Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

4 Season tent/ No sleeping bag?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-16, 12:29 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hey all,

Plan on doing a highspeed touring trip this weekend to the Catskills. I have a Hillieberg Akto Tent, a Therm-a-rest NeoXlite pad and 20degree 650fp sleeping bag. The bag is actually up for sale on my ebay so I didn't want to use it. I was thinking of just sleeping on the pad in my tent since the Akto is a 4season. I've done this before on a tour while in the Rockies and Sierra Mountains. I woke up pretty cold. However, I didn't have my neoXlite pad, I was using a foam pad. Some nights were good and some were just chill. I'm wondering if I can get away with it this weekend with temps in the 80's. I'll be layering with my nano puff jacket and thermals to stay warm on top of my NeoXlite.

I just didn't want to use the bag since It will be selling on my ebay in a few days. Also, I can save weight. Was thinking of doing just an overnighter or two day. I have to make it back in town for 4th. All opinions appreciated.
Old 06-29-16, 12:34 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
You can always carry one of those Emergency Foil Blankets.

I have use them twice.

Old 06-29-16, 12:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I don't know what the temps will be up in the Catskills or how hot or cold you run but I would certainly plan for being a touch colder.

Generally I try not to get rid of gear till I have something to replace it with (if I need it replaced) so I don't run into these types of situations. However for me I would probably be OK down to 50 so long as I had good thermal stuff and maybe at least a small blanket or sheet just in case.
Old 06-29-16, 12:45 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Thanks guys! Yeah thermals are crucial for me with a solid pair of socks. I think I should be ok up there without it. Some areas are above tree line.
Old 06-29-16, 12:46 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
No bag? Try a bag liner or what I have, a 50 degree North face bag, like the size of a cantaloupe and fairly light.
Old 06-29-16, 12:58 PM
biketocamp
Banned.

Yeah I think the SOL emergency bivvy will be a good match for this trip.

Last edited by biketocamp; 06-29-16 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 02:08 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I've gone this route in the past and was pretty surprised at how much a simple air pocket matters for warmth. Grab an UL bivy bag and sleep in that. the SOL one isn't breathable at all; a light non-waterproof bivy would work a lot better and keep you from soaking in sweat by morning, which the SOL bag always did to me.

I don't do this anymore. My little 55º sleeping bag is light enough that I just go ahead and carry it. Montbell makes a little down blanket that is a great summer sleeping-bag-free item. You can snap it around your legs and use a coat. Today, 90% of my touring happens in areas or seasons where a 30º bag or warmer is crucial.

Cross your arms and legs! That holds a lot of heat!
Old 06-29-16, 03:43 PM
Gadgets4grls

Bikes: Surly Disc LHT customized, Fuji Tread, GT Zaskar 9R Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hey all,

Plan on doing a highspeed touring trip this weekend to the Catskills. I have a Hillieberg Akto Tent, a Therm-a-rest NeoXlite pad and 20degree 650fp sleeping bag. The bag is actually up for sale on my ebay so I didn't want to use it. I was thinking of just sleeping on the pad in my tent since the Akto is a 4season. I've done this before on a tour while in the Rockies and Sierra Mountains. I woke up pretty cold. However, I didn't have my neoXlite pad, I was using a foam pad. Some nights were good and some were just chill. I'm wondering if I can get away with it this weekend with temps in the 80's. I'll be layering with my nano puff jacket and thermals to stay warm on top of my NeoXlite.

I just didn't want to use the bag since It will be selling on my ebay in a few days. Also, I can save weight. Was thinking of doing just an overnighter or two day. I have to make it back in town for 4th. All opinions appreciated.
Hi biketocamp,

I'm not sure what your goal is, ultra light or other, so I'll just put this out there.

I have a Sea to Summit Thermolite extreme bag liner that I pair with a Sol Escape Respirant bivy. This work well for me in warm temperatures but than I sleep like an ice cube. For someone that sleeps warmer it would probably work down into the 50's. The benefit with this combo is that the shell is meant as an emergency bivy so you could use it without the tent.

As with most thing in life your mileage may vary but just an option.

Gadgets
Old 06-29-16, 03:45 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
If it was me I'd bring my emergency space-blanket that bought years ago for a $1 and never used. I've always thought I'd like to try it someday but never have.

Stay well fed and you'll survive fine.

Last edited by BigAura; 06-29-16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 04:43 PM
qpb52

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am pretty experienced backpacker, a novice cyclist--but theory is the same. Don't under-estimate the weather or over-estimate your ability to withstand it. Whatever you think the weather isn't going to be is likely what it will be. Take something beside a bag liner. You are minimally setting yourself up for an uncomfortable night.

I only carry about 30 lbs in my pack for 5 days, but I am damn sure it includes a solid sleep system.
Old 06-29-16, 07:03 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sell the 4 season tent, get a lighter weight 3 season tent and keep the sleeping bag. You will save more weight and sleep better.
Old 06-29-16, 08:28 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
You can probably get away with a lot if the night temperatures will really be in the 80F+ range (but I'd think the days might be uncomfortable). But I wouldn't depend on your 4-season tent to keep you warm. At best it'll block wind from cooling you. That'll help but tents are not good thermal insulators regardless of their rating. 4-season mainly indicates ability to withstand snow loads, high winds, and keep blowing snow from getting inside. OTOH, they generally tend to be heavier, less roomy, and with less ventilation.
Old 06-29-16, 08:57 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I rode from missouri to boston with nothing but a sleeping pad and a bed sheet.
It was July.
good god....don't you bring enough clothes that you can wear two shirts and your rain jacket if you get a chill? You won't die.
Bring a stocking cap. Your head is where most of the heat escapes.
Old 06-30-16, 07:53 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You don't really give a temperature range, but in my experience a four season tent is rated for winter use because it's better equipped to deal with high winds and snow load, not because it's warmer. Of course, and tent is slightly warmer than nothing, but shouldn't be relied upon for insulation.

Does Costco still have the $20 dollar down blankets?

Edit: Damn-I somehow missed that prathmann said the exact same thing as me. But it's still true.
Old 06-30-16, 07:56 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Sell the 4 season tent, get a lighter weight 3 season tent and keep the sleeping bag. You will save more weight and sleep better.
A Hilleberg Akto is already lighter than most 3-season tents.
Old 06-30-16, 08:32 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Most of the time last summer I just used the rain fly from the tent and covered up with it. It wasn't until late in the trip that I ever used the sleeping bag. You'd be amazed at how much warmth the rainfly from the tent will provide. Given the forecast for this weekend and pretty much the rest of the summer, I wouldn't bother with the sleeping bag. It looks like low to mid 50s for the overnight. Maybe take along a pair of long johns with you or a sweat suit and you should be fine. No need for a sleeping bag unless you are that cold of a sleeper.
Old 06-30-16, 02:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When I tour one of the most important things for me is a good night sleep. Thus I'll at least bring a lightweight sleeping bag. Sometimes clothes are damp and clear nights are unexpectedly cool and thus a warm covering is appreciated. However some peole are fine without a sleeping bag of any sort. It depends on what you find comfortable.

Cheers
Old 06-30-16, 03:02 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i had the akto hated the thing like sleeping in a wind tunnel .
why suffer on a trip bring a good lightweight matt and bag .
Old 06-30-16, 03:10 PM
Dsprok

Bikes: Hybrid and Folding

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hey all,

Get an ultra light sleeping bag.
Old 07-01-16, 11:19 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Take sleeping bag and a tarp. Forget the tent.
Old 07-02-16, 12:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hotels.