Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Forged in Fire episode last night

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Forged in Fire episode last night

Old 07-19-18, 08:51 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgconner
None of the bikes they had looked like anything better than a Walmart special.
I did wonder if those were steel or aluminum frames. But none of the contestants seemed the slightest bit interested in them so no way for viewers to know.
Old 07-20-18, 12:11 PM
Stratocaster

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
What is the point of it?

It's CYCLECIDE.

And you've lost 30-60 minutes of your life you could have spent watching the CIA etc telling NCIS they were in charge and NCIS solving the crime anyway.

Old 07-20-18, 01:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
None of the bikes they had looked like anything better than a Walmart special.
Originally Posted by rachel120
I did wonder if those were steel or aluminum frames. But none of the contestants seemed the slightest bit interested in them so no way for viewers to know.
Ok, I've managed to find the show.

They all looked like steel frames to me. Fine tig welded, thin dropouts when visible.

GOOD RIDDANCE of those bikes Fixies?

I'm wondering if the issue with using bike tubes for canisters is that they would risk blowing out when one started mashing on them with the hammers and presses. Also, their presses seem optimized for square canisters.

Oddly, the one thing I didn't see them use was the U-Lock and cable locks. They should donate good steel.

In fact, the U-Lock would have been enough steel for use without the canisters.

For that matter,also the brake/shift cables, and cable housings.

However, one issue might be zinc.

Could one flash off the zinc before sealing the canister?
Old 07-21-18, 07:40 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Ok, I've managed to find the show.

They all looked like steel frames to me. Fine tig welded, thin dropouts when visible.

GOOD RIDDANCE of those bikes Fixies?

I'm wondering if the issue with using bike tubes for canisters is that they would risk blowing out when one started mashing on them with the hammers and presses. Also, their presses seem optimized for square canisters.
If you watch the show much, you know that one of the major failure modes comes from having to wield many small pieces into a larger billet. A lot of small parts means lots of chances for failure. The cables are probably the worst, with built in voids everywhere. One show they made blades from 1 to 2 inch thick cables, and it was a horrible mess.

The walls of the bike tubes are probably way too thin at less than a mm thick at the ends for the sort of brutal wielding those guys generally do. It would be ideal for the "leave the can on" as the tubes have so much less material to grind away to find the hard steel.

The paint might be another problem, that stuff is pretty toxic when it burns.
Old 07-25-18, 02:21 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
If you watch the show much, you know that one of the major failure modes comes from having to wield many small pieces into a larger billet. A lot of small parts means lots of chances for failure. The cables are probably the worst, with built in voids everywhere. One show they made blades from 1 to 2 inch thick cables, and it was a horrible mess.
It is interesting that some contestants get perfect forge welds, and others get horrible forge welds. Likewise, some do great with the canister Damascus, and some struggle with it.

The bicycle brake and derailleur cables are likely small enough that they wouldn't introduce huge voids, although cheap cables are galvanized, and even the quality ones should be cleaned.

Cable Housing should be able to be flattened easily enough, then like other things, it may come down to cleanliness.

For the cable locks, one might be able to chop the cable into say 1/2" chunks, and if a twisted cable, it should unravel enough to fill most of the voids with the filler metal. For a braided cable, it could be harder to separate.
Old 07-25-18, 05:40 AM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bnewberry
I didn't see the episode but I am a knife maker. Most common bike frame steel doesn't have as much carbon in it as we would want for hardening. For example, Reynolds 531 is said to contain .35% carbon. Most knife steels will have .70% or more.

On edit, you could probably make a knife out of the axles and bearings if you wanted to as they would likely be higher carbon.
I'm not a knife maker, but I can make a nice knife. The carbon content on the frame tubing was my assumption.
Old 07-25-18, 07:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by sevenmag
I'm not a knife maker, but I can make a nice knife. The carbon content on the frame tubing was my assumption.
Processing time also. The tubes would need to be sawn into short lengths, stripped of paint, and oil and rust inside, then pounded flat and stacked and forged to make a Damascus billet. Huge time-intensive effort since the tube walls are so thin .... the entire frame might not yield enough steel to make a single blade.