Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

'93 Trek 520.... $420?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

'93 Trek 520.... $420?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 09:36 AM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
'93 Trek 520.... $420?

I'm looking at buying this bike, it is the right size for my height, but a little out of my price range. Is this bike worth $420?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1350604072.html

This is what I believe is a 1993 Trek 520, the last year Trek made a lugged steel version. It has been Trek's main touring model for for 20+ years. It’s a 23”/58.5 cm center to top.

It has

*True Temper & Tange chromoly frame & fork
*Cantilever studs
*triple water bottle bosses, 2 bottle cages are included
*Double eyelets rear, single front and lowrider bosses.
*The cranks and deraillers are Shimano DX (which would probably be comparable to LX today)
*Bar-end shifters.

It looks like it should take 700 X 35s with fenders easily. The wheelset is not original but is functional, and the tires are new. I have a nice wheelset (105 rear hub, nexus dynamo front) for an optional upgrade if you wish. It’s a nice bike, both for touring or around-town use; it’s the second one I’ve owned. Cash only.
Old 09-04-09, 09:48 AM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ad has been up for 5 days now; if $400 is really too far out, I'd toss him a $300 offer and promise of a quick sale and haggle from there. Not sure what the wheels are; I'd inquire as to what the current and extra sets are (though the extras are probably out of your range).

It looks like a very capable bike, and replacement parts for it would be cheap.
Old 09-04-09, 03:00 PM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I just bought a 1991, model, in very good condition, for $200. The guy started at $450. He had been trying to sell it for a month before I saw the ad and contacted him.
Old 09-04-09, 04:30 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker
I'm looking at buying this bike, it is the right size for my height, but a little out of my price range. Is this bike worth $420?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/1350604072.html

This is what I believe is a 1993 Trek 520, the last year Trek made a lugged steel version. It has been Trek's main touring model for for 20+ years. It’s a 23”/58.5 cm center to top.

It has

*True Temper & Tange chromoly frame & fork
*Cantilever studs
*triple water bottle bosses, 2 bottle cages are included
*Double eyelets rear, single front and lowrider bosses.
*The cranks and deraillers are Shimano DX (which would probably be comparable to LX today)
*Bar-end shifters.

It looks like it should take 700 X 35s with fenders easily. The wheelset is not original but is functional, and the tires are new. I have a nice wheelset (105 rear hub, nexus dynamo front) for an optional upgrade if you wish. It’s a nice bike, both for touring or around-town use; it’s the second one I’ve owned. Cash only.
I've been riding a TREK 500 since I bought it in 1985 and I would say; it's priceless. I've always said that is the one thing I would carry out of a burning house.
Old 09-04-09, 08:42 PM
Rogerinchrist

Bikes: TREK-520 & 830

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of things...
I own a '93 520, bought it new. It is not lugged.
It came with Shimano Deore LX derailers, hubs & cranks.
See if he will give you the serial number to check out here https://www.vintage-trek.com/
I'd ask for more/ better pictures because the handle bars are not original either.
The right wheel set will make all the difference if you plan to load it up for touring. If these are too weak you'll have to start from scratch (meaning he better be ready to lower the price).
I've seen some 520s of that era go for near $600 on E-Bay.
It's really only "worth" what your willing to pay. In other words, if it's a good deal to you, & your satisfied with it, then it's worth the price.

~Roger

Last edited by Rogerinchrist; 09-04-09 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 05:43 AM
HillCusser

Bikes: '93 Trek 520, '98 Trek 1220, '01 C-dale T800

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike looks good - if I wanted it, I'd grab it before someone else does. I'm loving my '93, and plan on using it for the Indianhead Century ride on Sept. 13 in MD. https://ohbike.org/century/

Old 09-06-09, 09:10 AM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Definitely haggle, especially if you feel there are other fish in the sea and you don't have to have this bike. Touring bikes are not a popular commodity which means they often sit for a long time with no one even interested.

Case in point: there is an '09 Cannondale Touring 2 like new with 100 miles and front/rear bags and wireless computer valued at $1500 retail that has been on the Houston craigslist for almost 2 months. Asking price of $950, no takers, so now the seller has come down to $899 which is a fantastic buy. If I hadn't just bought a 2008 T2 off ebay I would have been all over that bike. It's my size, too.