Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Warm Sleeping Bag Liners

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Warm Sleeping Bag Liners

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-17, 07:54 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Warm Sleeping Bag Liners

Does anyone use the additional warmth varieties, and do they work?

Looking at sleeping temps two weeks out from my trip, they are averaging 10-15F colder than the low of what I am used to, and flirting with my 25F bag rating. Normally, this bag gets used down to the low 40s without issue, only wearing boxers, whereas night temps are hovering around freezing now. Even though I'll have long underwear and clothes that can be slept in, I'm wondering if any liner is worth picking up to help out?
Old 06-10-17, 07:55 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It definitely will work, but I don't think they are any better than sleeping fully clothed and with a pair of sock on. They do have the advantage of keeping your sleeping bag cleaner, but it is one more item to transport.
Old 06-10-17, 07:58 PM
jefnvk

FWIW, I also have a 0F bag, but the additional bulk is considerably more than my 25F bag and a liner
Old 06-10-17, 08:14 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One liner method I use only when it's expected to drop well below freezing is a vapor-barrier liner. I hit upon this by accident one night when the temperature dropped down to low single digits (F) and my bag was rated to about 25F. I also had one of those 2 oz. mylar emergency blankets, so I wrapped myself in that and then got back in the sleeping bag. The mylar was a little crinkly but it made a surprising difference in how warm I felt for the rest of the night and I slept well. Later learned that I had basically created a vapor-barrier liner - i.e. a fully waterproof layer right up against my skin. Therefore I was no longer losing any heat energy to evaporation which explains why I felt so much warmer. I've also found that I wake up less thirsty in the morning and there's less condensation in the tent. Note that this is only recommended when you'd otherwise be rather cold. Under warmer conditions your body would continue to perspire and the inside of the vapor-barrier would feel like a wet sauna. I've now bought and use a waterproof nylon liner which is a bit more comfortable and less noisy than the mylar version and still only weighs a few ounces. But again, only on below freezing nights when my sleeping bag alone would not be sufficient.
Old 06-11-17, 05:09 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Hey @jefnvk check out the Sea to Summit extreme series of bag liners. I just ordered their regular liner, but they have several different liners, and they claim to add 20 degrees to your bag as well as feeling soft and comfy. Lightweight too!
Old 06-11-17, 09:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Vapor barriers get used when it gets really cold

all your perspiration is contained so none evaporates to cool you..

think aluminized plastic bag. (but it will pack small..)
Old 06-11-17, 10:03 AM
jefnvk

@NoControl - those were the ones I was looking at specifically, they caught my eye at a Gander Mountain closing sale. Since I can get them locally for the same price as online, I'll probably keep an eye on the weather situation over there, and if it isn't looking like I can expect the temps to be in the mid-40s or better, grab one right before I leave.
Old 06-11-17, 01:31 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I use a down bag from Western Mountaineering. The original rating was 30F but I asked the company to over stuff it slightly. I found the bag almost comfortable with snow on the ground so temps were in the 20sF. Of course, for a winter hike I had packed a warm fleece base layer and could further supplement by throwing my parka over the bag as necessary. These extra layers were part of a standard winter and shoulder season kit. I generally try to pack light but not ultra light and for a short week-end hike, I don't mind being a bit cold at night.
Old 06-11-17, 01:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Patagonia Silk weight long underwear, was what I put on in the night, as PJs.. In My sleeping bag & in Hostels..

AYH had a hostel regulation to bring a liner, rectangular, with a pillow cover pouch,

rather than use your outdoor gear and release any bugs you may have brought in with you.

Old 06-11-17, 02:47 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I have the Reactor Extreme thermolite liner, but I'm not sure if my experience is typical. My sleeping bag has a supposed -1C (30F) rating, and the liner claims an up to 14C (57F) extension to that rating. The coldest I have used it is -3C (26F), I also had numerous layers of clothing on and was still cold (on a hammock, with a inflatable matress layer underneath). I tend to think my old bones just won't warm up like they used to, as I should have been snug as a bug in a rug. Either that or the -3 number I was given by another person was erroneous, although I would say it would not have been too much colder.
I have seen other peoples reports where they say the 14C claim is quite optimistic, so you'll be warmer, but not by that much. Like yourself, I like the idea of having a light bag, and in winter just adding the liner.
Old 06-11-17, 05:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I have never thought that a liner helps make a sleeping bag that much warmer, but a gal I used to work with always used a liner, she said she used it to keep her bag cleaner when she was grungy. It made so much sense to me that I always used a liner since then.

Iceland last summer, I used my 25 degree bag and a Sea to Summit Thermolite liner. I got that liner from REI at a scratch and dent sale for a lot less than full price. That combination was warm enough for me. But it never froze when I was there.

When I feel chilly in my sleeping bag, I often drape my down vest over the torso area of my sleeping bag for extra insulation above my bag. And wear a skull cap type stocking cap on my head. I think the stocking cap adds more to staying warm in my bag than a liner does.

I brought long underwear tops and bottoms to Iceland, never used them.

Different topic, I am not sure if I previously suggested that you put the weather service app on a smartphone to use there. I never had a sim card, but I could use it where I had wifi. It gave me great forecasts for wind (meters per second) and wind direction, temp (celsius), and likelyhood of precip. This is for android, maybe there is an equivalent for apple devices.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....android&hl=en

If not available for apple, it is available as a website. Or you could use it on a tablet if you have wifi.
Home-page - Icelandic Meteorological Office | Icelandic Meteorological office
Old 06-11-17, 08:10 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I don't use liners but do use sleeping bag covers like the one from equinox.
Old 06-12-17, 10:50 AM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've always thought those Sea To Summit Reactor liners are absurd. Insulation isn't magic, and the reactors claim to have the same warmth as an inch and a half of down loft. It just doesn't seem all that likely to me, and the fact that they aren't rated by any independent organization doesn't give me much hope.

Liners do help a bit, but I'd guess 5 degrees tops. If you're really cold, I'll second what's been said here before, put on your down jacket. It's not the most fun, but it beats being to cold to sleep.
Old 06-12-17, 11:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
IME, a silk liner adds about 10F warmth to an old bag. The extra dead air keeps me warmer than I'd frankly expected. Keeping the bag clean is a bonus, too!
Old 06-12-17, 12:01 PM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
IME, a silk liner adds about 10F warmth to an old bag. The extra dead air keeps me warmer than I'd frankly expected. Keeping the bag clean is a bonus, too!
Agreed. I also find that I sleep better using one because they do a surprisingly good job of reducing those annoying "drafts" you get if you don't zip up your bag all the way up like a cocoon, which can be too hot for me in warmer weather.

And if you want to extend the range of your existing bag, I also highly recommend the Survive Outdoors Longer Escape Bivvy (Survive Outdoors Longer® Escape? Bivvy | S.O.L.® | Survive Outdoors Longer®). Worn OUTSIDE your liner or your bag (YMMV), they really do add an appreciable amount of warmth to a bag, plus they are almost as lightweight and packable as a silk liner. But you definitely want this breathable one, not the other non-breathable bivvy bags they sell.

Using a big with these two liners, I find it pretty easy to dial-in a comfortable sleeping temperature for a wide range of overnight temperatures. It is a bit like the layering concept with clothing, I think. I have adopted this system over my warmer (but bulkier and heavier) three-season down bag - much more versatile and just as warm and comfy.
Old 06-12-17, 02:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
For your iceland trip, I do not know if you might use a hostel or not. Some of the hostels have a lower charge if you use your own bedding. Where they have geothermal heat the hostels are quite warm too. I stayed in three different hostels while there and the liner is nice to have when the sleeping bag by itself is too warm.
Old 06-14-17, 02:23 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used a silk liner and noticed a small difference. Liners and clothes are not nearly as effective as a good and appropriate bag for the temps though.
Old 06-14-17, 02:31 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
For your iceland trip, I do not know if you might use a hostel or not. Some of the hostels have a lower charge if you use your own bedding. Where they have geothermal heat the hostels are quite warm too. I stayed in three different hostels while there and the liner is nice to have when the sleeping bag by itself is too warm.
Valid point.
Old 06-15-17, 10:45 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Hey @jefnvk I got my liner last night, and I was surprised to find it a little bigger - when stuffed in its bag, and a little heavier than I expected. Its not a problem, really, I just expected a little smaller. Still, it packs down to the size of a softball. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm impressed with the quality of the fabric, and I'm certain it'll make my bag a lot warmer.