Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Aelle tubing opinions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Aelle tubing opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 04:52 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Ochsner info?

Just had it PC'd

Original
Originally Posted by uncle uncle
My Aelle tubed Oschner bicycle felt noticeably stiffer than the manganese spiced steel of my previous ride, a Puch Pathfinder AD (made with Puch blended 2800 tubing). I bought the Pathfinder AD on the recommendation of a fellow rider/friend, who said that Reynolds 531 tubing used manganese (instead of chromoly) in their steel, to juice it up. So, it made some sense to me to give another, similar spiced mix of steel, a go. The Oschner was stiffer, but it also beat me up more, and thus made long rides less enjoyable (and maybe harder to convince myself to take). Like many design choices, there are always trade offs. So, my path to an Aelle spec'ed bicycle was just as T-Mar mapped out; I wanted something more upscale, but a real superbike was out of the question for the college going me back then. I think we all tend to pontificate the virtues of whatever we end up buying/riding, for the most part. I myself, I want to ride as many bicycles as I can, and experience and enjoy them all, for their good and bad points, as cornball as that may sound.
I am curious about the year model of your Ochsner. What color is it and what components were stock? I have an Ochsner, originally blue, that I purchased new in 1992, but I am not certain of the actual model year. It came with 105 indexed, downtube shifters. Mavic MA 2 rims with 105 hubs. I am in the process of rebuilding this bike and just had it powder coated. I purchased new decals, same as original, from Velocal. I have done some research but not all that much info available. Serial number base seems to not exist. thanks
Old 04-07-19, 05:47 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1

I am curious about the year model of your Ochsner. What color is it and what components were stock? I have an Ochsner, originally blue, that I purchased new in 1992, but I am not certain of the actual model year. It came with 105 indexed, downtube shifters. Mavic MA 2 rims with 105 hubs. I am in the process of rebuilding this bike and just had it powder coated. I purchased new decals, same as original, from Velocal. I have done some research but not all that much info available. Serial number base seems to not exist. thanks
My frame was blue; the same blue as your frame was. I purchased it in 1985, or 86, while I worked at a bicycle shop. It came like a kit, totally disassembled, and I built it up with the shop manager (at the time) after work and on weekends. By totally, I mean I had to build the wheels from the components, install the bottom bracket, install the fork, etc. With the work and time involved in assembling it, I don't really think it made much sense, cost wise, unless you were like me, and had access to the tools and the know how (most of the know how came from the shop manager, not me).

You could order different groupos with it, at the time, like Campy Victory, Campy Triomphe, and Shimano (something). I chose the Victory groupo. The rims were Mavic (MA40's I believe). Cinelli bars and stem (I believe).

I think the same frame was available for numerous years (that's conjecture on my part, as I have no proof) and the parts for the kit were probably updated as time passed.

Mine was the one and only to pass thru the shop, as the business owner didn't want to get into selling Oschner's... I wasn't even allowed to put the bike shop sticker on it, which was fine, I didn't really want to anyways. The owner was a bit set in their ways.
Old 04-07-19, 05:50 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I have a Atala special that’s tri tube aelle, and I enjoy it very much.
Old 04-07-19, 05:57 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Thank you much for your reply. I have never seen another Ochsner in person, just pictures, and mostly on Bike Forums. The shop I bought mine from only had two and the other was purchased by one of their employees. It seems most of them were that blue color. I have seen a couple of pictures of red ones.
Old 04-07-19, 08:17 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Thank you much for your reply. I have never seen another Ochsner in person, just pictures, and mostly on Bike Forums. The shop I bought mine from only had two and the other was purchased by one of their employees. It seems most of them were that blue color. I have seen a couple of pictures of red ones.
Blue by far seems to be the most prevalent color choice. I've seen pictures of both red colored and all chrome Oschners. I believe both of these colors might have been reserved for fancier tubesets.

Old 06-28-19, 12:06 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
My "Aelle" Bottecchia feels similar to my "SL" Colnago. After riding many frame sets of different tubing grades and manufacture, I still believe that fit and geometry are more important, eschewing a weight obsession, to enjoyment and efficiency. That being said, I only weigh about 135 lbs and tend not to cause much torsional stress to a frame, nor does the road "feel" significantly different regardless of the bike unless I change wheels, rims, tires, and/or pressures; also to include saddles, gloves, and/or bar wrap. I've never ridden carbon or Ti frames so no reference, but even steel compared to aluminum doesn't phase me much. I'm probably not riding long enough (25-50 miles) rides to feel it. I've not compared steel vs. alloy bars, but with a 50's bike (Lygie) getting built I'll be riding with steel bars on a race frame for the first time so should be interesting how the arms feel with that difference. The main difference I notice in a frame comes more down to what size frame I'm riding when fit properly. I'm 5'7", but I have comfortably ridden frames from 47cm up to 61cm, the smaller frames are in general much stiffer. I'm weird, I just enjoy riding anything that can go fast.
Old 06-28-19, 09:24 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Back in the 80's I had a OLMO made with Aelle and another OLMO made with Columbus SL. The SL had full Campy Super Record and was my main Race bike, the Aelle had Campy, Galli, Modolo and Ofmega parts on it. It was built as a Training bike with a moderate $ investment and nothing to cry over If I wrecked it.

I Rode both bikes up some pretty steep climbs and some hairy descents, full blown sprints and some pretty fast Crits. My Aelle OLMO succumbed to top tube corrosion as I took it Hawaii for 2 years and I sold it dirt cheap. After everything was said and done I never had a preferance as both bikes rode very well and never let me down. I rode the Aelle Olmo in a race in Japan and everyone there thought It was the greatest thing ever just because it was the only ITALIAN bike in the bunch. ( I got spit out the back in the last mile, but I looked good)

I think the tubing doesnt really matter as a bike is a sum of its parts.