Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best bike lock?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Best bike lock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 03:14 PM
bikerdad48

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best bike lock?

I know this has probably been covered but what are the best bike locks? I plan on commuting some this year and I need something to lock up my bike because we can no longer bring them inside. I don't live in a high crime area and my bike is not a 1000 dollar bike but I would like to keep it..thanks
Old 12-10-14, 03:50 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Do you have a place where you can leave the lock permanently or would you have to carry it with you on the bike each day? If it can be left then I'd opt for a heavy-duty chain/lock like the OnGuard 8020. Otherwise a smaller U-lock would be easier to carry around.
Old 12-10-14, 11:12 PM
Bikerdave222

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek 1, 1995 Mongoose Alta, 2002 Raleigh M80, 2014 Scott Metrix 40, 1999 Trek 820

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are some good choices
Robot Check

Robot Check

Robot Check
Old 12-10-14, 11:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
I like OnGuard locks. I use an older Pitbull and so far nobody has ever taken my bike. Though I currently work at a bike shop so I don't need to lock up as much.

Thieves will go after the weakest point of your locking system. You could have a ten pound padlock being locked to a cable and guess what they are just going to snip that cable (even those thick armored cables companies claim are secure).

A good 12-15mm chain with a solid lock that is equally as secure is your best bet for security.

Next would be a good solid hardened steel U-lock with a nice thick shackle, and locking cylinder. Make sure it cannot be cut on one side and removed and like with the old Kryptonite locks you cannot just put a BiC pen in to unlock. Also make sure you use as much of the shackle space as possible because you don't want to give thieves any prying room.

Cheap U-locks and chains are not really going to protect your bike except from the quickie opportunistic thieves who see an unlocked bike and take it or thieves with really poor or inappropriate tools. Cables are only a minor deterrent and are easily cut. Some people use them to lock up wheels to stop those opportunistic thieves from taking the wheels and also making it look like you took some time locking up your bike.

Your frame is the most important thing to have locked if you lock by just a wheel guess what I have a free bike that just needs a wheel. If you have QRs and you lock by frame and front wheel, I can have your rear wheel which is the most valuable because they generally cost more and contain your cassette/freewheel/cog and some people use internally geared hubs which can be quite expensive. If you are picking one wheel to lock up with your frame always make it the rear.

Speaking of wheels if you have QRs you can replace them with something like the OnGuard Minipins or other locking skewers such as Pitlock or Pinhead. If you go with a keyed version don't lose that key or you will have problems doing a flat fix (unless it is in the front and you have a Lefty fork) You can also take them with you or take your seat post (just make sure to some waterproof tape over the seat tube and regrease your post so it doesn't get stuck in the frame)

Keep your bike locked in a well lit area preferably near other bikes in the middle so it is less visible but never lock up outside of places like subway stations. If you have a constant crop of new people that are coming in and out that probably won't have seen you lock the bike or know which is yours or if you even have a bike probably won't care or notice if someone is stealing one. Also make sure you lock to a stable sturdy object that someone cannot lift the bike over or pull out the post and take the bike that way. Also be careful of locking it in the same place everyday because someone might think it abandoned.

If you can personalize your bike with stickers. If it looks like every other bike recovery will be harder and thieves will want it more because they can more easily sell it. Some have suggested putting your name on the frame in a few places and wrapping that with clear tape. Basically you want your whole security system to make the thief move on to the next bike.

One final note: anything left on the bike can be taken. Lights, bags, etc... are all things that someone might take. If it isn't nailed down it can be gone. There are a few more theft proof lights but they are low lumens for commuting or aren't in full production yet. Pitlock does have a system to lock up everything (wheels, fork, seatpost, brakes...) with a special key.

I know this is long but it should give you some good info to keep your bike safe. I don't know where you live or what the crime is like there but it never hurts to be extra secure.

There is a great Blackburn sticker that reads "Steal Cars not Bikes"
Old 12-11-14, 07:37 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have a ring lock installed on each of the two bikes I use around town. In the lower crime areas that's all I use, if I'm leaving it for hours, I will supplement that with a cable to a rack. In the higher crime areas, I will replace the cable with a U-Lock or Abus Bordo for additional safety. When I am traveling I will always use the Abus Bordo. In Chicago, I use all four.

Marc
Old 12-11-14, 10:43 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Read this: Smash Lab: Bike Locks Broken | Bicycling
Old 12-11-14, 10:57 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
The best bike lock is TWO bike locks.
Old 12-12-14, 10:44 AM
FietsDontFailMe

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerdad48
I don't live in a high crime area and my bike is not a 1000 dollar bike but I would like to keep it..thanks
Don't believe advertising claims: no commercially available bicycle lock will ensure that a bicycle won't be stolen.

If you're in a low-crime area and your bicycle isn't attractive, a simple u-lock will probably be deterrent enough.
Old 12-12-14, 02:22 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I just use a combination ulock from kryptonite:
https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Kry...bination+ulock

It's not onerously heavy, you can set the combination to anything - I just set all my combination locks to the same combination so I never forget what it is, another trick if you're not worried about people you know is to set it to the last 4 digits of you phone number.

Cables are way to easy to cut quickly and easily with the right tools, so I never use them except for my "never let it out of my sight" high end road bike. Like I'll bike to a restaurant and get a table where I can see my bike and lock it up with the cable - if the area is a good area as well.

There are also folding metal locks - they're not light, but they're an easier shape to carry than a ulock. Security is better than a cable, but worse than a ulock:
Amazon.com : OnGuard K9 Folding Lock : Chain Bike Locks : Sports & Outdoors
Old 12-12-14, 03:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FAQ: OnGuard I got one in this Type Armored Cables ? OnGuard Locks

I like Abus Better than Kryptonite.. I have a Chain and integrated lock . and a Bordo Folding link lock (easier to carry than a U lock.

their armored cable types are better than the OnGuard's

ABUS Bike Locks - Bike Safety and Security / Recreational Security

BUT Leaving any bike on the street overnight is asking for it being stripped while you are asleep.

Consider a Folding Bike , Folded You can bring it In, no doubt.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-12-14 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-12-14, 03:34 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Buy a quality U lock and a cable and leave it at work, that way you don't have to carry it back and forth. Buy a second for the times you need it when you are home etc.

I am partial to Kryptonite, since I have bought their products since the second generation of their U lock and they have served me well. Plus they have great customer service when you need an extra key etc.
[h=1][/h]
Old 12-12-14, 03:37 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for using 2 locks. I use 2 u-locks to lock my bike outside my apartment. I use one to lock the front wheel to the frame and the other to lock the rear wheel and frame to a post. Also you want to remove any lights, pumps bags that can be easily swiped. I had my Bianch grizzly stolen using a heavy duty chain lock, will never do that again.