Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you keep your phone on and surf / respond to texts when riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do you pull out your phone to respond to text messages or read facebook when riding?
Yes, I can't live without my technology.
5.94%
No, I enjoy the calm of the road and being on my bike.
72.28%
I like fluffy clouds
21.78%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 05:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I never said there was any shame.

I'd stop to answer a call or text, if it was important. When I go for a ride, the only stops are for traffic or refilling water bottles.
For sure, and you didn't imply it either. I said that in general because most of the replies so far sounded like ignoring your phone comes next after HTFU in Velomaniti's rules.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-05-19, 05:53 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I have a bike computer that shows me my text messages. I only pull the phone out if it's an urgent matter.
Same here. I get notifications on my Garmin and on my AppleWatch; answer only when absolutely necessary.
Old 05-05-19, 06:43 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Sometimes yes, when I'm on call for work.

It pays well.

-Tim-
Old 05-05-19, 06:47 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For sure, and you didn't imply it either. I said that in general because most of the replies so far sounded like ignoring your phone comes next after HTFU in Velomaniti's rules.
I'm honestly really surprised by the responses here. I ride with a few people who have an earpiece (just one ear) and take both work and personal calls while riding...and have observed a few just take short calls and talk on the actual phone. There's also the selfie-masters and the occasional person texting/e-mailing from the back of the paceline. Strangely, the age correlation is the opposite of what you'd expect: it's the old guys who are on the phones!
Old 05-05-19, 06:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I can't hear my phone in my pocket but I do see texts and call notifications on my 520. I've used recently when a rider in our group crashed and needed help and when my Mom was in the hospital. Not necessary but useful.
Old 05-05-19, 09:02 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I never get pestered or distracted by a cell phone because I don't have one, and never have. Only fluffy clouds for me!
Old 05-05-19, 09:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I never get pestered or distracted by a cell phone because I don't have one, and never have. Only fluffy clouds for me!

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-06-19, 04:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'll ride with the phone, and turned on. No, I can't imagine trying to use it though while riding. I typically will stop on the side of the road somewhere convenient if I need to respond to a text or whatnot. Also use the phone to run the RoadID app, which gives the family a link to find out where I am (and this in turn cuts down on the texts, so a win-win).

Finally, once in a while the phone is nice to have if coming across anything scenic I might want a photo of.
Same here though I don't use the phone to link to the family, but I do use it to pinpoint my location on the larger paper map I carry.

I'm usually on call, so I have to keep it on; and I take photos on the road. I keep the phone handy, either in an inside front pocket in my safety vest, or a holster I have improvised (link).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-06-19 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 05:28 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
+1 for screening texts/calls on the Wahoo. I only stop to answer/reply if it's important or if I'm on call for work. Other than that I only take my phone out to take pictures of fluffy clouds.
Old 05-06-19, 06:56 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
I'm conflicted about this whole issue.

I would love nothing more than to turn my phone off when I go out for a bike ride (...and not turn it on again until the following millennia. Y'know, just to check for messages.) Nothing I hate more than having my cycling reverie interrupted by a text or call.

The only reason I carry a phone at all is in case of emergencies. The problem is, that goes both ways: My wife is often out on a bike ride herself -- sometimes the same one I'm on, sometimes not -- and she needs to be able to reach me in case of emergencies. So I carry a phone, and I keep it on.

But I hate it.
Old 05-06-19, 07:12 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
GPS funnels text notifications, but I have the phone on DnD, so no calls-- I cannot escape the scourge of the robocallers, so my phone invariably rings 3-4 times when I'm on a ride. That also means I have to check the phone at a stop light every once in awhile.

I have a wife who commutes, and two kids, each at different schools. Someone might need to get ahold of me. Shut the phone off for "me time?" Riding as a pursuit is selfish enough.

Using technology ≠ being addicted to technology. No one is being noble by shutting their phone off during a ride. Just means that they don't need it.

I have a family, I have friends, I have responsibilities, I have an online business, and sometimes I need to interact with any or all of those during the ride, whether I want to or not.
Old 05-06-19, 09:38 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding what peoples definition of an 'important' or 'must respond to' call/text would be. I mean if you have a wife that is 8+ months pregnant, that would be reasonable. Or if you're a doctor on call. But then...wtf are you doing on a bike hours away from home/work. But for everything else....

My phone is on silent all the time. If I'm on a ride, I don't look at it, or hear it.
Old 05-06-19, 09:59 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
It does seems that for many people, ignoring one's phone is apparently, not one of the choices that can be made. I'm not talking about business purposes, doctors on call, first responders etc. Just the need to give the instant like to that facebook post cannot be delayed with some folks.
Old 05-06-19, 10:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Phone goes in pocket. If there's a call or text I'll stop to answer. If I'm expecting a call I'll use a headset with one earplug and voice response. But I haven't needed that since last year when my mom was in hospice.

A friend runs a business on call 24/7, so he answers his phone during our rides. It might be better to use Bluetooth and hands free, but I'm not gonna lecture him.

I used a phone mount for a year or so but got tired of the clutter. I got a cheap wireless bike computer instead and put the phone away.
Old 05-06-19, 10:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
It does seems that for many people, ignoring one's phone is apparently, not one of the choices that can be made. I'm not talking about business purposes, doctors on call, first responders etc. Just the need to give the instant like to that facebook post cannot be delayed with some folks.
I haven't seen anybody say they've ever stopped a ride to like a Facebook post.
Old 05-06-19, 10:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I'm having a hard time understanding what peoples definition of an 'important' or 'must respond to' call/text would be. I mean if you have a wife that is 8+ months pregnant, that would be reasonable. Or if you're a doctor on call. But then...wtf are you doing on a bike hours away from home/work. But for everything else....

My phone is on silent all the time. If I'm on a ride, I don't look at it, or hear it.
Well, my friend ran a marathon Saturday while I was riding. She'd had a minor heart attack a week before.

I go on lunch rides with a buddy. We're both time constrained because of work. Cell phones make it easy to coordinate, one day we planned to stay the ride at Gas Works but he got a flat, so we I rode to meet him while he fixed it. Making better use of limited time is important.

A different buddy liked to text me at random times about weekend plans. I don't respond to these while riding, but I read them on my Garmin, and I'll think about whether I want to join or not.

Not so sure about the wife being 8 months pregnant, I figure she's had 8 months to get used to it, right?
Old 05-06-19, 10:46 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I keep my phone on silent/vibrate and in my jersey pocket during rides. If I'm expecting an important call or text I might check it at a stop light, but usually I don't even look at it until I get to the end of my ride.
Old 05-06-19, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I keep my phone on silent/vibrate and in my jersey pocket during rides. If I'm expecting an important call or text I might check it at a stop light, but usually I don't even look at it until I get to the end of my ride.
+1 for day rides. If I am touring, I may check it during a rest break. Sometimes take photos and text them if there is a strong enough signal. That's assuming I am in a place that has service. I have been in "dark" territory for multiple days. When I know or think that's going to happen, I let the person who is responsible for calling for help if I don't keep in touch know. Keep the thing off except when I need it for an alarm clock. No sense is burning the battery.
Old 05-06-19, 11:28 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Phone stays in my back pocket unless:
1) My Garmin announces a text message of call that I know to be important (wife or boss) in which case I stop and decide if it can wait or needs immediate response.
2) Tunes stop, in which case I stop and figure out what happened, or I just ride without.
3) I will take it out while riding to take scenic pictures, with out stopping my ride.

To be fair, while I do rely on this device for a lot of my information (overload), a lot of my rides are in areas with low to no cell coverage, so I am not missing anything. To be even more fair, even when I get great cell coverage, most notifications are just crap, so there is nothing to miss!
Old 05-06-19, 03:23 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My phone is on, but I can see text msg on my Garmin , also caller ID shows on my Garmin. Will respond when I take a break, if I desire. KB
Old 05-06-19, 04:46 PM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
No, my phone stays home no matter what the ride is.
Old 05-06-19, 07:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Does anyone keep their phone on for entertainment when riding?...music, podcasts, talk shows, language lessons...
Old 05-06-19, 07:54 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
My phone is on perpetual do not disturb for all except my wife and daughter, and they're not going to bother me on a ride unless it's important.

I carry my phone while I ride for my gps program, sometimes music, and mostly in case I have an issue, oh, and to take the occasional picture.
Old 05-06-19, 07:55 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Most of where I ride has no cell phone service, but when in range, iMessage texts come through on my Garmin. I only give out my info to family members and close friends, so there isn't much in the way of disruption. All my phone calls go to google voice, and the messages get transcribed and emailed to me, so I can read them and respond at my convenience. I am fortunate to have a job that doesn't involve using a phone.
Old 05-06-19, 08:00 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
My phone is on 100% of the time and is used to connect to my Wahoo when on a ride. I also have the Strava app on when I ride. I rarely take calls or answer IM's when on a ride. But the phone was useful 2x last season to get an Uber when chains broke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.