Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is everyone wearing for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is everyone wearing for commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 02:08 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I've got a 15 mile one way commute, which means office clothes are right out.

Summer (i.e. temperatures >25C):
Cycling jersey and shorts. Fingerless gloves. Headband (if over 30). Cycling shoes with thin socks on the bike with clipless, sandals on the bike with double sided pedals.

Spring/Fall (i.e. temperatures 4-25C)
Cycling jersey and shorts. Nylon pants (neon green from the early 90s!) if it's cool (below 8C), thin breathable jacket with a light rain jacket over top if it's raining. Cycling shoes with normal socks, with neoprene socks if it's raining. Full length MTB gloves.

Winter: (i.e. temperatures <4C)
Fleece lined tights. Cycling Jersey. Fleece lined, breathable, highly water resistant cycling jacket. Water resistant, fleece lined gloves. Thin balaclava (not covering mouth or nose) if it's chilly (below 2C). Waterproof hiking boots and wool socks on the bike with double sided pedals. Cycling shoes with two layers of socks on the bike with clipless pedals.
Old 03-18-13, 04:15 PM
anichka

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have any other females posted on this thread?

I live in the PNW, so I like stuff that will dry quickly. 6 days out of 7, I am going to encounter some form of rain.

My commute (usually ranges from 15 to 40 miles/day) is mostly done in work out clothes, as the first place I go after dropping off my son at preschool is the gym. So, mostly some stretchy sort of pants, maybe another pair of light pants over that, an athletic tank top (UnderArmour or a similar brand), long sleeve sports t, a light vest (depending on the temperature), and usually my Showers Pass bright yellow jacket.

If I am not heading to workout, I dress pretty similar. I don't wear jeans unless it's going to be a really light commuting day and no rain in sight. Otherwise, pants that will dry quickly and have some stretch to them. I like Lole's travel pants. Tops tend to still be tank/long sleeve/jacket if needed.

I wear street shoes. My hiking boots with Gortex liner if it's really chilly, my Bogs if it's absolutely pouring out, otherwise Converse low tops.
Old 03-19-13, 12:17 AM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Same clothes I walk around in or go to work in.
Old 03-19-13, 01:59 PM
babaluey
OlyCommuter

Bikes: Spot Ajax for commuting, Jamis Dakota Sport for dirt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In winter, smartwool jersey followed by a windbreaker type jacket. If it's really cold (<30) add an intermediate light fleece layer. Rain jacket only if it's really dumping. Below, cycling shorts under windstopper pants. Lake winter shoes. In summer, light poly tee, shorts, Keen sandals. I can't say enough good about the smartwool. If you're wearing poly tops, give it a try. Yeah, it's pricey, but I have two that I've been wearing for seven years now, about 9 months out of the year. they still look new. The stuff lasts, feels great and doesn't stink.
Old 03-19-13, 02:59 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do a bike/bus commute and I can ride as little as 6 miles or as much as 35. In the winter I tend to ride the short distant so I where my work clothes, jeans and t-shirt with the appropriate outerwear. When I ride farther I wear the full kit. Jeans and cotton t shirts are not comfortable at all pedaling for more than a few miles.
Old 03-19-13, 03:18 PM
anichka

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by babaluey
In winter, smartwool jersey followed by a windbreaker type jacket. If it's really cold (<30) add an intermediate light fleece layer. Rain jacket only if it's really dumping. Below, cycling shorts under windstopper pants. Lake winter shoes. In summer, light poly tee, shorts, Keen sandals. I can't say enough good about the smartwool. If you're wearing poly tops, give it a try. Yeah, it's pricey, but I have two that I've been wearing for seven years now, about 9 months out of the year. they still look new. The stuff lasts, feels great and doesn't stink.
Another Oly rider here! Did you get your SmartWool locally or online?
Old 03-19-13, 03:54 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Today it was cargo shorts, bike jersey and nylon sweat pants because it was a bit nippy this morning, gloves and tennis shoes. It was 9.3 miles. As far as I'm concerned, for a reasonable distance, non-hard core commute just about anything you feel like wearing works fine. ("reasonable" being up to around 45 minutes of riding).
Old 03-25-13, 05:44 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I'm a teacher so I don't have a shower at school, and I'm afraid if I wear my khakis they'll get a) sweaty, and b) chain grease. I'm not opposed to bringing along my work pants, and depending on the temp wearing my work shirt/tie.

I haven't actually commuted yet - just got a bike. It's 11 miles each way. I'm thinking maybe some windpants? for while it's still cool in the mornings, then when the TN summer hits I can just wear shorts, I figure. Still up in the air.
Old 03-26-13, 01:29 AM
Chesha Neko

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spending a fortune on merino.
Old 03-26-13, 02:09 AM
dbascent1986

Bikes: Thorn Raven Sport Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on merino - have done my 20 mile journey with M&S wool trousers, merino base, work shirt, gore wind stopper and merino gloves with no problems (temp range needs to be around 4 oC~12 oC) - also have a pair of Vulpine bike trousers which are excellent - my aim is to de-lycra the look where possible. Having to change to use the bike is not my ideal unless on a tour, but also admit I am mainly a fair weather bike commuter. The wind stopper can shed the arms so expect can be used up to 15 oC~16 oC and this will cover 70% of SE England typical morning/evening temperatures - although this winter may force a recalibration! I aim for around 150 miles per week on the commute, this winter more like 60 mile average, so the car is doing more mileage than I would like.
Old 03-26-13, 02:44 AM
Chesha Neko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The beauty of merino is its all-temperature application. Here in the desert, my concern is more towards temperature regulation in the summer, when it is 100 to 120F, though great for temperature regulation when layered in winter (however mild) too. Looking to increase my mileage by 50% per week by taking a longer route to work, while getting my average cadence up to 110, while losing that last 40 pounds. Good times.
Old 03-26-13, 08:15 AM
newridenewme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
today was so nice out i wore a skirt yes i am a girl lol. it was wonderful
Old 03-26-13, 08:38 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Regular work clothes plus a reflective bright yellow vest. Only five miles to work so I don't have to wash up too much. I take a 10 mile route back home to relax my mind after work.
Old 03-26-13, 09:18 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For my current commuting, a 4km (~15-18min ride) with morning temperatures 2-5C below freezing and afternoon temps 2-5C above, I'm wearing midweight gloves, midweight top with a polyester and light fleece coat (in a wind, I can feel it), winter tights (wind resistant, not wind proof), cycling shorts, light weight skull under the helmet with a helmet cover on it, knee length wool socks and cycling shoes. After the morning commute, I'm a comfortable temperature except my fingertips and toes which are cold, sometimes a bit sweaty under the skull cap. In the afternoon, especially if it's sunny, I'll open the jacket and also regret wearing the skull cap. I just received overboots yesterday but forgot about them this morning, I'll try them tomorrow morning. The helmet cover reduces wind over my head (some will get under the helmet) but I think I'll remove it and just go with the skull cap which, with the heat my head produces, should be sufficient. My skull cap is extra thick over my ears so they're fine (it's not this one but it's similar).
Old 03-26-13, 10:34 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Merino is great. Cashmere too. My wife was throwing out a moth-eaten cashmere sweater so I grabbed it, cut off the sleeves, and use it as a base layer on cold rides. Feels so nice, it's almost naughty.
Old 03-26-13, 11:52 AM
bent-not-broken
back in the saddle

Bikes: Raleigh Olympian, Trek 400, 500, 1500, 6700, Madone 6.9, Sekai 2400, Schwinn Passage, KOM, Super Letour, Nishiki Sport, Vision R45, Bike E, Volae Team

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
15 miles each way with a locker at work. At 20F I wore PI shorts, Bieme bibs with wind front panels, LS wool base, SS wool Jersy and Wind Breaker on top. I buy used or deep discount and none of the above was over $30. The wool is great as the wicking tops are just to 'funky' to wear home after work.

My extemities are always cold so I wore perfomance brand Lobser Mitts, a bavlaca, and wool socks with Shimano winter bike shoes
Old 03-26-13, 01:12 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Basic gear is bike shorts and a cotton tee but if is colder I use a Under Armour type base layer. If windy or rainy I wear a rain jacket that is a bit too big but it certainly works.

I have changes of clothes at work.
Old 03-26-13, 04:19 PM
Zorba
"The Veiled Male"

Bikes: Biria

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by newridenewme
today was so nice out i wore a skirt yes i am a girl lol. it was wonderful
They are indeed!
Old 03-26-13, 04:23 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
34F today.

ss jersey, softshell, spring/fall knickers, Oregon Research waterproof breathable earflap hat.
Old 03-27-13, 07:46 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesha Neko
Spending a fortune on merino.
This. I also have non-merino wool layers in varying thickness to be worn as the next layer in winter, depending on how cold it is. My top winter layer is windproof (NOT waterproof) shell.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines