Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

blankets vs sleeping bags?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

blankets vs sleeping bags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-16, 06:30 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yea, thanks for the suggestion, but I refuse to pay 4 times more than what I think it's really worth just because it's a niche item
Old 01-22-16, 07:26 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Down quilts for 3 season are awesome. I use a Jacks R Better Sierra Sniveler which can double as a down Serape saving weight and cost of a warm jacket. (forget winning fashion awards) But, light & inexpensive? pick one. What price a cozy night sleep? My JRBSS has been worth every penny.

Last edited by Worknomore; 01-22-16 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-22-16, 08:33 AM
northerntier

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got a 20-degree X-long, X-wide 800 Revelation from Enlightened Equipment. Weighs 26 ounces. Haven't tried it out in the cold yet. Hmm.... blizzard due to hit in a couple hours....
Old 01-22-16, 09:51 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Not clear at all that there is a meaningful weight saving if we talk about a solo sleeping bag vs quilt. However, zpacks offers a twin size quilt. Carrying two long medium size 20F sleeping bags would mean 1.1kg vs 791 grams for a twin quilt. In addition to weight saving, you share your buddy body's warmth. Drawback might be that the twin quilt's stuffed volume is twice that of a solo sleeping bag. Total volume is identical but you have to stow one quite large item in a pannier.
Old 01-22-16, 10:57 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So keep the sleeping bag and go down to one pad. Instead of trying to get a quilt stick with a good bag, Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina is my go to, and you should be fine. You may save miniscule weight but will lose a lot in comfort and practicality.
While your opinion is perfectly valid, and I know there are plenty of people who don't like quilts, remember that your opinion is not universal.

I find my enlightened quilt much more comfortable than a sleeping bag, and more practical as well. I've used my 30 degree quilt from snow camping the mid teens (I was cold), to 65 or so (whatever someone's spare bedroom was at night). A quilt gives me the option of being as wrapped up, or as loosely draped as I need, which allows me to extend the temperature range quite a bit.
Old 01-26-16, 04:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
same. also side sleeper, i was thinking about wraping the two air pads together with a couple of straps so the pads conform to me
There's this ...

Teen Invents Rain, Fire-proof Sleeping Bag for Homeless, and Offers Jobs - Good News Network
Old 01-27-16, 11:56 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i got my military poncho, tried it out, and like it a lot!

twice the size of a normal blanket, half the weight of my sleeping bag. doesn't wrinkle. dirt cheap (comparatively). I'm happy

total weight of bivy+air pad+poncho+air pillow = 2.3kg. shaved around 0.4 kg off of my sleeping setup.
Old 02-02-16, 09:01 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good info on Ray's website: https://www.rayjardine.com/index.shtml
R
Old 02-04-16, 01:19 PM
ryanscottdavis

Bikes: 2010 LHT, 2 hand-built Stowe's, 5 more

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
just wrap yourself in an aluminium survival blanket (space blanket).
I did that on my last tour, started in August with 90* days and 65* nights, worked well! They are really noisy, but do keep you warm. Fully clothed, in a sleeping bag liner, wrapped in a space blanket, in a hammock. After my first 40* night I picked up a sleeping bag though...
Old 02-09-16, 08:12 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
That's what I ended up getting; a "Jacks R Better" quilt with rip stop nylon "wings" that tuck in to stop night time draughts. It works to some extent, but when I rolled over there would always be a lot of adjusting and I'd get cold. The wings could be tied together to approximate a sleeping bag.......but I realized why not just get a decent bag? A bag can be unzipped to function like a quilt, zipped up to stop draughts for the side sleeper and over night "roller" and has a hood to keep the head and neck warm. Expense is the only down side....{I intended the pun), but some quilts are expensive too.
You can get cheap bags that since one is buying them from China work out the same or better than making one's own quilt. I tend not to get rid of bags so they hang around for a long time, some of mine are 30 years old and the kids are using them. A quilt is more disposable for better performance. But yeah. There is a lot to be said for bags. For me the quilt is better when the body to outside air gradient isn't too bad. If it is really cold, I prefer to use a bag, but a quilt is better where I am just using the bag as a quilt.

I have one very good down bag for winter, they last a long time, and they pack which a winter down bag doesn't, almost takes up the whole pack. I have a NF polarguard winter bag, and it is pretty much a sled or car thing it is so big. Jardine says that one shouldn't have a down quilt, He does a lot of high altitude camping where there is always a possibility of getting hosed and cold. I'm just cheap, but I use his argument to confirm my preferences. I think if I was wanted to use a bag, and a down one at that, I wouldn't care that much about weight, and down last extremely well. So some of the arguments for a quilt go away.

I think a reason Jardine gets good use out of his quilt is that he can build them lighter than most people make a bag. I have one summer bag, that I actually like a lot, but most of the bags I ever sold were 3 season, when people spend that money they want as much range as possible. It's winter in February/Canada up here and nominally within the three season range. So most of those bags are overbuilt, and a quilt is a nifty alternative with only one layer of batting.