Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The price of your bike is going up

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The price of your bike is going up

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 08:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10959 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The big problem with rising bike prices is for us old guys. We are retired and usually on a fixed income. We dont get raises to keep up with the ever increasing prices.
you must not have looked recently, but may working adults also arent seeing raises that keep up with ever increasing prices.
Old 07-15-18, 05:29 AM
OHMO
Grumpy, whiny, old man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
An increase in the price of bikes should be the least of our concerns. Some companies are already cutting jobs.
I retired from a steel mill which was shut down by the parent corporation less than a year later. In April laid off employees were being called back and new employees hired to bring the coke ovens, blast furnace, and steel making back online. A week after the tariff announcements those plans were canceled and the nearly 2000 employees - new and old - were, again, laid off. This time it is probably permanent no matter what happens politically.
Old 07-15-18, 06:48 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I think bikes have been overpriced for quite some time simply because of increased demand. With their current well-padded mark-up margins, manufacturers and retailers should easily be able to weather this. Those who exploit this issue as a way to raise prices will end up losing in the end.
Old 07-15-18, 07:49 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
I think bikes have been overpriced for quite some time simply because of increased demand. With their current well-padded mark-up margins, manufacturers and retailers should easily be able to weather this. Those who exploit this issue as a way to raise prices will end up losing in the end.

No they won't. They'll all see the opportunity, and all will leverage it. Same as the gas price spike days.

Cycling being the New Golf, people will still pay the prices.
Old 07-15-18, 08:33 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by OHMO
I retired from a steel mill which was shut down by the parent corporation less than a year later. In April laid off employees were being called back and new employees hired to bring the coke ovens, blast furnace, and steel making back online. A week after the tariff announcements those plans were canceled and the nearly 2000 employees - new and old - were, again, laid off. This time it is probably permanent no matter what happens politically.
What is the name of this mill?
Old 07-15-18, 12:31 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
No they won't. They'll all see the opportunity, and all will leverage it. Same as the gas price spike days.

I highly doubt there will be some industry wide price collusion. Competition will still drive the market. The manufactures who offer the best price/value will capture more market share. Why would any single manufacture not want to do this?
Old 07-15-18, 12:39 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

I highly doubt there will be some industry wide price collusion. Competition will still drive the market. The manufactures who offer the best price/value will capture more market share. Why would any single manufacture not want to do this?
You're welcome to doubt it...but that is exactly what happened during the gas spikes. Everyone had a gentlemen's agreement to raise prices (after all fiduciary obligation to investors), and demand was enough to make investors happy...if not consumers. Prices went up and stayed up....instead of trickle-down tech, as had been the talk all the top-of-the-millennium....Shimano had to debut the "Claris" groupset in 2013, with the very latest in 1990s 8-speed shifting to even have a (crappy) groupset for entry-level bikes at all.
Old 07-15-18, 01:21 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts

sad truth.
Old 07-15-18, 01:34 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Actually, gas prices adjusted for inflation came down over the years.

The tariffs just raise prices. Both imported and domestically manufactured laundry equipment went up in price, for example. Arguably, steel makers and others 'protected' by tariffs saw pricing improvement, but users of steel - and that's almost all of us, even if our bikes contain not an ounce of steel - suffer.
Old 07-15-18, 01:44 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by philbob57
Actually, gas prices adjusted for inflation came down over the years.

The tariffs just raise prices. Both imported and domestically manufactured laundry equipment went up in price, for example. Arguably, steel makers and others 'protected' by tariffs saw pricing improvement, but users of steel - and that's almost all of us, even if our bikes contain not an ounce of steel - suffer.
There's a big old "but". If you inflation adjust incomes like you do gas prices....incomes have been flat or falling for a long while (decades). Sure gas "costs the same" per unit volume...OTOH people are earning less money. Oh, and cost of living has been going up as well.
Old 07-15-18, 01:55 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Oh, sure, the old 'but incomes haven't risen' complaint. The next thing you'll mention is 'wealth has gotten a lot more concentrated over the last 35 years.' Or perhaps you'll argue that beneficiaries of tax cuts buy more politicians who give their buyers even more favorable tax treatment and a judiciary that values corporations' 'rights' over individual rights whenever they clash.

I don't know how to respond except to say it's about politics. Consider when the income distribution started changing in a way that moves us back to the good old days of 100 years ago. Consider who held political power when wealth started getting re-concentrated. And consider how they got voted into power.
Old 07-15-18, 03:37 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Increase in bikes is minimal when you think how much apple and samsung want for new phones. That is what you call gouging at it's finest.
Old 07-15-18, 05:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
it isn't even really planned a dn conspiratorial collusion. People who make and sell bikes ... or import and sell bikes ... want to make enough money to life their lives.

if the guy across the street buys a bike for $400 sells a bike for $1000, and you buy the same bike for $400 and sell it for $500 ... you might not be able to pay the rent the first week no one buys a bike. or, you might have to eat Ramen noodles and tell your kids they need to wear hand-me-downs ans forget college .....

If the bike goes up in price to $500 and the guy across the street sells it foe $1200 ... you might sell it for $1100 ... but why leave money on the table? Would you still get the sale if you sold it for $1150? Would you really make up in volume for the lost per-item profit if you sold the bike for $600?

Sometimes a gas station will undercut a competitor by a penny a gallon ... why drop to ten cents less if a penny is enough? But ... sometimes people will pay an extra penny if the station is on the side of the street they are on ... and station owners know this.

And as far as distributors ... I wouldn't doubt that at conferences they make connections, and I wouldn't doubt that as some level collusion might happen. Human nature. "Look, if we fight over pennies ling enough we kill each other. let's set a minimum, and sell to our retail outlets at that price. After all, people are still going to need gas."

Of course, bikes are a luxury item ... so the mark-up on the higher-priced will go up and people will pay it. Look how many people will buy a Trek or a Specialized when a Giant with a better frame and the exact same components costs a little less ... because of the name. Look how few people will buy a much cheaper Fuji which has and does everything the Trek or Spec does ... because the Fuji is cheaper ... it must not be as good.

So, the low-end stuff will increase in price as little as possible, and the bigger retailers will even lose a little profit on the cheap stuff, and make it back on the more expensive stuff.
Old 07-15-18, 05:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Increase in bikes is minimal when you think how much apple and samsung want for new phones. That is what you call gouging at it's finest.
technology is a different beast to use as a comparison. Smart devices really have not been around as much as bicycles. The gadgets/widgets/doodads that are being put on bicycles might see the most impact; especially if the bicycle being bought comes with the technology already equipped from the retailer.
Old 07-15-18, 10:24 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Want American? Check out Allied. I think that (Alfa) will be my next bike. Or, import directly from China yourself, avoid duties.

scott s.
Old 07-15-18, 10:42 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I am not worried about the price of a bike going up. I am worried that if I do buy another bike, Mrs. Blue192 will grab my scrotum and pull it up over my head. I wish I were allowed more than three bicycles. QQ
Old 07-15-18, 11:59 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by Maelochs
And as far as distributors ... I wouldn't doubt that at conferences they make connections, and I wouldn't doubt that as some level collusion might happen. Human nature. "Look, if we fight over pennies ling enough we kill each other. let's set a minimum, and sell to our retail outlets at that price. After all, people are still going to need gas."
Wait... what about MSRP? You know, the prices listed by MANUFACTURES for their bikes? Are distributers dicking with this too?

I'm not buying the collusion conspiracy theory. Manufactures set their prices to be competitive. Even the top end bikes have to compete with the offerings of other manufactures.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 07-16-18 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-16-18, 01:28 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
It'll be used to justify another round of price hikes, even if the tariffs are quite fleeting.

Think back to the gas price spikes a decade or so ago. Overnight gas doubled. Everyone who had to ship anything increased prices to compensate. Well those spikes came and went...but bikes and bike part prices went up and stayed up--and have been climbing ever since. Entry level road bikes used to be Sora at around $600USD, now Sora bikes are $1200, and to service the low end Shimano had to implement an even crappier groupset.
I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

Sora first showed up on model-year-2001 bikes. It was typical at that time for them to MSRP around $650, such as the Trek 1000.
Entry-level Sora bikes today are not $1200; from major bike-shop brands, offerings like the Specialized Allez Sport or Trek Domane AL 3 run about $950.
And going by CPI, $650 in 2001 is about $930 right now.
Old 07-16-18, 03:05 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
technology is a different beast to use as a comparison. Smart devices really have not been around as much as bicycles. The gadgets/widgets/doodads that are being put on bicycles might see the most impact; especially if the bicycle being bought comes with the technology already equipped from the retailer.
Smart HDTV have sure gotten a lot less expensive since they first came out.
Old 07-16-18, 07:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
So ... the price of DI2 and eTap is going to skyrocket?
Old 07-16-18, 12:59 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
We just need to let Bicycle Blue Book set the prices and our problem will be solved...
Old 07-16-18, 01:56 PM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by bruce19
maga
+1

Cervélo to assemble bikes in Northern California

Published July 16, 2018

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/nort...a#.W0z3CNJKjcc
Old 07-16-18, 07:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Does Russia make any bikes? US may be able to get favorable deals from them...
Old 07-17-18, 05:25 AM
Lazyass

Does Russia make any bikes? US may be able to get favorable deals from them...
I agree, we did hit the reset button with them a few years ago. Triton makes some sweet ti bikes. Look at this chainstay.

Old 07-17-18, 06:25 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
... Triton makes some sweet ti bikes. Look at this chainstay...
I agree. Triton is doing superb work, if you're willing to wait for it.

My last three bike frame acquisitions have been vintage: Japanese, French, and French

So...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.