Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Correlating body measurements to bike geometry - help a newbie

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 02:47 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts

Not really a newbie as I've been cycling a while but have never had a bike fitting and ride a used bike that I've only done some basic adjustments on in regards to fit. I do rides up to about 5 hours without any serious discomfort. Having said that, I don't really know if the bike geometry is good for me or not. One area in particular is knee over pedal position. I've got a 25mm offset seatpost with seat as far back as it will go and my kneecap is still forward of the pedal at 3:00.

At some point, I'm looking to get a new bike and probably spend a fair amount so naturally would like to have an understanding of what might fit. So how does one measure themselves and how do those measurements relate to geometry numbers? Is there a good resource for understanding this better? I see that places like Competitive Cyclist have measuring tools but it seems they are just going to tell you which bikes fit from the ones they sell.
Old 08-17-18, 12:47 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I have a friend who ran hurdles, and told me that running is leaning forward with legs going up and down. I saw a bike position video that explained the same thing relative to saddle and handle bar position. So I tried a bunch of bikes and came to appreciate the sloping top tube and long head tube for my desired riding position. This gave me the relative position I wanted (on and off the saddle). I ended buying a Specialized Roubaix 2015, the bike geometry gave me my desired position.

So with this said, bike geometry is relative to body measurements for fit. I tried several manufacturers, in two sizes per bike. I determined that larger frame felt good on saddle but too large off saddle. The opposite with the smaller frame size, but on the saddle, with a longer stem gave me better aero performance. I went with the smaller frame. Comparing all of the geometries, they all were within a cm or so (Stack, Reach, TT, and Seat Tube) Which is adjustable by stem or seat post for fit.

My body measurements and bike fit to maximize performance is always on my mind. So as you mentioned 5 hours on a bike required comfort. I can’t imagine 5 hour of sprinting. So comfort drove position, and position was addressed by bike geometry. That is to say, if I wanted pure performance, i.e., Time Trial, I’d have a different position hence a different geometry. Then given my body measurement I’d find a bike that fits. The 3:00 knee, for me is impossible for the type of bike I want and my long thighs and longer calves. I may be able to get it with 180 length cranks but I never tried. Also, peddle radius and cadence is important to performance but is also a complex matter I’ll set aside for this discussion.

Conclusion: Once I figured geometry (which I think is the bike type e.g., road, mountain, endurance, hybrid, touring, or cruiser etc.) fit became the goal. Once I was able to achieve fit, ride performance was compared. Lastly, unless you get a custom bike, off the shelf geometry is really a comparison once you have ridden the different brands and models for a given type. I found myself comparing different geometries for different bike types for position. Different geometries within a type for fit (given my body). Thanks for letting me share my experience. I hope it makes sense.
Old 08-21-18, 11:11 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
What you have going on is huge. Most cyclists write in with problems. I.E. back discomfort, hand issues etc... The fact that you like your position a really big. The first step that I would suggest is to draw snap a picture of your bike or download a bike picture. 2nd Take these three measurements and draw them onto the bike picture. A. bottom bracket center to the seat top. B. Saddle nose front to the handlebar center. C. handlebar center to the top of the front tire. It sounds like these measures are working for you you need to keep record of them. In other words don't buy a new bike with the handlebars two inches lower to the front wheel, compared to your current bike, now that you will know what measurement is.
Old 08-25-18, 03:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
old bike manual by C.O.N.I. Italian Olympic commttee from when Rome hosted the olympics
gives a good deal of info on the racing disciplines

there is a PDF of it online , print copies being collector items...