Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cheap small stove

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cheap small stove

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 10:25 AM
ricohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cheap (nearly free) small stove

I know many of you know about these super-cheap home made stoves but I thought I would post a link because its winter.
And many of us have to much time on our hands!
https://www.wimp.com/coolstove/
Old 12-31-08, 12:35 PM
smovlov
I live in a bicycle.

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Le Champion, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1985 Nishiki Cresta GT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I prefer this one.

https://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/penny.html
Old 12-31-08, 12:36 PM
chrispe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats really cool, but where do I get some fiber glass, also I might try it with something other than fiberglass I don't really like that stuff, especially if it could catch on fire. Trying different fuels would also be interesting.
Old 12-31-08, 12:51 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I like the Super Cat stove
Old 12-31-08, 03:49 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
There are hundreds of variations on the cat food or soda can stove. I used a soda can stove for a while
and it worked fine and was light. But in the end I went over to a Trangia as it has a simmer ring and is pretty
much indestructible. It's a bit heavier, but really solid and I like the ability to control the heat when cooling things like eggs
Old 12-31-08, 04:11 PM
Cave
Slowpoach

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Northwood tandem, 1970s Gitane fixxed 45x16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, I'm back to the trangia too.

www.zenstoves.net has a good collection.

-- edit
Hey, they have new sections on cannister and petrol stoves!

Last edited by Cave; 12-31-08 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-01-09, 10:40 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Mini-Trangia is great! You can take it on a plane, buy fuel anywhere (or if your stuck, burn vodka). It boils water in about 5 minutes depending on the fuel and is light and super compact because the stove, a fry pan, a saucepan and a handle all fit together for storage.

BTW Ricohman, I used to sell those cameras. The rangefinder cameras were the best Ricoh made. Optics were good too, but not quite as good as my Konica Auto S2
Old 01-01-09, 01:53 PM
ricohman

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stokell

The Mini-Trangia is great! You can take it on a plane, buy fuel anywhere (or if your stuck, burn vodka). It boils water in about 5 minutes depending on the fuel and is light and super compact because the stove, a fry pan, a saucepan and a handle all fit together for storage.

BTW Ricohman, I used to sell those cameras. The rangefinder cameras were the best Ricoh made. Optics were good too, but not quite as good as my Konica Auto S2
I started a Ricoh collection when my father-in-law gave me one of his old rangefinders. I now have over 20 of them including one in an original wooden display box. I like the fact they are Japanese clones of Leica.
You wouldn't happen to know what type of Japanese wood the box is made from would you?
It smells very much like cedar.
My favorite rangefinder is the Yashica GSN series. Beautiful sharp lens. I have quite a few of these as well.
Old 01-04-09, 10:29 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another version of the cat stove
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stove only small.jpg (86.5 KB, 17 views)
burning stove small.jpg (94.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-04-09, 10:42 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Semi related- I know that Heet is available at any gas station or auto parts store in my area, but I never really paid any attention in warmer climates. Do they have it everywhere? Also, it`s my understanding that these stoves don`t have any on/off mechanism- you just experiment to figure out how much of whatever fuel you need and then let it burn itself out. Once you get your fuel quantity figured out, is it a big deal to switch fuels in case you can`t find the one you`re used to?

Oh yeah, I hope it isn`t a requirement to be a RF fan- I`m sticking with my Olympus SLRs!
Old 01-04-09, 11:09 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Semi related- I know that Heet is available at any gas station or auto parts store in my area, but I never really paid any attention in warmer climates. Do they have it everywhere? Also, it`s my understanding that these stoves don`t have any on/off mechanism- you just experiment to figure out how much of whatever fuel you need and then let it burn itself out. Once you get your fuel quantity figured out, is it a big deal to switch fuels in case you can`t find the one you`re used to?

Oh yeah, I hope it isn`t a requirement to be a RF fan- I`m sticking with my Olympus SLRs!

Thats right, after a little practice it's easy to judge how much fuel to use. I scribed a fill line on the inside of my stove that I know is right for 2 cups, then I just judge if I need a little more or less depending on what's for dinner. Also, most people use these stoves with a pot cozy, an insulated cover for the pot. Bring your meal up to a boil and then slip the whole pot (lid covered) into the cozy to complete the cooking time. My basic one pot wonder consists of 1/4 cup rice, some vegetables, and a piece of meat or fish. Water, rice, vegetables next and meat on top, bring to a boil (about 1oz fuel) and slid into the cozy. 15 min. later, it's dinner time.
Attached Images
almost packed small.jpg (85.6 KB, 13 views)
all packed up small.jpg (85.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-04-09, 01:25 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made this for this past hunting season, & it worked very well!

To keep it really simple, try a soup can & a church key. No need for building a pot holder the can will hold it. Otherwise shop for a wider soup/ tuna/ bean can. As you can see, I put some small holes near the bottom to facilitate a hotter burn. Just a small splash of alcohol will boil a cup of water for ramin noodles. Doesn't get simpler than that.

Sorry it's slightly blurry, but you'll get the idea.

~Roger
Attached Images
Can Stove 006.jpg (32.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-04-09, 02:45 PM
stedalus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrispe
Thats really cool, but where do I get some fiber glass, also I might try it with something other than fiberglass I don't really like that stuff, especially if it could catch on fire. Trying different fuels would also be interesting.
The fiberglass is not strictly necessary. But fiberglass is specifically used as a flame ******ant, so I wouldn't worry about it catching on fire. You can get it at Home Depot, or pull a bit out of your attic if you have one.
Old 01-04-09, 03:31 PM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrispe
These type of stoves work with denatured alcohol only. In a pinch you could use rubbing alcohol but it works poorly and soots your pot. Gasoline or Coleman fuel (white gas) would be very dangerous.
Old 01-05-09, 11:30 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, Gregw. Also,

Once you get your fuel quantity figured out, is it a big deal to switch fuels in case you can`t find the one you`re used to?
????
Old 01-05-09, 11:51 AM
gregw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Gregw. Also,

????
I've used a few different fuels over the years, different quart cans from the paint store, sold as paint thinner / cleaner, and HEET (yellow container, not the red one) and each of these seems to be pretty equal. I'm sure there are some differences but we're not talking rocket science here. If you unsure, just add a little more, let the pot boil until the fuel is gone and then into the pot cozy it goes.

Also Heet is available through out the country, it's used to get water out of your gas tank. Alcohol attracts and combines with water, which allows it to get burned with the rest of the gas.