Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chain selection advice/ Sun Tour New Winner Ultra freewheel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 07:22 PM
Olympianrider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here’s a question for the vintage-bike experts –

I am in the process of upgrading an old vintage bicycle, and am hoping some of you may be able to offer advice on chain selection.I am using a vintage frame with old style 120 mm spacing (and I don’t want to alter the frame to fit something larger). I’ve just ordered a vintage Sun Tour New Winner freewheel, with “ultra” spacing between cogs.

According to the info I've found online, this freewheel fits into the standard 120 mm space. But because it uses slightly narrower space between gears, you’re able to get six cogs on the gear cluster, rather than the standard five. This particular freewheel seems to have quite a following – I gather it was highly regarded in the late '70s and early '80s. But none of the webpages tell me the best chain to use.

Back when these were new, I assume there really wasn't much choice -- a chain was a chain. But in the ensuing years we've seen narrower and narrower chains hit the market as rear gear clusters add enormous numbers of gears. Since the spacing between gears on this particular freewheel is slightly narrower than standard, I’m thinking a slightly narrower chain might be a good idea. Some posters on this forum in the past have mentioned that they have gotten good results with chains designed for Shimano 7-speed systems.

But I gather that there may be a tradeoff. It sounds like a narrower chain increases the chance you might drop the chain between gears when shifting the front derailleur.

So let me just say that I am using a standard Campagnolo Nuovo Record triple crank in the front. Also, I'm using an all-friction setup (with a Nuovo Record derailleur on the front, a first-generation Campy Rally derailleur on the back, and Sun Tour bar-end shifters). Any recommendations on the chain type to use? And are some chains designed better than others?

Erik Smith
Olympia, WA

Last edited by Olympianrider; 07-20-18 at 07:36 PM.
Likes For Olympianrider:
Old 07-20-18, 07:42 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I had an ultra 6 freewheel on my bike in the eighties. The chain that worked best during that time period was Sedisport.
Old 07-20-18, 07:52 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I use Sram chains. Not sure of the model but it works on 5,6,7 speed freewheels. $20 at my local bike shop.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 07-20-18, 08:26 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've always had good luck with 8 speed sram chains on 5, 6, 7 speed freewheels (including suntour ultra spacing)
Old 07-20-18, 09:04 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I have some real world experience that might help you.

I used a modern-day KMC 8.93 8-speed chain with a 6 speed Ultra freewheel,13-24 cogs, Shimano 600 Arabesque derailleurs and Dura Ace 7400 8-speed crankset with 53/39 rings. Worked perfect. No chain rub, no derailleur locks, nothing. Just smooth shifting.

Recently swapped to a Velo Orange 48/34 compact crankset and 14-28 cogs on the same Ultra freewheel. Still no apparent chain issues but the derailleur does occasionally lock up when I slam it into biggest cog while on the biggest chainring. I suspect it may be a chain length issue (I did add a few links), a needed derailleur adjustment or a derailleur capacity limitation. I don’t think it’s the 8 speed chain contributing to this but I haven’t ruled it out. Still very ridable so I haven’t spent much time diagnosing the root cause.

Last edited by plonz; 07-20-18 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 09:10 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I had a New Winner Ultra 7-speed freewheel on one bike that worked fine for several years with a Sedisport chain; this was before masterlinks. I switched to an SRAM PC80, and while it worked fine, there was a slight "hitch" I could feel intermittently in the middle-most gears. The freewheel wasn't anywhere near worn. This bothered me enough that I replaced the FW with a Suntour 6 speed; problem solved. The SRAM chains are highly regarded; just reporting my personal experience. I thought about trying a Wipperman, but they're more expensive. Still have the Ultra freewheel, and may try it again on another bike sometime. Sedisport chains are not that easy to find nowadays, and anyway I like the convenience of a master link.
Old 07-20-18, 09:39 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I remember buying a couple of the Suntour ultra 6 speed freewheels back when. In order to get them to work properly, a new chain was in order. I don't know if the new chains (Sedisport being the popular one, and the brand that we bought) were any narrower than the previious 5 and 6 speed chains, but the rivets were different and didn't extend past the side plate making the space they needed a bit less. Also, the Sedisport chains were more flexible side-to-side than earlier chains wqhich gave better shifting.

As for sprocket spacing, ultra 6 is the same spacing as 7 speed and the same as Campagnolo 8 speed. Shimano 8 speed is a tad narrower, but not much of a tad. Any 7 speed or 8 speed chain should work with an Ultra 6 speed though the tooth design of the old sprockets was not as shift-friendly as the newer.

In my experience, a 7/8 speed chain will work fine on the front sprockets. I have a bike with 9 speed Campagnolo (and a 9 speed chain, of course) that has a NR/SR chainset that was originally used with 5/6 speed spacing and it works fine with the narrower 9 speed chain. Several bikes around here that originally had standard 6 speed (126 mm spacing) and now have 7 speed and use the 7/8 speed KMC chains and have no problem with the front sprockets.
Old 07-21-18, 07:37 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I've found that 8 or 9 speed SRAM or KMC chains work very nicely on ultra spaced freewheels. Just as a point of information, Regina and Atom also sold compact spaced 6 speed freewheels as well. However, the Suntour models seem to be significantly more prolific here in the US.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-21-18, 09:55 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I've found that 8 or 9 speed SRAM or KMC chains work very nicely on ultra spaced freewheels. Just as a point of information, Regina and Atom also sold compact spaced 6 speed freewheels as well. However, the Suntour models seem to be significantly more prolific here in the US.
I would take Bob's word as gospel, so to speak.

I've had good luck with SRAM 8 speed chains.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-21-18, 10:21 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
BITD you had to use a 'narrow' chain with the ultra freewheels. Either a Suntour ultra chain, or a sedisport chain. The latter was more common. IIRC they were cheaper and worked well. These days standard width 5/6 speed chains are long extinct, so really any modern 5/6/7/8 speed chain should be fine. I guess you could say that the modern SRAM 8 speed chains are the closest modern descendants of the old sedisports.

This difference between early narrow and standard chains is not often discussed, and it's worth pointing out for those that weren't there. These were both nominally 3/32" chains but the outer width was different. Sedisports were about 7.3mm wide at the rivets, 6.8 at the plates. I don't have an Oro or similar 'standard' chain to check, but I think those were more like 7.6 or something. If anyone has one to check, that would be cool.
Old 07-21-18, 02:20 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

I like the KMC 7-8 speed chain on my Raleigh. It works great with a 6 speed Megarange and Sugino AT triple. I have gotten hung in "no mans land" between big and middle chain rings a few times. I suspect this due mostly to operator error. When I bought the KMC I bought another one for my Legnano that has the original chain from new, 54 years ago. I've measured it over the years, and it's always in spec. I still haven't installed the KMC on it. The Legnano chain looks like something off a motorcycle compared to the KMC, but still works with a 6 speed freewheel, originally a 5 speed. Today, on the Raleigh, I got surprused by a red light, while on the big front ring, 3 or 4 down in back. I pushed the front gear lever all the way to the small ring by mistake. It made a good gear for a restart, without having to finesse the middle ring shift.
Old 07-21-18, 02:23 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have standardized on SRAM 8-speed chains for all of my bikes (standard 5, ultra-6, standard 6, 8-speed freehub) .
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-21-18, 02:44 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I like KMC 8.93 chains so much that I buy several when I find them at a good price. They work great on old 5 & 6 speed set ups.
Old 07-21-18, 03:07 PM
Olympianrider

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, all, for your help and advice! I knew this was the right place for a question like this.

Sounds like the consensus is clear -- the modern 7-speed chain-width is the right one to use in this application. Also, a chain in which the rivets are flush with the side-plate. (I can see how protruding rivets might be a problem when the gears are scrunched close-together.)

With this knowledge in hand, I went to eBay and within three minutes I found a chain with these characteristics: KMC X8.93 21 / 24-Speed 1/2" X 3/32" Road / MTB Bicycle Chain 116L fits 3x7 3x8.

Thanks to all who pointed out the KMC chain will suit!

The cost was $10.45. Problem solved? Heck if I know, but I'm sure I'm getting there. I wonder if there might be other features that offer performance improvements. But this certainly is the place to start.

I want to say how much I appreciate hearing real-world examples, in which people have confronted the same issues and solved them. I knew I couldn't be the only one with a question like this. That's one of the beauties of this forum.

Erik Smith
Olympia, WA

Last edited by Olympianrider; 07-21-18 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 09:40 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has recommended Shimano chain.
Having measured the external width of all of the major brands of chain, both at the pins and at the sideplate bulges, I saw that among the 9s chains, Shimano's was the very best in this regard, thus giving the most positive ("early") shifting performance. This applied to shifts across the freewheel, and especially in front between chainrings.

Suntour Ultra-spaced freewheels and similar Accu-7 Alpha freewheels had narrower spacing between their largest cogs, making 9s chain a good choice, and especially good when Suntour's Accushift levers were used.
In my opinion, the performance weaknesses of Suntour's 7s Accushift would have been hardly noticeable if the best 9s chains had been available at that time.
Unfortunately for Suntour and Campy, they were not at the forefront of chain development and so had to rely on the assortment of chains produced by others, which gave variable (often poor) results.
A 9s Shimano chain can for example "magically" eliminate many problems of subtle cog-spacing discrepancy when using early narrow-spaced indexing systems with modern freewheels, and can sharply reduce the time needed to complete a shift up to a larger chainring.
Old 07-22-18, 09:46 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
+1 to dddd's statements above.
Shimano 9-spd works flawlessly in an Ultra-6. In my experience 6-7-8-spd, depending on brand, rub the next larger cog and/or make a lot of noise; performance is less than ideal.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-28-23, 11:24 AM
83cannondale

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 83 Cannondale, 70s Raleigh International, 70s Bob Jackson, 70s Gitane tandem, 2018 Trek Domane SL7, Giant Yukon MTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, there was an suntour ultra 6 specific chain - For New Winner I think

I have an original 1983 Cannondale that came with the special chain - dunno what brand, model - Every other link is expanded in the side plates. I've been using the Sram 8xx series on that bike for many many miles and they seem fine. Using the Connex links as well. The sram might be a little narrow for the sugino apex chainrings and I'm seeing a little wear on the sides of the rings, but, seem to be fully functioning. I just cheeked in with this thread to see if other info has been added to that. I started using the sram based on comments here...

Originally Posted by Olympianrider
Here’s a question for the vintage-bike experts –

I am in the process of upgrading an old vintage bicycle, and am hoping some of you may be able to offer advice on chain selection.I am using a vintage frame with old style 120 mm spacing (and I don’t want to alter the frame to fit something larger). I’ve just ordered a vintage Sun Tour New Winner freewheel, with “ultra” spacing between cogs.

According to the info I've found online, this freewheel fits into the standard 120 mm space. But because it uses slightly narrower space between gears, you’re able to get six cogs on the gear cluster, rather than the standard five. This particular freewheel seems to have quite a following – I gather it was highly regarded in the late '70s and early '80s. But none of the webpages tell me the best chain to use.

Back when these were new, I assume there really wasn't much choice -- a chain was a chain. But in the ensuing years we've seen narrower and narrower chains hit the market as rear gear clusters add enormous numbers of gears. Since the spacing between gears on this particular freewheel is slightly narrower than standard, I’m thinking a slightly narrower chain might be a good idea. Some posters on this forum in the past have mentioned that they have gotten good results with chains designed for Shimano 7-speed systems.

But I gather that there may be a tradeoff. It sounds like a narrower chain increases the chance you might drop the chain between gears when shifting the front derailleur.

So let me just say that I am using a standard Campagnolo Nuovo Record triple crank in the front. Also, I'm using an all-friction setup (with a Nuovo Record derailleur on the front, a first-generation Campy Rally derailleur on the back, and Sun Tour bar-end shifters). Any recommendations on the chain type to use? And are some chains designed better than others?

Erik Smith
Olympia, WA
Old 09-28-23, 11:28 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I'm surprised that no one has recommended Shimano chain.
Having measured the external width of all of the major brands of chain, both at the pins and at the sideplate bulges, I saw that among the 9s chains, Shimano's was the very best in this regard, thus giving the most positive ("early") shifting performance. This applied to shifts across the freewheel, and especially in front between chainrings.

Suntour Ultra-spaced freewheels and similar Accu-7 Alpha freewheels had narrower spacing between their largest cogs, making 9s chain a good choice, and especially good when Suntour's Accushift levers were used.
In my opinion, the performance weaknesses of Suntour's 7s Accushift would have been hardly noticeable if the best 9s chains had been available at that time.
Unfortunately for Suntour and Campy, they were not at the forefront of chain development and so had to rely on the assortment of chains produced by others, which gave variable (often poor) results.
A 9s Shimano chain can for example "magically" eliminate many problems of subtle cog-spacing discrepancy when using early narrow-spaced indexing systems with modern freewheels, and can sharply reduce the time needed to complete a shift up to a larger chainring.
most 8 speed chains work well.
Shimano, the company that is recalling 750K crank sets world wide.
Old 09-28-23, 06:09 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
Make sure that you do NOT Try to re-rivet the KMC ! ! Only use the supplied master link.
Old 09-28-23, 08:42 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Back in the day I believe Suntour sourced DID chains for their drivetrains. Don’t know if they are even still in business.
Old 09-29-23, 10:25 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I have an Ultra-6 chain for use with my Ultra-6 freewheels.

The real issue must be, what can be found in the marketplace that will work well?

I'm also concerned about having a chain for my standard spacing 5 speed freewheels. I'm currently using a Regina Oro but they do not last forever.
Old 09-29-23, 10:32 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
I'm currently using a KMC X9 SL 9-speed chain with a 7 speed suntour winner pro freewheel. Works great. Though I think I'll try a 9 speed shimano chain after this one wears out, dddd knows more about suntour accushift than just about anyone here.
Old 09-30-23, 07:33 AM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I'm currently using a KMC X9 SL 9-speed chain with a 7 speed suntour winner pro freewheel. Works great. Though I think I'll try a 9 speed shimano chain after this one wears out, dddd knows more about suntour accushift than just about anyone here.
I'm using the same on 6 and 7 speed ultra spaced winner pros.
Old 09-30-23, 01:15 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 340 Posts
Using KMC X8-93 here on Sunrace 7 speed 13-28 freewheel and SunTour New Winner Ultra 6 13-28.
Both working fine, but set the H and L screw properly.
Old 11-04-23, 10:15 PM
Fried_Chicken
Training Wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I have an Ultra-6 chain for use with my Ultra-6 freewheels.

The real issue must be, what can be found in the marketplace that will work well?

I'm also concerned about having a chain for my standard spacing 5 speed freewheels. I'm currently using a Regina Oro but they do not last forever.
I am curious whether for your 5 speed freewheel you have tried the Izumi ES410C (or ES410CNP for silver color). They seem to be manufactured like the older style chains (with bushings, and 7.8mm pin width). I'm looking at chains for a 5 speed Regina freewheel and was wondering how this would work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.