Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

90's Hybrids,Pics please.

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 04:58 AM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am picking up a Giant Innova in a couple of days in pretty rough condition, is it worth a rebuild/repaint?
I would like some thing like a Marin Stinson or Trek Multitrack something CroMo 700c, Canti mount so the Innova should fit the bill, for the time being.
Anyway I would love to see photos of early 90's 700c Canti stuff, Giant, Trek, Marin, Nishiki, Univega, Diamond Back, Gary Fisher.

If you got 'em show 'em with pride!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0223.jpg (99.8 KB, 1195 views)

Last edited by Bicycle Addict; 04-29-14 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-14-13, 08:55 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts
Best I can do, it's not much anymore but I really do like the old steel hybrids.

Old 07-14-13, 10:45 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Two 1995 Trek Multitracks:

Attached Images
000 (2).jpg (66.8 KB, 1277 views)
Old 07-14-13, 11:47 AM
Ed.M

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My 18 speed 1995 Nishiki Century has served me well over the last 18 years. Now that I'm retired I'm looking to upgrade to something a little more 'hill friendly'. Considering either the Trek FX series or Specialized Sirrus models.
Attached Images
P1010549.jpg (99.0 KB, 1175 views)
Old 07-14-13, 12:31 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Bicycle Addict
I am picking up a Giant Innova in a couple of days in pretty rough condition, is it worth a rebuild/repaint?
I would like some thing like a Marin Stinson or Trek Multitrack something CroMo 700c, Canti mount so the Innova should fit the bill, for the time being.
Anyway I would love to see photos of early 90's 700c Canti stuff, Giant, Trek, Marin, Nishiki, Univega, Diamond Back, Gary Fisher.

If you got ém show ém with pride!!!
Other than the saddle, that doesn't look too bad. Give it a full tuneup, new brake pads, new chain maybe, perhaps replace the tires and ride it. I wouldn't repaint it.
Old 07-14-13, 08:56 PM
Bicycle Addict

Bikes: Marin Bolinas ridge, Carlton Corsa 5, Falcon Olympic 12, 98 Shesh Rockhopper,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Best I can do, it's not much anymore but I really do like the old steel hybrids.

That looks to be in better nick than mine!! What are the dérailleurs? Is it 1 inch or 1 1/8th stem? Surely it is on your to do list?? Even if it only ends up a spare bike? We have to keep these steel frames alive
Old 07-14-13, 08:57 PM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
Two 1995 Trek Multitracks:

Surely you don't need 2?? How about freighting one to me?? LOL These bikes are lovely Thanks for sharing. Love that green.
Old 07-14-13, 09:00 PM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ed.M that Nishiki is beautiful, Nishiki have always made a lovely bike. There was a thread comparing the Trek to its Giant equivalent, may make for some interesting reading.
Thanks for sharing

MRT2 Thanks for the reply, my plan is to get it roadworthy and ride the wheels off it for the next 3 months(winter here in NZ) and then reassess what direction to take with it.
I can not wait, I am picking it up tomorrow, tomorrow could not get here fast enough though

Last edited by Bicycle Addict; 12-09-14 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 12:51 PM
concordino

Bikes: Miyata, Koga Miyata, Giant Cadex, GT, Trek, Bianchi, Legnano, Alpinestars, Cannondale, Kastle, Schwinn Paramount, Sakae, Marin

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
1990's Kastle Trekking

This is one of my 90's Hybrids, It is 1990-91 Kastle Trekking Pro.

The Frame is Chromoly Columbus.

I'll post pics of my Giant Cadex 890I Limited Edition shortly, Although technically it carries only 26" wheels.

The 890I belonged to the SFT series (Sport-Fitness-Training) and could be considered one of the early generation Hybrids of the 90's.

Attached Images
My Kastle Trekking.jpg (95.2 KB, 1141 views)

Last edited by concordino; 07-16-13 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 12:57 PM
concordino

Bikes: Miyata, Koga Miyata, Giant Cadex, GT, Trek, Bianchi, Legnano, Alpinestars, Cannondale, Kastle, Schwinn Paramount, Sakae, Marin

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
1990 Giant Cadex 890I Limited Edition

This is it, It sports 26" wheels and the widest tires it takes are 1.6.

Current setups has it with 1.25s.

Attached Images
My 890I.jpg (51.8 KB, 1133 views)

Last edited by concordino; 07-16-13 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-16-13, 01:05 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Concordino Welcome to the Forums . . .Kinda a Newbie here too, I love both your bikes, mainly your Cadex it is awesome where the whole hybrid thing has gone MTB's look great with slicks rigid fork especially, tailor-made bikes, utilitarian transport.
These bikes were first off people like Gary Fisher trying to get to what we now know as a 29er, although for me personally the first time I heard the term/phrase hybrid was in about '83 when MTB's were first really released to the public (here in NZ)people saw, tried these "new" bikes and liked the ride position. Next thing you know a whole heap of people starting converting their 10 speeds to flat bar sometimes with proper MTB bars and B/levers Shifters, others opting for a length of steel 22.2 diameter and bending 10 speed B/levers flat so they would work on flat bars! Crazy times.
I have the bikes home from a 450 KM round trip. I got 3 bikes free and paid $25 for an NZ made e-stay MTB (Avanti).
1) Giant Innova with stuck post (It will not beat me)
2) Specailized Hard Rock, small frame that will need all new(old) groupset
3) Mystery Red MTB rough welds?? Don't know anymore
All Free, this is the first time I have got free bikes, and it feels pretty good.
Photos tomorrow
Thank you guys for the replies
Old 07-16-13, 06:45 AM
PJCB

Bikes: 198? Sport Racing Frame of unknown origins, 1992 Marin Bear Valley, 1970 Raleigh Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early 1990s Univega Via Activa. It's my girlfriends main ride until I get her Raleigh Sports up and running. Love the versatility of this bike...
Attached Images
IMG_20130702_171834_724.jpg (98.0 KB, 1127 views)
Old 07-16-13, 10:39 AM
jbchybridrider 

That looks to be in better nick than mine!! What are the dérailleurs? Is it 1 inch or 1 1/8th stem? Surely it is on your to do list?? Even if it only ends up a spare bike? We have to keep these steel frames alive
The whole original groupset is Shimano Altus A20. The shifters on this bike are missing parts and the front chain rings are totally worn.
I used to ride this bike regularly some 20-25 years ago and recently was going to rebuild it into a drop bar cyclocross bike but the reach with drops is to long for me. It actually says Cyclocross on the headtube decal, I don't think they were using the term hybrid in those days.
I'm not one to ever throw frames away and may still put it to some use in the future but with drop bars it would need a 50mm stem for me.

This is when I was toying with the idea of a rebuild, to fit me half the seat post would need to be lowered past the clamp bolt but then this stem would be way too high and way to long if angled down.
Stem is 1 1/8 I have other parts to try but never got into the project to try them.
Old 07-16-13, 12:39 PM
clarkbre

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
Here is a pic of my mid-90's Giant Innova. My neighbor bought it new and rode it very infrequently. In 2012 she had a hip replaced and vowed never to get on a bike again. I bought it for next to nothing, changed out the seat, shifters, grips, and added bar ends. Overall, it is a very nice riding bike and I like the simplicity of it.

Old 07-16-13, 11:46 PM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
The whole original groupset is Shimano Altus A20. The shifters on this bike are missing parts and the front chain rings are totally worn.
I used to ride this bike regularly some 20-25 years ago and recently was going to rebuild it into a drop bar cyclocross bike but the reach with drops is to long for me. It actually says Cyclocross on the headtube decal, I don't think they were using the term hybrid in those days.
I'm not one to ever throw frames away and may still put it to some use in the future but with drop bars it would need a 50mm stem for me.

This is when I was toying with the idea of a rebuild, to fit me half the seat post would need to be lowered past the clamp bolt but then this stem would be way too high and way to long if angled down.
Stem is 1 1/8 I have other parts to try but never got into the project to try them.
This is one sweet looking bike . . . I wonder if I should go this route?? It will be cool to see how your frame ends up. I think sometimes reintroducing yourself to the inspiration gets one enthused again?? Who knows aye?? Would make a nice 7sp type wet weather bike in this config. Could you post some seat and top tube measurements please?

Last edited by Bicycle Addict; 07-16-13 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 11:54 PM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PJCB Nice Univega these bikes have been teasing me a little lately as I have just purchased some Bicycling magazines from 91-92-93. Around this time these bikes were being fiercely at this time, with the likes of DB, Marin, Univega, Nishiki, Giant, Specialized all having full page Ads in most issues.
I seen an interview with Gary Fisher talking about the origins of the 29er, where he talks about these bikes as being a nice medium between MTB type speed down hills and road speed on road.
Thanks for the post.

Last edited by Bicycle Addict; 07-16-13 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 12:02 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkbre
Here is a pic of my mid-90's Giant Innova. My neighbor bought it new and rode it very infrequently. In 2012 she had a hip replaced and vowed never to get on a bike again. I bought it for next to nothing, changed out the seat, shifters, grips, and added bar ends. Overall, it is a very nice riding bike and I like the simplicity of it.

I dream of finding something in this condition, almost looks museum condition, a beautiful bike . . . years of lovely biking ahead . . great. Thank you posting/skiting!? LOL
Old 07-17-13, 12:30 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also guys . . . . .seat post is out after about an hour in the vice,frame is still straight enough, post in mangled beyond belief condition, Giant Innova guys seat post size please??
I think it maybe 26.8 mm, (at least I hope it is as I have one somewhere) Any help would be great.
Thanks all.

Last edited by Bicycle Addict; 01-07-14 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-17-13, 07:23 AM
jbchybridrider 

Also guys . . . . .seat post is out after about an hour in the vice,frame is still straight enough, post in mangled beyond belief, Giant Innova guys seat post size please??
I think it maybe 26.8mm(at least I hope it is as I have one somewhere. Any help would be great.
Thanks all.
My seat post is 26.6 I checked before posting to be sure.
Old 07-17-13, 07:45 PM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for that JBC, I will have to look at work.

Anymore pics out there? 26 inch hybrids?
Old 07-18-13, 07:15 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally $25, swapped out black quill, bars, and seatpost for silver, added trigger shifters and Deore rear derailleur

Last edited by oddjob2; 07-18-13 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-18-13, 08:10 AM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Originally $25, swapped out black quill, bars, and seatpost for silver, added trigger shifters and Deore rear derailleur
Lovely bike oddjob2, i have already seen it actually seen it while surfing the net. I really like a white bike some how more of a pull to ride? I do not know . . .lovely bike
I will eventually get the BB out of the frame (hopefully tomorrow, new Ritchey Logic h/set new seat post, I will repaint if the bike rides nicely, but will possibly on sell if it is too small(fingers crossed) I will look into replacement rims too at that point, maybe even a Brooks
Thank you for posting.

There's a lot of love out there man(Fillmore, Cars movie) . . . a lot of CroMo love!
Old 07-18-13, 09:17 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
It's a 90s hybrid, honest.

This is what that 1994 beauty looked like when I bought it in 2008 (with the original store price tags on it)

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-18-13, 07:19 PM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Bike Doohickie, I really like it now and also like the shot of what it was too, price tags still on that many years later . . . oh to find a few bikes like that.
I will post a pic soon of stripped frame and then some progress shots as I go. I am really enjoying this build so it should not take long at all . . hopefully!? I just love saving stuff thats destined for the dump!
Thanks for all the replies Guys lets keep 'em coming.
Old 07-18-13, 10:28 PM
Bicycle Addict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thought I would post a pic.

A very bare state and not out of the woods yet as I still have the BB to try to get out.
Attached Images
007.jpg (45.1 KB, 1083 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.