Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Expensive Commuter bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why Expensive Commuter bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 07:37 PM
BikeTall

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My reply was more tongue in cheek. I used the smilie in reference towards "the antipathy expressed to seemingly healthy drivers with handicapped parking placards."

Not to be critical, but you seem possessive of your solution, and quick to challenge any retort, even on a give-and-take Internet Forum.
Well, to be fair... it is near impossible to discern tone or if one is being tongue in cheek on a forum post. Especially when posters don’t specifically indicate they are being tongue in cheek. Wouldn’t you agree? I don’t think my response under the circumstances was out of line. Nor did i attack you personally. I merely stated 3 reasons why i thought my solution wasn’t offensive to handicapped people. I could also say that you were quick to challenge my retort. Lol. Seriously. I am not upset. No worries. It’s all good. Honestly.
Old 08-25-19, 07:39 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Well I no longer commute beause I just retired, but I rode my $4k Carbon gravel bike to work. I commuted 32 mi RT on crushed/ limestone/geavel/pave road, and I could park my bike in my office (and had a shower at work - sweet I know!!). It was a pleasure each day. I wouldn't have rode such an expensive bike if I couldn't have secured it.
Old 08-25-19, 08:19 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeTall
Well, to be fair... it is near impossible to discern tone or if one is being tongue in cheek on a forum post. Especially when posters don’t specifically indicate they are being tongue in cheek. Wouldn’t you agree? I don’t think my response under the circumstances was out of line. Nor did i attack you personally. I merely stated 3 reasons why i thought my solution wasn’t offensive to handicapped people. I could also say that you were quick to challenge my retort. Lol. Seriously. I am not upset. No worries. It’s all good. Honestly.
See my addendum, written before reading this post, since you are quick to admonish.

Any further discussion will have to wait until tomorrow.

Incidentally, regarding the initial post,
…I kid you not. It works! Better than any lock i ever bought. Of course there are no guarantees, but give it a try. Couldn’t hurt.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
This sounds like a tenuous solution. Besides if too many cycle commuters latch on to it, the thieves will catch on, and may become even more active, similar to the antipathy expressed to seemingly healthy drivers with handicapped parking placards.
First of all, i doubt if this solution will catch on as wildly as you think....
= tongue in cheek

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-25-19 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added "Incidentally regarding...
Old 08-26-19, 10:12 AM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Money is for spending, not hoarding and life is short.
Old 08-26-19, 11:29 AM
NVBrandi

Bikes: Rans V Velocity Squared

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sfh
Depends on the commute, right?

I have a well-employed friend who commutes 18 miles through the NW Boston suburbs each way every day. 36 miles a day is plenty and a nice bike is a lot cheaper than a crappy car. That commute calls for a different bike than someone commuting 12 city-blocks to a downtown office building.

OTOH, my wife worked in Leiden for a year and commuted (like almost everyone else) on a bike that was about $89.

And . . . who cares if the manufacturers call something a "commuter". Everyone should still buy the bike(s) they'll ride.
Just my opinion, I think it's great some people want to Commute to work on a Bike. That Said, Not sure I'd want to walk in to a Important Meeting looking like I just "rolled" out of Bed, Helmet Hair, Hot and Sticky? (or worse Smelly) but that's just Me. Then IF your Bike IS Stolen You get to walk home, but I guess that could happen even if you drive your car. Peddle on!
Old 08-26-19, 12:08 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
4 pages to the OP's one and only post.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 08-26-19, 12:29 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by gammy13
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).

I live in NYC and have Cannondale Quick that I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me. But I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting. To me, an ideal commuter bikes is discrete (drab colors, not flashy, etc.), capable - but without the expense of high-end/name brand components, and most of all - relatively cheap! Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.

Anyone have thoughts? Who's buying these things?
Since there's a pretty good chance your riding this bike daily, why not get something you really enjoy. I get enjoyment on my $250 used Cannondale SR500 and I have a bike locker. I'd put it in a secure location if non were available. If it doubles as your touring bike you could say your commuter only cost half price.😁
Likes For Cycle Tourist:
Old 08-26-19, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
4 pages to the OP's one and only post.
And no activity since the minute after starting this thread.

Doesn't take much with this crowd.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-26-19, 12:54 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of use cases for expensive commuter bikes ($1000+).

I live in NYC and have Cannondale Quick that I paid $750 for and that was a bit of a stretch for me. But I see these manufacturers selling $1500-$2000 bikes for commuting. To me, an ideal commuter bikes is discrete (drab colors, not flashy, etc.), capable - but without the expense of high-end/name brand components, and most of all - relatively cheap! Because there's a good chance it would get stolen.

I'm in Boston, and commute to work much of the time...18 tp 20 mile round trip.
And I used the same bike I use for everything else: a custom built Independent Fabrication bike I bought in 2007 for $3800....which seemed outrageous to me. But I've rode it constantly for 12 years, and it's going to be good for a lot more, so it now seems totally reasonable (yeah, I have to replace parts once in a while). And I am able to, at the school I teach at, to bring it into my office. If I had to park it on the street I would consider bringing another bike, but luckily, I can put somewhere safely.
Old 08-26-19, 01:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
https://offthebackistan.tumblr.com/p...mong-some-bike
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-26-19, 02:41 PM
Tourod

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Commute on quality ride: park indoors

I commute 20 mi/day on my Surly Disc Trucker—the same bike I use for international touring—then just park it in my office. Given the thousand$ I save annually on gasoline and a fitness club membership, I don't bat an eye at the cost of quality components or rain gear needed. People often pay extra to promote sustainable transportation and a clean environment anyway. I hear folks bemoaning increasing traffic all the time. Why not get fit and save money by commuting by bike all year long?
Likes For Tourod:
Old 08-26-19, 02:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Getting your bike stolen is almost a sure thing in some places, but not everywhere. Bike theft is pretty bad in NYC. If you lock up in the same place every day where a large number of people pass every day, it's just a matter of time. That's one reason Citi Bike is so successful. People gave up replacing their bikes.

A good bike is more than a luxury, though, if you have a place to keep it inside. It performs more efficiently and reliably with less frequent repairs, compared with cheap bikes. And I don't call your Cannondale a cheap bike.

On the other hand, I see a lot of old English 3-speeds locked up in my neighborhood in Manhattan. It seems to be a big shared secret that these bikes are durable and reliable, yet the thieves leave them alone. And it's not because the bikes have low market value. Prices for them are pretty high in this area.

Didn't NYC pass a law that says workplaces have to provide secure bike parking? I'm not clear, so I might remember this wrong. Ask your employer for some space. You might just get it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-19, 02:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by NVBrandi
Just my opinion, I think it's great some people want to Commute to work on a Bike. That Said, Not sure I'd want to walk in to a Important Meeting looking like I just "rolled" out of Bed, Helmet Hair, Hot and Sticky? (or worse Smelly) but that's just Me. Then IF your Bike IS Stolen You get to walk home, but I guess that could happen even if you drive your car. Peddle on!
You can get control of helmet hair etc, and at the same time, wearing bike commuting gear has become common here in NYC. People walk around carrying or wearing helmets, and no one bats an eye. At my most recent job, I had a private office. If I arrived looking sweaty, I would get into the office, take my clothes off, and wash my body with a bottle of witch hazel. That's a mild astringent which doesn't dry the skin. It stopped my sweating right away. I would put on a fresh set of clothes. I didn't look at all like a bike commuter.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-26-19, 03:54 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Baffled as to why this wasn't closed down before it got past the first page.
Old 08-26-19, 04:13 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I bike to work now, takes about 30 minutes! I get somewhat sweaty (basically my face). I wear my work clothing. When I get to the office, I grab a cup of water. Then wash my face, reapply deodorant, and I am ready for the day. Helmet hair takes a minute or so to resolve, for my haircut and texture. This adds about 10 minutes to the morning.

It isn't super hot here which helps. My office is pretty casual, but I am dressed up for my office. I might be more casual with my shoe choice. I wear a skirt or dress about 80% of the time.
Old 08-26-19, 05:03 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
Money is for spending, not hoarding and life is short.
on that note, if a person isn't buying tools, or gold... he might as well blow that worthless printed paper on a bicycle or bicycles!!!!
Old 08-26-19, 09:34 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Nice perk. Are they hiring?
They are recruiting. It's a submarine.
Old 08-27-19, 09:30 AM
Spinay70

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

My guess is people that want those particular bikes and they have a budget for it.

Same thing goes for people who buy private jets, islands...

Spinay70
Old 08-27-19, 09:53 AM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
My thoughts are if I am going to commute and park it outside then I should not have too expensive of a bike. Expensive bikes seem to attract attention of thieves also a more expensive bike would not make my commute faster.
Old 08-27-19, 11:33 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Some of have showers. And even those of us who don't manage to find a way to be presentable. Takes a bit of organization and planning, but it isn't the Apollo Project.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-27-19, 11:43 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
No one is doing that. Most of the time you'll never know someone commutes by bike. I suggest you educate yourself via https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/
Likes For autonomy:
Old 08-27-19, 11:50 AM
indyfabz

As others have noted, it's an opinion based on faulty assumptions.

I keep clothes, shoes a brush, a synthetic towel and deodorant in my office. I have been locking up bikes here in the big city for some 35 years. Only place I have had a bike stolen is from side my house, while I was home and awake. The likelihood that someone would steal my bike from outside my NJ office are extremely slim and none. Even if it were to happen I could get a ride to the train. And people don't bat an eye when I walk into work in cycling clothes. I had some surgery back in July that kept me off the bike until recently. People in my NJ office were surprised that I wasn't riding to work. When I work in Philly my commute is less than 2 miles. On bad weather days I will walk or ride the bus to and from work. Rode into town yesterday behind a woman in a nice dress. Many people in the big city don't have really long commutes and don't wear cycling clothing. I rode to work today in a bear of khaki shorts and a synthetic t-shirt. Put on some long khakis and a polo short that were here in my office. Five minutes after walking through the door you could not look at me and tell that I had ridden my bike to work.
Old 08-27-19, 11:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts

You do realize that some people don’t live in NYC, right?

Some people don’t have to worry much about their bike being stolen. I’ve never had a commute where theft of the bike was a real concern.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-27-19, 12:08 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz

~ $1300 after selling the original wheelset.

This is about 4 years ago. And the photo doesn't count the panniers and handlebar bag that I already had. My daily commuter. Theft is a non-concern in my work situation, so why not enjoy a comfortable and trouble-free ride to work?

It now sports a Gyes GS-17A laced trimmed skirt leather saddle and Schwalbe Marathon Plus 35 tires. Plus a forward light mount above the mudguard. It's a rugged beast.
Is that frame a size too small or the reach a bit too short? Cause that nose up angle is making my taint hurt just looking at that. I've seen a tad above level before for people with solid amounts of stack height, but not that much.
Old 08-27-19, 02:31 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You do realize that some people don’t live in NYC, right?

Some people don’t have to worry much about their bike being stolen. I’ve never had a commute where theft of the bike was a real concern.
I live in Philly and work during normal business hours and don't have a concern about bike theft. Kryptonite around the front wheel and frame. Thick cable secures the back wheel. Hundreds of people walk by my bike every couple of minutes. Not worried about someone showering the busy sidewalk with sparks from a grinder. Plus, there is a c-store next to my office that is popular with bike cops. I have been locking up my bike for decades with no problems, and I've seen the same bikes locked up outside office building for years. One was a really nice looking Salsa Fargo.

The one thing you do need to worry about is theft from the bike. Left my slide off saddle bag on one morning. It was gone at the end of the day. These days I keep it in my messenger bag so I don't have to bother removing it and putting it back on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.