Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Have you ever camped illegally while on tour?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Have you ever camped illegally while on tour?

Old 08-05-11, 02:21 AM
kidag

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cycled lubeck - Amsterdam a few weeks ago. stealth camped between the road and an industrial estate in Hamburg, out in the woods outside Bremen, and even in Netherlands just outside enschede. no detection anywhere, and I left in broad daylight. just pick a spot where few can see you and where few people would go, bring a nature colored tent, lay down your bike and relax. would prefer seemingly public land to private to avoid angry farmers. but as long as you aren't stupid ( ie camp in a corn field) the worst scenario would probably be someone tells you calmly to leave.
Old 08-05-11, 03:01 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bike tour camping is about making do with the resources avaiable to you when you need to stop for the day. Sometimes the day's plan and the stars align perfectly at the end of the day but there are many times when they do not. Then some innovative thinking and asking leads to a secluded location suitable for a night's sleep. It may be the lawn of a friendly household; a police or fire station yard or patio; a church pew or cemetary; a barn or unused chicken coop or merely lastly vacant unposted land in a national, state or city forest, park or open space if the previously mentioned inhabited places deny permission to use them. Leaving the space as you found it or even better condition is vital. I have used all of the above resources and many others as required by the circumstances with memorable stories about each one. [Remind me to tell you about the vegetarian and the hunter offering him bear burgers and elk steaks for breakfast some time.]

Last edited by arctos; 08-05-11 at 03:03 PM. Reason: puncuation
Old 08-07-11, 04:35 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by arctos
Bike tour camping is about making do with the resources avaiable to you when you need to stop for the day. Sometimes the day's plan and the stars align perfectly at the end of the day but there are many times when they do not. Then some innovative thinking and asking leads to a secluded location suitable for a night's sleep. It may be the lawn of a friendly household; a police or fire station yard or patio; a church pew or cemetary; a barn or unused chicken coop or merely lastly vacant unposted land in a national, state or city forest, park or open space if the previously mentioned inhabited places deny permission to use them. Leaving the space as you found it or even better condition is vital. I have used all of the above resources and many others as required by the circumstances with memorable stories about each one. [Remind me to tell you about the vegetarian and the hunter offering him bear burgers and elk steaks for breakfast some time.]
A cemetery roost I'd never thought of. I think I may in the future. At least it will give me the motivation to rise up early to get a head start.
Old 08-09-11, 12:22 AM
TealLA

Bikes: '95 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, Cannondale CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim
I worked a summer at yellowstone, my best advice about bears is no food or anything similar in the tent or within 100 yards of you. Cook separate from your campsite, leave food and toiletries (hung well off the ground) at your cook site. Heck a lot of folks leave the shirt they cooked in with the food. Also stop at rangers stations and ask about bear activity. IF you camp within the park in legal sites they have bear boxes to keep food etc safe.
Thanks for the info and your time Mr. Jim.
Much appreciated.
Old 08-09-11, 05:35 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
I have camped illegally in Norway. You are supposed to be some way off the road and away from houses. That is fine in the back-country but parts of the South have lots of tourist development and there simply isn't anywhere remote, the ground is all bedrock and there are trees everywhere.
I camped, midweek , next to a weekend holiday home by the side of a footpath. Camp late, depart early, leave no trace.
Similar experience for me. Ended up surrounded by cows in the morning because I thought I had crossed through all the pastures. Doubt anyone would have cared had they seen me.

I camped in a railyard the next night (miscalculated the sunset).

Otherwise, I generally stick to campgrounds, mostly just to get a good shower in.
Old 08-10-11, 09:12 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
X2. When I started touring/camping it was just called...camping. Now some refer to it as 'stealth' camping. If I see someone, I'll always ask. Never been turned down. Big smiles go a long way. If I don't see anyone, I'm pretty secluded.
I've been known to leave money in an envelope in a church door with a 'thank you for your hospitality'. The possibilities are endless. The scenery is what you make it. This is what makes bicycle touring so worth it. Adventures are always just around the corner. As said earlier...Leave No Trace.

Oh, yeah, don't forget to look up www.warmshowers.org. You might find a host in an area you will be travelling through.

Jerry H

Last edited by jharte; 08-10-11 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 09:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
They allow bums to camp illegally all the time, do you not think they will allow decent bicyclists to camp illegally? The bums will trash the site, cyclists won't.
Old 08-11-11, 05:28 AM
MNBikeguy

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good points. Except I might not try a chicken coop. :-)
I have camped many times in a technically "illegal" spot. I try to plan the day to arrive early enough to find somebody to ask. In many years there have been only a few times I've been told no, you can't stay here.
Old 08-14-11, 12:04 PM
etroutski
Troutonabike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclomania
I never have. My brother car camped several times on the Carrizo Plain in California away from the State run camp sites. He found a place where it is hidden from the roadway. I imagine if it were just one night and you packed up near dawn. And chose a place well hidden, probably wouldn't be a problem right? Has anyone ever done this? No fires of course!
Well yes, of course! Many times over the last 35 years. It becomes an art! It's part of the thrill of the trip. My rules are to be respectful, stealthy, and leave no trace!
Old 08-14-11, 01:18 PM
mbryant52

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Waltworks singlespeed 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes.

Simply a matter of getting far enough away from people and dogs. Bit brash to build a fire, but I had a very secluded spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0459.jpg (91.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-14-11, 01:38 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My preference is small town city parks for a table and services, occasionally a shower. Wild(free)camp when city park or cheap campground not availiable. Easy to do just about anywhere in the US with a bit of site scoping out before sunset. Never been disturbed.
Old 08-15-11, 07:07 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
let me suggest a spot few may have considered -

the roof of a building. perhaps more convenient before the era of security cameras, but i've hauled up on the roof of a truckstop before, you know the ones, the huge, midwestern and west coast truck stops you sometimes encounter when riding major routes. I've wound up riding after dark to the lights of a truckstop to get food and warmth, nothing else good for miles around but interstate and cornfields, its so easy to find the ladder to the roof.

give it some thought, its more convenient than you'd think. also, the backs of many community halls, rural fire stations and the like often serve as a suitable hootch.
Old 08-17-11, 12:53 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Camped in a National Forest campground that was closed. Nobody seemed to care. It was off the beaten path and quite pleasant.
Old 08-19-11, 04:57 PM
Tansy

Bikes: Novara Safari(2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two nights ago I did. I was in western Missouri, hot, tired, and ready to be off the bike. A prairie conservation area presented itself. I know that you can camp around the parking lot in some of the Missouri conservation areas, and this one had no visible 'no camping' signs. Once I'd sat down, changed clothes, and was about to eat my cold canned corn(fire in a prairie didn't seem prudent...), I found the 'no camping allowed' notice I'd missed, but by then I didn't care.

I was in plain view of the road, but no one else cared much either. Only problem was that it was thick with fog by 10pm, everything was wet, and a small hatchling snake crawled under my sleeping bag. Hrmph.

Everywhere else I've stealth camped or free camped, I've had permission, a 'go ahead' from the locals, or no reason to be sure camping wasn't allowed.
Old 08-19-11, 07:41 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I have to fess to not having did any touring as of yet. I've got a tour mapped out and just waiting to see if it is going to happen this year or sometime next year. This summer just seems like it never wants to even start to change to fall. I think I'm being a bit of a ***** this year.

One idea for anyone looking for possible ideas in mountainous territory would be to look at downhill ski areas. Both the two options for routes that I have been looking at taking has me eyeballing downhill ski areas. They are 'open to the public' and during the summer months some but not all of them are pretty much shut down for business. You can get much more abandoned than that.
Old 08-26-11, 09:28 AM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyway, I'm stealth camping/illegal camping in some woods somewhere in PA tonight...I'm hoping the hurricane doesn't arrive until Saturday night once I'm safely biked back to Philly. It's supposed to rain all Saturday but as long as it's not strong winds, I should be OK. I hope.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-07-11 at 10:54 PM. Reason: removed politics
Old 08-26-11, 09:25 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
yes, I've stealth camped quite a bit in the past. The late Ken Kifer has an excellent on how to stealth camp.

https://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/touring/camping.htm

Anyway, I'm stealth camping/illegal camping in some woods somewhere in PA tonight...I'm hoping the hurricane doesn't arrive until Saturday night once I'm safely biked back to Philly. It's supposed to rain all Saturday but as long as it's not strong winds, I should be OK. I hope.
Yea, be safe. But if it gets too nasty, suck up the pride and get into a safe area. Best wishes.
Old 08-26-11, 11:29 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
three rights make a left dontchyaknow?

anyway, watch out for the hidden dangers in the inviting lawns of commercial buildings .

I wound up late in a big city due to wierd circumstance, and decided to simply lay out on a groundcloth 0n a dimly lit lawn in a commercial warehouse district, thinking I was in a good spot to get some zzzs and wake up early, vacate.

I was jolted awake, getting drenched and hit full in the face with what seemed like the largest rainstorm EVER. I jumped up and hopped in my sleeping bag for the eave of the building only to discover i was hopping in my sleeping bag to escape a in ground sprinkler system that had triggered.

I can still hear the peals of laughter from the crowd of truck packers at the warehouse that were watching all this.

Last edited by Bekologist; 08-26-11 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-06-11, 05:19 PM
kralizec

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
while going north on 1 i stopped in what i thought would be an ok place, a national park. well ano nuevo is not one where you can camp. Luckily the park ranger was nice and didn't make me take down my tent after it was already dark.
Old 12-07-11, 08:41 AM
Jamoni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple times.
Once was on a 4 day long weekender in autumn. I had planned to ride to the site (owned by some friends), about 100 miles, camp two days, and return. The weather turned, and I was blasted by freezing headwinds and rain the whole way. Only made about 60 miles, and had to quit. This was on a 4 lane country highway. I waited till there were no cars, then pushed the bike into the woods and up on top of a ridge. Setup camp, got dry, cooked some food, got some sleep. Next day continued on with my trip.
Another time was a similar trip, same area, actually. I got to the commercial campground I'd been headed for, only to find they didn't allow tent camping anymore. It was already dark, so I just rode back the way I came to an abandoned barn, and slept there.
Have also done some motorcycle tours where we pulled off onto a utility cut, rode in for a mile or two, and camped in the treeline.
Old 12-07-11, 12:22 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by kralizec
while going north on 1 i stopped in what i thought would be an ok place, a national park. well ano nuevo is not one where you can camp. Luckily the park ranger was nice and didn't make me take down my tent after it was already dark.
I was camping once in the early 80's and a guy rode in on his bicycle and pitched his tent near the bathroom/showers not far from my site just after dark. The park ranger came up to him and gave him a small hassle but relented and allowed him to stay there but the rider had to pay the $8 (?) fee which the rider didn't have so I paid it. The rider had come from Alaska (he showed his ID to the ranger) and was in Cachuma Lake in California when I saw him and was on his way to San Diego. His bike looked like it had been on the road for quite a while, and he looked like a decent educated person 20ish, not some bum type. He was running low on funds for food and thus not enough to pay for the park plus eat till he got to San Diego, so I gave him another $10 for food. We talked for quite a while, in fact it was him that gave birth to the idea for me to tour the USA on my bike when I retire.
Old 12-07-11, 01:23 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jamoni
A couple times.
Once was on a 4 day long weekender in autumn. I had planned to ride to the site (owned by some friends), about 100 miles, camp two days, and return. The weather turned, and I was blasted by freezing headwinds and rain the whole way. Only made about 60 miles, and had to quit. This was on a 4 lane country highway. I waited till there were no cars, then pushed the bike into the woods and up on top of a ridge. Setup camp, got dry, cooked some food, got some sleep. Next day continued on with my trip.
Doesn't sound illegal to me. Were there "No Trespassing" signs or other markings?
Old 12-07-11, 01:30 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I camped once at campground that wasn't really opened and twice I arrived at a campground after the paying booth closed (not on purpose) and left before it opened the next morning. Once I got up so early I just didn't want to wait and once I was looking at the fee chart (40$ for site and park fee) when a maintenance employee told me "they open at 8:30am... wink wink".
Old 12-07-11, 02:51 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I only consider camping in an organized campground without paying or camping on private land illegal. Almost any Walmart, and many others including many Denny's, Starbuck's, etc. will not object to a driver getting off the road rather than becoming a road hazard due to sleepiness. I don't camp that much any more, but when I did a lot of it, I never even thought of paying for the "right" to use public lands whether Federal, State, or County unless it was posted.
Old 12-07-11, 06:26 PM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
camping on private land illegal
Camping on private land is not illegal except in Wisconsin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.