Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Last tent questions...I promise

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 08:19 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts

I'm focusing on the MSR Hubba Hubba NX and the REI Quarter Dome. One thing I really like about the Quarter Dome is that you can open and close the single large fly vent from inside the tent through a zipper in the tent wall. I'm just not confident in the 15 denier fly and worry about durability (the MSR is 20 denier). I ruled out the BA tents because the floors are 10 denier thinner than either the REI or the MSR. I'll use a footprint or Tyvek, but durability is a big issue with me. The Half Dome is just too heavy.

Is this a big deal or not? I can't find any tents, other than the REI Half Dome which accesses the vents because they are near the top of the vestibule, that allows for inside adjustment. At least no tent descriptions make a point about this.

Does anyone know of other tents in the 3-4 lb. range that have inside accessible vents?

I'm thinking that I wouldn't want to exit the tent in the rain to close vents.

But...Is this even necessary? Aside from wind driven vertical rain, do tents "leak" if fly vents are left open in the rain?

Thank you and I'll try to keep my promise in the title.
Old 02-22-16, 09:57 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I am familiar with both the older hubba/hubba+hubba series and the REI Quarterdome T2 plus - and spent >100 nights in each:
- Took a hubba across Russia and switched it for hubba hubba part way through. One tent pole broke but I was able to keep it working.
- Took a Quarterdome across Africa. Had some holes in the floor and the zippers stopped working by time I was finished.

My overall summary:
- Opening and closing vents is not a big deal for me. Not sure I remember to do so and certainly didn't have to go out in the rain for it.
- Overall both are reasonable tents, the hubba series had more complex poles so that was slight drawback, but after sandstorms my zippers stopped working on other tent, definitely having a floor repair kit is good.
- Probably can't go too wrong with either. Nice dimensions, weight and double doors in both cases make them nice tents overall.

Right now my next big trip will be with a Quarterdome.
Old 02-22-16, 10:26 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...questions.html

Sometimes it is best to stick with one thread to help people follow your sorting out process, especially months or years from now.

Since you're down to two then probably just visit a local store and set one up, and buy the one you set up since you'll have also verified it is complete and good to go.

I've got a little bit older HalfDome2 and an even older HalfDome and am fine with either for my past needs in a tent. The only times I leave the tent in the rain is to check lines and such or to water a tree.

Enjoy whichever tent you get, I suspect either one will be just fine.
Old 02-23-16, 12:04 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wouldn't let the ability to open the vent from inside of the tent be a major selling point, In all but the worst conditions the vent should be open.

Don't worry too much about the denier rating of the fly, treat it nicely and the fly should never have to deal with abrasion. Honestly, neither should the floor. A few punctures, maybe, but those are easily fixed with something like Tenacious Tape.

Buy based on other, more important features, like space, ease of set-up, or even color.
Old 02-23-16, 12:19 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Is this a big deal or not? I can't find any tents, other than the REI Half Dome which accesses the vents because they are near the top of the vestibule, that allows for inside adjustment. At least no tent descriptions make a point about this.
Wouldn't rate it as a big deal, but my Eureka Spitfire tent also allows the fly vent to be accessed through a zipper at the top of the tent. It's a nice idea but I've never had to close the vent yet. It would take a pretty strong wind from just the wrong direction to blow rain through the vent.
Old 02-23-16, 09:51 PM
Marc40a

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly ECR, Serotta CSI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Hubba Hubba NX was on my short list and I ended up going with a Marmot Pulsar 1p. That particular tent is discontinued but the Force 2p is currently available and is a refinement of that design.

It has a more robust fly and floor than the models you were looking at with only a modest weight penalty. It also has head/foot room for days the way the end walls are pulled out by the main support pole.
Old 02-24-16, 08:16 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm hoping the the Tyvek ground sheet will do it's job of protecting the Big Agnes tent floor. Just a thought, maybe if you close the vents you might get moisture from condensation, than you wold from a bit of rain coming in with vents open?

It's hard to argue with someone who's been across Russia and Africa.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 02-24-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 08:38 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I can't find any tents, other than the REI Half Dome which accesses the vents because they are near the top of the vestibule, that allows for inside adjustment. At least no tent descriptions make a point about this.

Does anyone know of other tents in the 3-4 lb. range that have inside accessible vents?
I know (and own) a tent in the 1-2 lb. range with ventilation easily accessible from the inside. The design may look odd, but other than not being freestanding (which is not such a big deal in fact), it performs admirably.

Both sides are mesh hemicircles. You regulate ventilation by adjusting the storm doors. Have camped in heavy downpours -- the fabric (cuben fiber) is water-tight. Just be careful with how you set the guy lines and you'll stay dry.
Old 02-24-16, 08:50 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have anything to say about condensation? The Duplex is a dream tent.
Old 02-24-16, 09:10 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Do you have anything to say about condensation? The Duplex is a dream tent.
(I assume that this is a follow-up to my post)

None really. The side walls provide enough ventilation. Storm doors extend outwards such that air isn't trapped inside the tent.

Condensation has not been an issue for me. (Much less than with the more conventional tent + rainfly combo.)
Old 02-24-16, 09:27 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Same with me. Have vents on my tents and they stay always open. Never had an issue or a thought that I wanted to close the vent.

Originally Posted by prathmann
Wouldn't rate it as a big deal, but my Eureka Spitfire tent also allows the fly vent to be accessed through a zipper at the top of the tent. It's a nice idea but I've never had to close the vent yet. It would take a pretty strong wind from just the wrong direction to blow rain through the vent.