Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The price of your bike is going up

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The price of your bike is going up

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 08:45 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,633 Times in 3,478 Posts
Just a word of caution, please stay away from the politics. Thanky.
Old 07-12-18, 09:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Just a word of caution, please stay away from the politics. Thanky.
Yep, as soon as someone mentioned Campy, I knew we'd get this warning. Those arguments can get brutal.
Old 07-12-18, 09:12 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
You don't have a choice in most cases. All bearings are made in China today...and as of July 6th there's a 25% tariff on Chinese bearings. All bike computers are made in China. You don't have a choice. Capitalism has sent all the manufacture of that stuff where the margin is the highest.

I'm honestly not sure if for tariff purposes the USA recognizes a difference between Taiwan and China. The USA has been backing down a great deal about the independence of Taiwan the last decade.
Avoiding Chinese crap is hard, as you say, but they do not make all the bearings, most ceramic bearings are not Chinese. But it is the way it is because we the consumers are willing to overlook where items are made for cheap prices.

Taiwan is not part of the tariffs, it is considered a separate trade zone.
Old 07-12-18, 09:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I bought 5 "last" bikes starting in about 1985. I now have a LWB recumbent bike and a trike. At 80 years old I guess I am fortunate to probably set for life. I have noticed to that replace my bike and trike with the same ones, it would cost $1200 more than I paid for them.
Old 07-12-18, 11:43 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Does anybody know where all this tariff money goes? I'm guessing it's not going to help local industries...
Old 07-12-18, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
deep well of debt will suck it up .
Old 07-12-18, 12:24 PM
79SchwinnWS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like I need to start a bicycle manufacturing plant and make TOP quality bicycles with 100% American labor and parts,might cost more but you pay for what you get and if there are people out there willing to spend $300,000 on a car or $30,000 on a motorcycle,I'm sure there are people willing to spend money on a great bicycle!
Old 07-12-18, 01:06 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by 79SchwinnWS
Sounds like I need to start a bicycle manufacturing plant and make TOP quality bicycles with 100% American labor and parts,might cost more but you pay for what you get and if there are people out there willing to spend $300,000 on a car or $30,000 on a motorcycle,I'm sure there are people willing to spend money on a great bicycle!
But we can already get "great, top quality bicycles" for a decent price. Your American model doesn't work, or it would be already be happening. Americans want (demand) high wages and low cost goods. Exactly how does the math work out on this? It can't, and it's more than silly attempting to force it to work.
Old 07-12-18, 04:03 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
maga
Old 07-12-18, 04:56 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
This thread ain't gonna make it...
Old 07-12-18, 05:49 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
It wasn’t meant to be a political thread or statement at all, please abide.

Simply - bicycling retailer quote advising of expected increases.

just an informational thread referencing an industry report.

sorta like if this was a Corn Forum, and I quoted cornretailer.com

edit: I like the buy Campy suggestion. Have the U.K. and EU sites been able to give us good prices lately???

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-12-18 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 05:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
It wasn’t meant to be a political thread or statement at all, please abide.

Simply - bicycling retailer quote advising of expected increases.

just an informational thread referencing an industry report.

sorta like if this was a Corn Forum, and I quoted cornretailer.com
it's a tough one. The subject involves global trade(a political touch point) and a couple of reactionary and spiteful governments. This is being done at the behest of the political leader of the US...tough for it to not be political.

anyways, i wpuld be fascinated to read a non-biased report 10 years from now which details the results/effects of this on the cycling industry.
Perhaps impact a lot or perhaps not much at all.
Old 07-12-18, 06:05 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
it's a tough one. The subject involves global trade(a political touch point) and a couple of reactionary and spiteful governments. This is being done at the behest of the political leader of the US...tough for it to not be political.

anyways, i wpuld be fascinated to read a non-biased report 10 years from now which details the results/effects of this on the cycling industry.
Perhaps impact a lot or perhaps not much at all
It'll be used to justify another round of price hikes, even if the tariffs are quite fleeting.

Think back to the gas price spikes a decade or so ago. Overnight gas doubled. Everyone who had to ship anything increased prices to compensate. Well those spikes came and went...but bikes and bike part prices went up and stayed up--and have been climbing ever since. Entry level road bikes used to be Sora at around $600USD, now Sora bikes are $1200, and to service the low end Shimano had to implement an even crappier groupset.
Old 07-12-18, 06:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Questions I thought might come up are?

Will it impact our industry?
Will there be ways to get products to the US at lower-than-list prices?
Will your LBS feel it at all?
Is bicycle demand elastic across the price spectrum?

you guys are supposed to be smart and inquisitive. Maybe someone is an insider to the big boys?

edit: where’s @trekmogul for the inside scoop? Price of wheels or shoes going up? Price revision across the board or selectively?

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-12-18 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-12-18, 06:47 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I don't believe the mainstream bikes that many typical Americans buy like hybrids or the inexpensive road and mountain bikes are really going to see a profound price increase. Nor am I to believe we will see a large decrease in the sales of these bikes.
I think we are going to see the biggest increases in the higher cost bikes like the carbon fiber bikes coming from China and other countries. I wonder if those bikes will start losing sales to the lesser expensive Aluminum and steel bikes. Especially for the consumers whom may only be buying those bikes for the cool factor? Example Specialized Crosstrail carbon or the Sirrus Carbon.

I'm also betting that since in my view as in regarding trails and many cities attempting to become bicyclist friendly in the U.S. that we will continue to see the industry for a few more years at the current sales level.
This could change though if these Tariffs become long term.

It's my understanding LBS really don't make much off the bikes anyways, but mostly from services. What I wonder though if we will see larger shops like Performance Bikes or BikesDirect feel the crunch since they seem to sell the bikes at a larger discount than elsewhere.
Old 07-12-18, 06:59 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
price is relative. If it costs more people will pay more or they wont. The free market will make it work out. If bikes don't sell the price will drop.

the sky is not falling..........yet
Old 07-12-18, 07:05 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Looks like those people with a whole bunch of bikes might have made a good investment.
Finally, it's gonna pay off!
Old 07-12-18, 07:07 PM
rydabent
Banned

The big problem with rising bike prices is for us old guys. We are retired and usually on a fixed income. We dont get raises to keep up with the ever increasing prices.

BTW most bikes are made in Asia somewhere. Where doesnt make much difference since the luggless filet welded bike frame is pretty much done by robots. They claim that filet welding doesnt harm the metal tubes, but some how I doubt that. The lugged frames were brazed at a much lower temp, therefore didnt affect the strength of the tubing that much. Far nicer looking frames too!!!
Old 07-13-18, 01:09 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'm getting a 1956 Columbia next month. Sigh of relief. $185 with the ride. RIDER.

Last edited by Rollfast; 07-15-18 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Got the serial number, it's a '56, no big deal.
Old 07-13-18, 02:06 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Once more thing...the state of Oregon added a surcharge to purchases of new bicycles over $200 a couple-three years ago. Bicycles are easy targets for this when they don't contribute to road taxes via the usual fuel taxes.

For now, you can be American and buy used. Or you can also be American and get the bike you wanted. Did this stop big truck/SUV purchases even when gas hit $3-4 a gallon? Americans buy what they want and adjust. Whether it makes any sense to you or not, it's what works here.
Old 07-13-18, 07:04 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
My last bike cost $149 from Nashbar in Februrary. Even a 25% tariff would mean $37 bucks. The bike before that, I fished out of the trash in November, I did pay $699 for a bike three years ago. That's what started this N+6 silliness.

Nonetheless, this trade war stuff mads me mad/sad.
Old 07-13-18, 10:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by superpletch
price is relative. If it costs more people will pay more or they wont. The free market will make it work out. If bikes don't sell the price will drop.

the sky is not falling..........yet

Off-topic, and a bit persnickety, but therein lies the problem: tariffs distort market outcomes, hence no more 'free market.' Of course, the tariffs were imposed because Trump thinks the market was already rigged in favor of other countries.
Old 07-13-18, 01:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
If I knew more about the subject at hand there would be an intelligent comment In this space. All I know is that taxes go up every year where I live and for some reason nobody complains about it.
Old 07-13-18, 05:57 PM
rydabent
Banned

Im sure the cost of computer run robots must be going down some. This might be a good time for some American company to buy a couple and start making bike frames here in the US. It would probably cost some more, but the tariffs would seem to cover that cost. They could make a standard road and mountain bike frame. US bike mfg could then paint them in their colors.
Old 07-13-18, 06:36 PM
79SchwinnWS

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
If I knew more about the subject at hand there would be an intelligent comment In this space. All I know is that taxes go up every year where I live and for some reason nobody complains about it.
Same around here..I figure everybody is wealthy and is just glad to pay more each year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.