Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Low pressure for tubular tires at the track?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Low pressure for tubular tires at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 02:05 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldan Slo
I know the answer. I'm just seeing if wens knows the answer.
Don't do that. This is a forum, not a classroom, and even if it were a classroom, you are not qualified here to be a teacher. Make your statements straight up or not at all. If you disagree with a statement, state your disagreement plainly so we can talk about it. There is no qualification for stating truth... but leave the teacher/pupil thing out of it. It's presumptuous and rude.

Yes, radius is the driving factor behind g-forces. That said, we are talking about bike handling... not g-forces. A big person on a neutral bank on a 2g turn will require either bigger tires or higher pressure to keep the bike from squirming under the load of 400+lbs of rider weight at 2g. If the track is underbanked, pulling the same g's with the same person might require lower tire pressure to keep the bike from skipping up track as others have attested. Many crit riders will attest that lower tire pressure is beneficial to cornering grip on an underbanked turn.

In the former situation, the centripetal load is being carried by compression on the tires perpendicular to the track surface, putting a premium on holding tire defomation to a minimum so as to not affect steering. In the latter, centripetal load is being carried by frictional force between the tire tread and the track surface, putting a premium on grip. The net result is, as wens stated, that turn radius and banking are intimately related when talking about tire pressure and bike handling at a particular speed with a particular rider weight.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 02-24-15 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 02:18 PM
Oldan Slo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
It's presumptuous and rude.
Ouch. Guess I've been told. One should begin each post with a personal attack.

Last edited by Oldan Slo; 02-24-15 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-24-15, 02:22 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldan Slo
Ouch. Guess I've been told.
Come on. You've been here for what, 30 seconds and you are already telling people off? Just cuz you're on the internet doesn't mean manners evaporate.

Regardless. Maybe expand on your comment to wens? I'm curious to hear your views on tire pressure at the track, since you sound so sure of yourself in your first reply. Always learning... so, please, respond to the meat of my post and tell me why track banking and turn radius are independent.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-24-15, 02:57 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff

Yes, radius is the driving factor behind g-forces. That said, we are talking about bike handling... not g-forces. A big person on a neutral bank on a 2g turn will require either bigger tires or higher pressure to keep the bike from squirming under the load of 400+lbs of rider weight at 2g. If the track is underbanked, pulling the same g's with the same person might require lower tire pressure to keep the bike from skipping up track as others have attested. Many crit riders will attest that lower tire pressure is beneficial to cornering grip on an underbanked turn.

In the former situation, the centripetal load is being carried by compression on the tires perpendicular to the track surface, putting a premium on holding tire defomation to a minimum so as to not affect steering. In the latter, centripetal load is being carried by frictional force between the tire tread and the track surface, putting a premium on grip. The net result is, as wens stated, that turn radius and banking are intimately related when talking about tire pressure and bike handling at a particular speed with a particular rider weight.
I agree on what you've said- but the red bit is where I think things get tricky as you start really pushing the envelope.

While I totally agree that most people who ride Encino would do better at lower tire pressure to increase grip- when you start really pushing it on that track- say Sub-12" 200m, you've learned how to counter steer and stay in the lane- what I then start to notice is the lateral forces on the tire. You begin to feel the tire rolling over. You need the high pressure to combat this.. And you learn the bike handling skills required to keep the skipping to a minimum- or maybe you just learn to ride through it better..
Old 02-24-15, 03:21 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
I run 160psi at Encino on training wheels and as much as about 180psi on race wheels...
My fastest ever 500m there was a club event where I ran 200psi in my Disc. In the middle of turn 2 on my second lap I bounced and kicked the wheel out. The disc let out a huge thud like a bass drum. It was terrifying and I'm sure cost me time..
Still- dropping PSI does not make you faster- it might make you feel safer, which will likely result in a faster time..
Perhaps if I was heavier it would not be so bad. Feeling safer definitely makes me go faster! It could also be that I don't ride Encino very much any more and I am spoiled by VSC.
Old 02-24-15, 03:29 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
... when you start really pushing it on that track- say Sub-12" 200m, you've learned how to counter steer and stay in the lane- what I then start to notice is the lateral forces on the tire. You begin to feel the tire rolling over. You need the high pressure to combat this.. And you learn the bike handling skills required to keep the skipping to a minimum- or maybe you just learn to ride through it better..
Sounds... err... fun?

One thing I've noticed is skill trumps traction any day. Two g's is two g's, and if your tire start deforming enough under your weight to affect handling, you need to just learn how to let them scrub a bit and be smooth.
Old 02-24-15, 03:29 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I thought Colorado Springs was a very smooth track. I ran near 200 PSI there without an issue.
CS is smooth compared to many outdoor tracks. However, compared to my home track at VSC, it is very bumpy. I can't blame the track for everything, I should have done a couple more speed runs to get used to it. The wind that day was also a factor, as it was coming almost straight down the long axes of the track (I don't remember the direction), and when I got bumped, the wind took the rear disk for a ride. Like a sail, as soon as I started exiting the turn, the pressure came off, and my overcorrection took me right into the sponges (and also into a headwind).

I did not make the same mistake when I did my flying 200. Just goes to show that practice is a good thing.