Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to Reduce Image Size ... ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to Reduce Image Size ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 09:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Web based version of Photoshop.

https://pixlr.com/editor/
Old 07-22-18, 09:54 AM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Doesn't it all go together? The reason the file sizes are so huge is because the dimensions of the pictures as taken by a phone are 3.5 feet by 6 feet.
Yes, but no; you can reduce file size without changing the dimensions, the real challenge is decreasing file size without effecting image quality.
Old 07-22-18, 11:38 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dylandewandel
Yes, but no; you can reduce file size without changing the dimensions, the real challenge is decreasing file size without effecting image quality.
correct. to clarify (i think), you can reduce file size without changing the dimensions THROUGH COMPRESSION. jpeg is a lossy compression scheme. you lose digital material/info, but the dimensions of the photo remain the same. in Photoshop, there is a sliding scale from 1 to 12 during an intermediate step in saving. the more you compress, the more chance you'll lose quality due to the jpeg process throwing away "redundant" pixels. but you can increase compression quite a bit without noticing it once actually posted.

it's all a balancing act. my iPhone photos are huge. I crop to something like 8-10 inches across for horizontals (i've never embraced pixel dimensions lol), at 80-100ppi (you only really need at least 72ppi). then while saving as a jpeg, i choose 5, 6, or 7. this usually leads to an image from 60k-125k. with no evident loss of quality to my eyes.

eric
fresno, ca.
(also a professional photographer, newspaper, so i work with jpegs every day)

Last edited by ericzamora; 07-22-18 at 11:42 AM.