Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Old 03-07-12, 09:43 PM
Sommando

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HMF, your video was a great learning tool for me (thanks shovel!) but the last part (your yelling as the group catches you) made me feel terrible. I'm hoping there's a second video soon where you make it all the way in! It'd be like a Hollywood movie, where the star fails horribly at first, but then, with some great theme music, and against all odds, succeeds at last.
Old 03-08-12, 07:48 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
How to navigate through a field. All the instructors in this clip are BFers.

Old 03-12-12, 11:22 AM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
last 10 minutes of my crit this past weekend in Santa Barbara

last couple minutes are me on the front leading out my teammate who took 2nd

Old 03-12-12, 12:54 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike content at :56. This accent should give you folks up North seizures. Cat IV race at Albany. Two of the "football players" on my team. My teammate gets the field sprint and my shoulder gets a cameo.

Old 03-12-12, 03:30 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
That looked like a minuscule field. A little rain kept everyone away?
Old 03-12-12, 03:34 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Originally Posted by Sommando
HMF, your video was a great learning tool for me (thanks shovel!) but the last part (your yelling as the group catches you) made me feel terrible. I'm hoping there's a second video soon where you make it all the way in! It'd be like a Hollywood movie, where the star fails horribly at first, but then, with some great theme music, and against all odds, succeeds at last.
Kind of like Rocky II?

(insert "barfing" emoticon)
Old 03-12-12, 04:00 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
That looked like a minuscule field. A little rain kept everyone away?
22 finished. Not sure how many lined up at the start. Toronado watches and warnings plus solid rain kept it small. The next day I think there were around 60 there for the road race.
Old 03-12-12, 04:12 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by jwible
22 finished. Not sure how many lined up at the start. Toronado watches and warnings plus solid rain kept it small. The next day I think there were around 60 there for the road race.
Looked like a fun race.

I prefer races in the rain. I don't mind getting wet and I'll even start long solo training rides in the rain, so I'm not freaked by the wet.
Old 03-12-12, 06:12 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You live in The Duh. Try rain, sleet, freezing rain, hail and snow for 65 miles.
Old 03-12-12, 06:44 PM
zitter

Bikes: Orbea Orca m10, Spec Venge Elite, Felt TK2, Orbea Ordu M30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and here's the first 33 minutes of the race

you can probably tell from both the videos that I was playing the domestique roll, chasing breaks, covering attacks, leading out, moving teammates up, etc. (also threw in some attacks to work the field a bit)
Old 03-12-12, 07:12 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by shovelhd
You live in The Duh. Try rain, sleet, freezing rain, hail and snow for 65 miles.
I used to live in Champaign-Urbana, IL, and bike commuted all winter way back in the 1970's. Even when it was -20 F. My insulated hiking boots did not fit into my toeclips, BTW. That was COLD!

And believe it or not we did have a team ride in our part of The Duh where it snowed on us a couple of years ago. That was "cool", or should I say "cold". I think that only three of us were stupid enough to show up for that ride.
Old 03-15-12, 12:11 PM
agoodale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few videos from our Tour de Murrieta Crit last Saturday. It's a fairly technical 6 turn course with a long sprint. The contrast between the 2 videos made me chuckle

Cat 2 - Justin Williams winning the field sprint. Break of 3 up the road.

Cat 5
Old 03-20-12, 09:26 AM
colobrio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
University of Denver Crit, SM4-5

First 5, middle 2, and last 5 laps. In Denver's City Park, March 18, 2012.

https://vimeo.com/38820784
Old 03-20-12, 10:14 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colobrio
First 5, middle 2, and last 5 laps. In Denver's City Park, March 18, 2012.
Interesting contrast between your video, and the videos CDR posts, and that contrast is very instructional. You rarely see the empty space in front of CDRs front wheel that you see often in front of yours. In other words, you can definitely hide better, even when moving up. And IMO, you burned a lot of energy when you were feeling strong early (easy to get sucked into that!), and it cost you later. In the final laps, you had chances to really move up when the pack slowed, but you only used those to get towards the middle of the pack, then you drifted back as the pack re-accelerated (that's bad), ending up missing the split. Had you moved way up when things slowed, chances are you would have made the split, and could have used your strength (looks like you were one of the stronger riders) in the sprint.

As someone still low on the learning curve, I offer this critique in large part to test my understanding.
Old 03-20-12, 10:14 AM
Nate552

Bikes: Orbea Orca Trek 5500 Trek Equinox

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First race with a cam this past weekend. I wanted a small camera (the aeroweenie in me won't let me strap a Go Pro on my bike) so I went with a Tachyon OpsHD. It's designed to mount on guns, so it's quite small. You can see it on my stem in this pic.

Unfortunately, my powertap cpu was in the scene, I'll have to correct that. But for those curious about quality, here's a short clip of me contesting a hot spot time bonus on a hill.
Don't forget to switch to HD settings in youtube.

.be&hd=1
Old 03-20-12, 10:39 AM
colobrio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
You rarely see the empty space in front of CDRs front wheel that you see often in front of yours.
This is largely spot on, and the explanation largely is nerves. I was timid at the top of the course where the jockeying took place for position heading into the big round about. Then I scrubbed to much speed approaching the big roundabout, letting a gap open. I took the roundabout well, but that just closed the gap instead setting me up to spring forward coming out of it. As a result, through the middle of the race I had to close a lot of little gaps, which left me cooked by the last few laps. I got the barcam largely for the education, and its paying dividends - I knew all this during the race, but didn't appreciate how bad it was until I watched it. So much of crit riding is positioning and confidence, and with 14 years between crits, it's going to take me a little while to get that back. Luckily I have SDC's videos to help guide my way!
Old 03-20-12, 11:01 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's that "Crit Mojo" thing. Our Tuesday night Underground Crit is helping me a lot with all those factors: close quarters, cornering lines, knowing when you can keep pedaling, hiding, moving up, avoiding gaps. Being in a field that includes the P-1-2 guys is a real help, even though I'm usually off somewhere hacking my lungs up afterwards. But, as a result, the difference in my cornering this season is profound. I used to have a big tendency to brake before a corner - now I'm usually just diving in, pushing, and looking for room to move up. Closing gaps after corners is great way to use yourself up.
Old 03-25-12, 08:47 AM
Forza
Con forza e velocità

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Independence Valley Road Race, Rochester, WA

Little first person action from Michigan Hill climb today. I clearly needed to be a little further up front hitting the base of this thing. Spent way to much from the power bank passing and getting around bodies. Would have / should have been used up front. My first clue should have been the sound of crashing carbon in the neutral start...not kidding.

Check out the great save by the guy who went into the ditch on the beginning of the descent. Camera's battery lost contact on the descent and this is all I got.

Old 03-25-12, 09:02 AM
notwist

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great vid. is it ever sunny in WA? from viewing a couple of your vids, it seems WA is a dreary place!
Old 03-25-12, 09:17 AM
crapweasel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It got sunny on lap 2 .

Looks like you were there with the front group Forza; too bad you couldn't stick with it. I was surprised to see you at the bottom of the descent, honestly. I spent *way* too much time on this one guy's wheel on the climb, figuring I was far enough up front to maintain contact with the mountain goats on the descent. I was wrong.
Old 03-25-12, 09:22 AM
Forza
Con forza e velocità

Bikes: Spesh S-Works - Tarmac SL4, Spesh S-Works Venge, BMC Team Machine SLR01, Spesh Allez - FrankenForza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
great vid. is it ever sunny in WA? from viewing a couple of your vids, it seems WA is a dreary place!
Of course. We frequently have a "marine layer" of cloud/fog in the AM during the Spring/Summer at the 250-1500ft level. It was actually a very beautiful day yesterday...video proof before we started ascending...

Originally Posted by crapweasel
It got sunny on lap 2 .

Looks like you were there with the front group Forza; too bad you couldn't stick with it. I was surprised to see you at the bottom of the descent, honestly. I spent *way* too much time on this one guy's wheel on the climb, figuring I was far enough up front to maintain contact with the mountain goats on the descent. I was wrong.
I should have been further up to start...I spent too much time and power working my way up past traffic. I aggravated my IT band and was hurting a little yesterday and was feeling the crud coming on...I had been taking Zicam since the night before, hoping to rid it. Good job yesterday.
Old 03-25-12, 11:42 AM
jabbahop
Renewed cyclist in VT

Bikes: serotta, cervelo TT, felt cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at least you were moving forward. When it is my video, I am the one going backward through the pack!
Old 03-28-12, 11:45 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notwist
In March it only makes a few cameo appearances, but gets better in late spring & summer, at least in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-28-12, 09:52 PM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
.be
Old 04-04-12, 10:00 AM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclo-vets Crit - Mens Cat 4 Video + Pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/1163692...sCritMensCat4#

Lots more to come.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.