Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lubing Mavic Freehub Body With 3 In 1 Oil

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 03:21 PM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Is it okay to use 3 in 1 oil to lube the the inside of the Mavic FTS-L freehub body? The brochure calls for Mavic Mineral Oil, but I have also heard that Pedro's Road Rage is alright.

My main thing is I have a can of 3 in 1 on hand, and it sure would be nice not to go spend money on the Pedro's, when I can use what I have on hand.

Thanks for all responses.

Regards,

Last edited by Jed19; 01-30-08 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-30-08, 03:26 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asl long as the oil weight is pretty close, you should be okay.
Old 01-30-08, 03:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The only penalty for using the "right" oil is you have to make a special effort to get the right lube.

What's the penalty for using the wrong lube? I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard ( a couple of decades ago) that it will gum up the innerds of a Sturmy Archer hub. If it was my bike I wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-30-08, 03:31 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^ That's an issue if you're weighing (!) 10wt versus 90wt or something drastic like that.

However, "Mavic Mineral Sprits Oil" and 3-in-1 are pretty darn close, I would bet.
Old 01-30-08, 07:53 PM
silent1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that there are few types of 3 in 1 oil. One of these types is either A)is made with vegetable oil B)reacting with the oil already in a Sturmey hub, it made a huge caked on pile of **** mess. Just use some lightweight non-detergent oil if you can find some, i.e electric motor (Extendo), straight 30 W Penzoil, or motor oil if you can't find the non-detergent. I would just go to the bike store and buy something they recommend.
Old 01-30-08, 08:13 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LUCAS
Is it okay to use 3 in 1 oil to lube the the inside of the Mavic FTS-L freehub body? The brochure calls for Mavic Mineral Spirits Oil, but I have also heard that Pedro's Road Rage is alright.

My main thing is I have a can of 3 in 1 on hand, and it sure would be nice not to go spend money on the Pedro's, when I can use what I have on hand.

Regards,
There are three oils that are approved by Mavic for use in their hubs:

1. Mavic Mineral
2. Pedro's Road Rage
3. Phil's Tenacious

3-in-1 is really not close to the correct viscosity. It's too thin.

Do NOT use any kind of teflon based lube as they have the effect of polishing the freehub bushing, and you do not want to do that. Road Rage is available for less than $5/bottle.
Old 01-30-08, 08:18 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I called Mavic this afternoon, and was told that 3 in 1 Oil is fine as lube. They did say not to use any lube with Teflon.

Old 01-30-08, 09:22 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I think that 3 in 1's formulation is different than it used to be, although it is hard to tell from their website.
Old 01-30-08, 09:27 PM
awiner
1 Serving Per Container

Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Phil's Tenacious in Mavic FTS-L hubs before and it was way too thick. The prawls stuck.

I ended up using 10wt shock oil and it was fine.
Old 01-30-08, 10:59 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by awiner
I've used Phil's Tenacious in Mavic FTS-L hubs before and it was way too thick. The prawls stuck.

Wow! Now I don't know what to think or use. Cascade168 just told me that Phil's Tenacious Oil is one of the recommended oils that Mavic considers okay. The other being Mavic Mineral Oil and Pedro's Road Rage. I thought Phil's would be it, as I have some on hand, but I guess I'm going to have to buy some Pedro's Road Rage, as I don't want to wait for my LBS to order the Mavic Mineral Oil (sigh).

Regards,
Old 01-31-08, 09:59 AM
dvs cycles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Tenacious would be like putting honey in the hub.
Would think it would add too much drag if not make the pawls stick. I use Road Rage as per the LBS recommendation and it is fine. Why not get the right stuff to start with. Lot easier to do it right the first time than to redo it.
Old 01-31-08, 12:53 PM
cascade168
Klaatu barada nikto

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Phil's works fine, as proven out by many, many users. You are probably using too much. All you need is a drop (=1 drop) on each of the pawl hinges and two or three drops down in the freehub body teeth.

I ride year round in New Hampshire in some VERY cold weather and Phil's has never been too thick for me.
Old 01-31-08, 01:41 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yup. Cascade168 said to call Bill, who is a service personnel at Mavic USA, and Bill confirmed that Phil's Tenacious Oil is good for lubing the FTS-L hubs. He did give the thumbs down on 3 in 1 oil.

Regards,

Originally Posted by cascade168
Phil's works fine, as proven out by many, many users. You are probably using too much. All you need is a drop (=1 drop) on each of the pawl hinges and two or three drops down in the freehub body teeth.

I ride year round in New Hampshire in some VERY cold weather and Phil's has never been too thick for me.
Old 01-31-08, 09:14 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The common 3 in 1 red can is oil and some additives that cause it to gum up over time. 3 in 1 in the blue can is 20 wt motor oil. Drugstores sell pure refined mineral oil for things such as constipation. Baby oil is nothing more than mineral oil with some perfumes (I don't think the bike will care). You see, there are lots of alternatives that will work.
Old 01-04-13, 12:05 PM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
best mavic cassette oil

I have the same result now that its real cold in CT, my mavic cassette body is very heavy turning with the phil tenatious oil.I wont do that again, unless Im spending a summer in TX, and then this liquid grease should be hot stuff. Im hoping that my FINISH LINE wet lube oil will be great and longer wearing for my mavic pawl system?
Dont use 3 in 1 oil, its really cheap oil that resists wear about as proportionatly as its price, i only use it to treat threads to avoid seizure and thats it.
Old 01-04-13, 12:35 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
If you'd only waited 4 more weeks, this thread could have been dead for a FULL 5 YEARS before you ressurected it!
Old 01-04-13, 12:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Silly me. I used Phil's Tenacious in my Mavic hub because Sheldon liked it. And like just about every other thing Sheldon said about bike mechanics, he was right.
Old 01-04-13, 01:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I've used Phil oil in makic hubs with some good and bad results. The good part is the ratchet area. The bad is the nylon bushing between the shell and freehub body. Mavic has told me that only mineral oil wwill do and that's been my experience. Other lubes in this bushing can have drag, noise and cause increaded wear. I've replaced parts from this wear before. At first I was sceptical but minerial oil worked best for the ones I've serviced. Andy.
Old 01-04-13, 03:20 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am the original poster of this thread. I have two Mavic wheelsets with FTS-L freehubs. I have used Phil's Tenacious Oil without issues in the past (one little drop per pawl, three drops for the insides). Even better, is the fact that I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil (5W-20) as lube for my Mavic FTS-L freehubs for a really long time now without issues. It was recommended to me by an old wrench I know. I already use the oil in my truck, so all I have to do is make sure I save a little for my Mavic freehubs.
Old 01-05-13, 09:16 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've used whatever oil that I have around for my car, which is usually a 5W/30 synthetic. Seems to work fine.
Old 01-06-13, 04:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Freehub and freewheel ratchets have very low lubrication needs because they never have moving parts under load. Under power, the ratchet is locked and there's no internal movement. When coasting, the only load is that of the light pawl springs. So the key for ratchet lube is that it should be thick or sticky enough not to spin out, and thin enough not to resist the pawl springs. That's an awfully wide range, and just about any oil will do the job.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-17-13, 01:14 PM
bikeman68

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
to Bill

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
If you'd only waited 4 more weeks, this thread could have been dead for a FULL 5 YEARS before you ressurected it!
Bill Grow up, its always the replies to dormant posts that get the inevitable "This post is so Old!" reply and its stupid since the mentioned equipment (Mavic freehub) is still in use, and this includes the older stock going back to the late 90s when this bushing type freehub first hit the market on up to current Mavic wheels. Im glad I asked, because I would have never guessed Tril flow is a bad idea for mavic
BTW, can that other poster explain why tri flow will wreck the cass body bushing?
Old 01-17-13, 01:52 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman68
BTW, can that other poster explain why tri flow will wreck the cass body bushing?
I'd imagine it's because the solvent in the tri-flow attacks the plastic of the bushing, but I don't know for sure.
Old 01-19-13, 02:21 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by Airburst
I'd imagine it's because the solvent in the tri-flow attacks the plastic of the bushing, but I don't know for sure.
There was also the matter of the Teflon in TriFlow supposedly "polishing" the bushing surface(?).

I've always used a few drops of Phil Oil with a few drops of motor oil, which seemed to average out the viscosity of both as I saw fit for this application.
It just so happens that I have those two squeeze bottles handy, plus a 3rd with a motor-oil and mineral spirits mix and a 4th with a spirits-diluted chain lube.

For freewheels I've long used the solvent-diluted motor oil with a few drops of Phil oil, about 15 drops total, some of which evaporates.

My friction shifters seem to work better with motor oil in the friction surfaces than with Phil oil.
Old 02-13-13, 11:23 AM
Maviczack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry guys, I stumbled across this and I would be remiss if I didn't chip in with the "official" word from Mavic.

Mavic recommends the use of its own 5 weight mineral oil. However any 5 weight mineral oil will work. As stated above, you need something thin enough so as to not clog and bog the tiny pawl springs, but thick enough so it doesn't run out of the hub and disappear.

We would not recommend anything other than mineral oil. Other oils can eventually degrade or cause damage to the freehub bushing, or worse, cause it to abrade the hub shell. Using anything other than the recommended could cause a warranty claim to be voided.

All that said, there are plenty of people who seem to use other lubricants without problem. I would say, do so at your own discretion but please be aware of the "official" stance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.