Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you keep your phone on and surf / respond to texts when riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do you pull out your phone to respond to text messages or read facebook when riding?
Yes, I can't live without my technology.
5.94%
No, I enjoy the calm of the road and being on my bike.
72.28%
I like fluffy clouds
21.78%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19, 10:20 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

For me, riding is all about getting away. Away from the pestering sound of text messages, email, news, media, etc. Just getting out on the road and leaving all that stress behind. Me. My bike. The road. Riding is the only part of my day where I'm not being bothered by some sort of cellphone technology. I feel good leaving all that behind.

On my ride today, I kept seeing people pulled over at the side of the road or at stop lights on their phones. I know cellphones are designed to be addictive (see here, or here for a couple of examples) but am I too crusty to expect people to leave their tech behind for a ride?

What about you folks? Are you able to resist the urge of reading the most recent tweet from Hugh Jackman while on your ride?
Old 05-04-19, 10:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I made a resolve in the beginning to never let myself become addicted the my phone. I turn mine off whenever I exercise (gym, cycling, etc.). In fact, I keep mine off most of the time unless I'm making or expecting an important phone call. When the zombie apocalypse hits I won't be one of the masses.
Old 05-05-19, 04:23 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
If I get a call that’s important enough, I’ll pull off the road and take it or call right back. Texting is the same. If I get a text that needs to be responded to, I’ll pull over and handle it. Otherwise the phone stays in my pocket if I’m riding with tunes, or in the saddle bag if I’m not.

-Matt
Old 05-05-19, 05:18 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I look at Strava or Maps on my phone when I'm riding.

Pretty much no one calls or texts ... not outside business hours anyway.
Old 05-05-19, 05:29 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
I ride my bike to get away for the rat race, why would I bring it with me.
My phone sits in a jersey pocket, just in case of emergency.
I also like fluffy clouds.
Old 05-05-19, 05:49 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Phone is with me for safety purposes. It is tucked in my waist pack so I rarely know if someone tries to call as it is usually in silent mode. I will text my husband at controls on bike rides so he knows I’m still alive. But those are minimal texts, e.g. “mile 33 Freeport “
Old 05-05-19, 06:08 AM
silverado8405

Bikes: 2007 Trek 820, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Phone is for emergencies, I’ve gone so far as to turn off call/text/whatever notifications on the Garmin so I’m not bothered by it. So far I’ve had to use my phone a few times, once when I crashed to call the wife and other times are when we’ve gotten lost/road was closed to get back on route.
Old 05-05-19, 06:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I'll ride with the phone, and turned on. No, I can't imagine trying to use it though while riding. I typically will stop on the side of the road somewhere convenient if I need to respond to a text or whatnot. Also use the phone to run the RoadID app, which gives the family a link to find out where I am (and this in turn cuts down on the texts, so a win-win).

Finally, once in a while the phone is nice to have if coming across anything scenic I might want a photo of.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-05-19, 06:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
If you're looking for honest responses, your poll options should be a little more nuanced and a lot less asinine.

On solo rides, my phone is paired with my Wahoo - with a quick glance, I can screen my incoming calls/texts and decide whether or not they need to be addressed. The vast majority of the time, they can wait until I'm done or until I hit a long red light. On most rides, I don't stop other than for traffic controls. On some 'smell the roses' rides, though, I'll pause to take a pic or two and post them to IG/FB/Whatever. I don't otherwise surf or check social media on rides.

On group rides, I'll sometimes pull my phone out to check when I get audible notifications (the chat app that we use isn't compatible with notifications through the Wahoo), particularly if we have laggards that may be split off and/or meeting us someplace mid-ride.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-05-19, 07:03 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I receive every text simultaneously on the phone (in the back pocket), the smartwatch (on the wrist), and the Garmin (on the bars). Staying connected helps my SO feel comfortable with me riding solo, though there's no pre-set schedule, nor obligation, for intercourse.
Old 05-05-19, 08:28 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi

On solo rides, my phone is paired with my Wahoo - with a quick glance, I can screen my incoming calls/texts and decide whether or not they need to be addressed. The vast majority of the time, they can wait until I'm done. On most rides, I don't stop other than for traffic controls.
+1

I can't remember the last time I stopped to answer a call, or return a text.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-05-19, 08:29 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
Phone is always on but I don't go out of my way if I hear an alert. I check when I take a break. I too use it for riding apps. It's always in one of my jersey pockets.
How I use it while riding is how I use it when driving, I NEVER get distracted unlike those fools out there.
Old 05-05-19, 08:48 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I bring my phone just to have as an emergency communication device. Occasionally I'll check a message or snap a photo, but otherwise it remains in my jersey pocket, and typically for hours on end and/or for the entire duration of my ride.
Old 05-05-19, 08:58 AM
deepakvrao

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Only if It's a call or message from my hospital, and now Wahoo does not show caller id with Android 9, or at least the Android 9 on my Samsung. Duh. Waiting to get the 530.

Oh, and for pics all the time when I am on cycling vacations.
Old 05-05-19, 09:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You might occasionally see my checking the map on mine. And I use it for pictures.

I leave mine on and watch buzzes me when I get a text. I can read it on my wrist and decide what to do. They're almost never urgent, but it's usually good to know.
Old 05-05-19, 10:08 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

I can't remember the last time I stopped to answer a call, or return a text.
Yesterday my friend took my car to a race, I rode from the hotel to get it and meet her. I got there early, and decided to burn some time riding over a pass. I stopped mid ride and texted her that if I'm late it won't be by much she if she wanted to grab the car and find me, go E on 20.

There's no shame.
Old 05-05-19, 10:37 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Yesterday my friend took my car to a race, I rode from the hotel to get it and meet her. I got there early, and decided to burn some time riding over a pass. I stopped mid ride and texted her that if I'm late it won't be by much she if she wanted to grab the car and find me, go E on 20.

There's no shame.
I never said there was any shame.

I'd stop to answer a call or text, if it was important. When I go for a ride, the only stops are for traffic or refilling water bottles.
Old 05-05-19, 12:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My phone is on silent, not linked to other tech, and only gets used for the occasional map or photo. I'm not particularly important, and the people who seem to think they need me to do things urgently (work) will be just fine for a few hours (or even days). My phone does not have service on large portions of my rides, so there's that as well.

The only exceptions are if there are serious family things going on, though in those cases, I usually don't get a long ride anyhow. I'll also sometimes text my SO when I get back in service if there's been a mechanical or some serious delay so he knows I'm not dead.
Old 05-05-19, 01:01 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Different Strokes for well....

I work from home (freelance contractor) and with some of the jobs I get, waiting 10, 30, 60 minutes to respond to certain people, messages and other things going on can be a deal killer.

Because I have my phone and can take it with me I can pretty much ride whenever I want. Morning... noon... early evening. Whatever works best.

Where I ride is underpopulated. On my regular 1 hour rides I might get passed by 10 cars on a busy day. I see more wildlife than cars or people.

So I do use my phone as my bike computer and maps when needed and see my texts, calls and emails while I am riding. If it is important enough to reply I usually slow down or stop to make the reply or call back.

When I am in the city working a job and riding, I'll pull off the road, out of the path of others to return a call, text or email. I do often pull out my phone to quickly glance at notifications if I am in the city at a red light and did not bring my bike mount for the phone.

Texting, talking, emailing while riding on a road or path with other people / cars present is certainly not smart.

-Sean
Old 05-05-19, 02:40 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
My phone is on, but I never use it to call or text. Unless I pull over to take a short rest, I "might" pull it out if I'm expecting a call or have a need to make one. Folks know when I'm on the bike, it's all about me and the bike. I zone out and concentrate on what I love doing, riding my bike and they know that. So far, I have never missed an important call. And if there ever is one, there's really not much I can do but cut the ride short and head home. When I'm finished, it's business as usual.
Old 05-05-19, 02:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I have a dumb flip phone that is in a carrier zipped to the stem. Bluetooth is in ear and tucked under helmet strap. Wife has her ring and I will slow down and answer. Text comes thru I can retrieve phone and read/reply if road is empty and if not I pull over. Out on my 128 miler last Friday the phone rang at mile 115 and I answered, no traffic, then rode in circles for 5+ minutes talking to friend calling from Nova Scotia. Of course I was just slowly tooling along so no concentration needed.
Old 05-05-19, 02:52 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Carry the phone in jersey pocket, but turned off.

EMFs, & all that.

When I'm working, I leave it in the truck, & check every couple of hours.
Old 05-05-19, 03:21 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I turn the thing off, if driving the car or riding the bike. I'll turn it back on when arriving at my destination, or at a suitable spot for a break on a long trip.

For myself, it's the only safe way to travel.

For others, it's the only safe and respectful thing for me to do ... as I don't trust my ability to divide my attention from the road. (Though, that's me, and I appreciate many will find it well within their own abilities.)

Never have been addicted to the things. Still don't do a "smart" phone.

Works for me.
Old 05-05-19, 04:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I will text someone if needed while riding, but it's rare that I need to.
Same with calling someone- rare thst its needed, but if needed I will.

Riding a bike, for me, is secondary to keeping relationships in life. If there is a need in the real world, then it takes priority over riding a bike. That applies even if I'm on the bike at the time.
Old 05-05-19, 04:05 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I have a bike computer that shows me my text messages. I only pull the phone out if it's an urgent matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.