Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Castelli: Absurd Sizing and Inconsistent Quality

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Castelli: Absurd Sizing and Inconsistent Quality

Old 10-01-17, 07:44 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have some Castelli; pieces made in Italy, Morocco, El Salvador. Good stuff; fits me very well. No complaints.
Old 10-02-17, 03:17 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I agree on the durability issue. In my experience (and I have fairly extensive experience), Castelli stuff is very fragile. I've had problems with cheap-o zippers, excessive pilling on fabrics, rips etc. This despite the fact that I wash my cycling stuff in mesh bags and haven't had issues with other brands.

However, I don't agree that Castelli's sizing is "ridiculous". It's a matter of personal preference. Castelli sells true race fit stuff. In my experience, the vast majority of cyclists in the US prefer to wear cycling stuff that's far from race fit. Some people like me prefer a true race fit, to me Castelli's sizing is just right. Most US brands bunch/flap/droop/chafe on me. Note that I'm not particularly skinny (5'10", 160), I just like cycling stuff that fits tightly.
Old 10-03-17, 08:06 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I have a crap ton of Castelli stuff and have for years. I’ve only had one piece that had a quality problem. In general, the stuff is pretty great from my perspective both in functionality and in longevity.

That said, their sizing is a mess. I get the EU/American issue for sure, and cycling gear in general seems to run small and so does Castelli. They have been getting better but they do have consistency in sizings issues from design to design. However, once you find a design that fits, there is a lot of consistency from piece to piece. So I just plan on a little experimentation up front until I find what I like and the proper fit.

J.
Same for me. But I usually wear PI bibs, I just can't seem to get it right with Castelli bibs.
Old 10-04-17, 05:53 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Yeah, I am done with Castelli bibs. I have a new pair of their bib shorts and maybe they are made for a seriously aero position...not sure. A pair of their winter big knickers are too tight in Large. I returned some jerseys too. I was good in other Castelli larges but the new one was too tight. I have to pay more but Rapha and Assos are it, and consistent. I do have a Giordana winter bib tight I use and I like it so may try more.
Old 10-04-17, 06:51 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I have some Castelli; pieces made in Italy, Morocco, El Salvador. Good stuff; fits me very well. No complaints.
Same here. 5'8" (173cm) 160 pounds (72.6Kg) I wear a size Medium in my Moroccan made Castelli bib shorts and a Large in my Chinese made jersey and also a Large in my El Salvador jersey.

Then my winter jersey from Macau is a size XL.

News Flash! Italian cycling clothes follow their own sizing rules.

Has been like that since forever.

In other news, man bites dog.
Old 10-05-17, 08:05 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
Same here. 5'8" (173cm) 160 pounds (72.6Kg) I wear a size Medium in my Moroccan made Castelli bib shorts and a Large in my Chinese made jersey and also a Large in my El Salvador jersey.

Then my winter jersey from Macau is a size XL.

News Flash! Italian cycling clothes follow their own sizing rules.

Has been like that since forever.

In other news, man bites dog.
Well, what can I say? Their stuff fits me as if it were custom made. I'm a medium; and I like that their stuff tends towards the snugger side of medium. Works for me.

If I do have one gripe, though, it is that I wish the Italians would use better zippers!
Old 10-05-17, 05:08 PM
imbloke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have quite a number of Castellis, from jersey to bibs and jackets.

I'd sizing for the bibs are quite consistent across their range. I own Volo, Free Aero Race and Premio bibs. All fits the same, except the Premio is slightly longer in the hips.

Jersey wise, don't be deceived by the Castelli sizing chart. The fit depends on the type of jersey- whether its regular or aero/climber/gabba/Perfetto range.

For regular jerseys, I'm on S which is spot-on with the sizing chart.

For aero/climber/gabba/Perfetto, I'm on M. Even on M, I do feel a little more snug compared to when I'm on S for regular jerseys. So definitely size up if you're buying any jerseys from these range.

Btw, I'm 170cm, 67kg.
Old 10-06-17, 10:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7335 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,420 Posts
Well, I learned a lot from this thread. I got a Castelli jacket last year, and I thought it was crazy expensive, even on sale, and now I see that some of these companies are on the cutting edge. It pays to be knowledgeable in this stuff.

Are there Castelli bib tights I should consider? I got a pair of Nashbar bib tights, which I think I like, after a few days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-17, 04:43 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to say their jersey sizing is funky but the quality has been good. I only buy their jerseys in a store as a result. I purchased a Gore jersey a few months ago and that will be my go to jersey brand from now on. Their Xenon line is the best jersey I have owned.
Old 10-08-17, 02:38 PM
tedder987

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have had 2 pairs of Castelli shorts, both XL (One Endurance V2 bib, not sure of the other model but a bit cheaper). For the endurance v2 they were always a bit too tight around my junk and after about 9 months a seam let go on the chamois edge and another was fraying where the bib strap attached so they got pitched. On the Second pair, the lycra lost its rebound and now I will probably toss them before I have a wardrobe malfunction since they feel so loose.

TL;DR; Poor quality, inconsistent sizing, won't buy again
Old 10-08-17, 04:04 PM
imbloke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I currently have 3 active pairs of Castelli bibs.

1) Volo (mid range) - I use this for everyday rides.

2) Free Aero (top range) - For long rides (>80 miles). The difference between this and Volo is the cloth material around your hips, the back part of the straps (which is made of more stretchy materials) and it uses the Progetto X2 chamois which Castelli claims to offer more comfort. Same materials for the leg grippers.

3) Premio (premium range) - I use this for hard or long rides. I felt like I'm wearing a compression pants with this bib. Yes it's slightly tighter and I find the bib is about 1cm longer for me compared to 1) and 2). It uses the Progetto X2 chamois and very stretchy and more premium feel straps.

Having used both chamois extensively, I personally don't feel any significant difference between them. The straps however, makes quite a difference. They felt more snug around my shoulders.

If I'm in the market for another pair of bib shorts, Free Aero would be my pick. Last I remember, Wiggle was selling it for around $90+ but it has since been sold out.
Old 10-08-17, 05:02 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by imbloke
I have quite a number of Castellis, from jersey to bibs and jackets.

I'd sizing for the bibs are quite consistent across their range. I own Volo, Free Aero Race and Premio bibs. All fits the same, except the Premio is slightly longer in the hips.

Jersey wise, don't be deceived by the Castelli sizing chart. The fit depends on the type of jersey- whether its regular or aero/climber/gabba/Perfetto range.

For regular jerseys, I'm on S which is spot-on with the sizing chart.

For aero/climber/gabba/Perfetto, I'm on M. Even on M, I do feel a little more snug compared to when I'm on S for regular jerseys. So definitely size up if you're buying any jerseys from these range.

Btw, I'm 170cm, 67kg.
This is what doesnt make sense at all. The base fit should be dictated by labeled size. The specific fit dictated by range.

A "small" person should wear a small aero jersey and small regular jersey. With the aero fitting skin-tight and regular fitting moderately-tight.
Old 10-08-17, 05:14 PM
chip1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
This is what doesnt make sense at all. The base fit should be dictated by labeled size. The specific fit dictated by range.

A "small" person should wear a small aero jersey and small regular jersey. With the aero fitting skin-tight and regular fitting moderately-tight.
Agreed. Unless they have a separate size chart for the specific line, the measurements listed on the chart should be accurate. It baffles me how some clothing companies do not get this right. It defeats the whole purpose of size chart.

FWIW, I never had a problem with Castelli. I don't have their aero specific gear unless you count Rosso Corsa, but I never found the sizing inconsistent. Fits tighter than other brands yes, but I still wear the same size for all brands.
Old 10-08-17, 05:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I am the OP and I stick by my original premise.

3XL for a 5'8" 190 lb guy is an absurdity.

Nanoflex bib knickers don't come any larger than 3XL so bigger guys have to shop elsewhere. Maybe Castelli doesn't care to sell to larger guys but it seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot.

None of that matters as much to me as the difference in quality as shown in the photos in the first post. The change in materials and quality really sticks in my craw. Caveat emptor.

-Tim-
Old 10-09-17, 07:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
I agree. That apparent difference in quality of two similarly branded items is really annoying. I don't worry too much about sizing but there may be something to the rumor that some brands don't want fat folks as customers. On the other hand, it's easy to forget how pudgy we Americans are compared to the rest of the world.
Old 10-09-17, 10:05 AM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have a pair of Castelli tights, size large.

They fit so tight in the thighs that marks from the seams show for an hour after taking them off.

6', 162 lbs, & my guads are decidedly un-massive. The average euro roadie should easily have thighs bigger than mine...
Old 10-09-17, 06:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Maybe it's not too hard to understand Castelli sizing really. Take their bibs for example. They have 6 sizes. S, M, L, XL, 2XL, and 3XL.

Translate by finding nearest neighbor to another brand on a proportionate scale... though please don't quote me Aerotech which goes from XS to 6XL :-)

Here's Assos sizing, how does Castelli compare for their 6 sizes matched up if you put them side by side? FYI, Assos only uses height, since it's assumed waist sizes are directly calculable from height and would be unnecessary data.
XS 150-159 cm
S 159-169 cm
M 169-179 cm
L 179-185 cm
XL 185-190 cm
XLG 190-195 cm
Old 10-09-17, 06:41 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Castelli seems to be slightly more snug than Assos so probably a size up.
Old 10-09-17, 07:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Castelli seems to be slightly more snug than Assos so probably a size up.
So by size up, do you mean relatively or nominally? Ie. the 4th from smallest size in Castelli is an XL. The 4th from smallest in Assos is a L. Is an Assos L the same as Castelli XL, or are you saying 2XL ?
Old 10-09-17, 07:34 PM
Chandne

In my experience, the large Assos jerseys feel more like the XL Castellis. So I would just go up to the next size in Castelli. However, I have tried on a Castelli jersey that was fine in large (hence my comment on inconsistency). Also, large Assos bib shorts and tights are close to the XL Castellis.
Old 10-09-17, 11:21 PM
imbloke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little off topic from Castelli. But here's my experience on Rapha.

I'm a S for their regular jerseys, but when it comes to Pro Team range (which is more snug), I'm a M. Having said that, the M on Pro Team feels even more snug than S on regular jerseys.

170cm, 67kg.
Old 10-10-17, 06:29 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Castelli is not "slightly more snug" but absurdly tight.

I own Assos, 7Mesh, Rapha and Castelli bibs and take an XL in all but the Castelli.

Castelli requires 3XL and is still tighter than all the rest.

-Tim-
Old 10-10-17, 07:50 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Italian culture is ruled by the concept of La Bella Figura; and this can lead to an uncompromising attitude to many things, such as the way that clothes should fit. I suppose Italians figure that if you are buying cycling clothes, you should bloody well look like a cyclist--or, at least, an idealized representation thereof. I don't think there is much room in Italy for an appreciation of such things as American Cut in their aesthetic.

Live up to the ideal.
Old 10-10-17, 09:05 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Scarbo
Italian culture is ruled by the concept of La Bella Figura; and this can lead to an uncompromising attitude to many things, such as the way that clothes should fit. I suppose Italians figure that if you are buying cycling clothes, you should bloody well look like a cyclist--or, at least, an idealized representation thereof. I don't think there is much room in Italy for an appreciation of such things as American Cut in their aesthetic.

Live up to the ideal.

Mario Cipollini could not fit in Castelli Nanoflex bib knickers.
Old 10-10-17, 11:37 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Mario Cipollini could not fit in Castelli Nanoflex bib knickers.
?

Why do you say that? Mario Cipollini is 6'2" tall and when he raced his weight was listed between 168-174 pounds--not a porker by any means. He is retired now, of course, so who knows.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.