Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Automotive Bike Rack for Sun EZ-1

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 04:31 PM
chauncy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. First time posting but long time reader. So here is my question. I just purchased a older barely used Sun EZ-1 Lite LWB recumbent and I was wondering what is the best affordable bike rack you use to transport your recumbent. I had to remove the front wheel to fit it into the back of my Forester to get it home. I was lucky that I had an assistant to help load it but I couldn't do this on my own as I am getting over back surgery and also have neck issues. So I'm looking for something easy to load that doesn't require lifting the whole bike. Thanks.
Old 09-24-18, 02:05 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure you're going to find anything that doesn't require lifting the bike that will work with your Subaru.
If you had a cargo van/pickup truck you get get the Easy Load Ramp system:
https://www.industrialbicycles.com/e...mp-system.aspx

Otherwise, If your Subie has a hitch receiver, you should check out the Hollywood Sport Rider Recumbent Rack.
I don't have one, but it has good user feedback. You should avoid the trunk-mount style racks
as your EZ-1 has most of it's weight concentrated on the rear of the bike with the 26" wheel and the seat assembly.
(Meaning you don't want your EZ-1 listing and possibly falling off your vehicle on the freeway.)

If your Subie does not have a hitch receiver, U-haul does a good job installing them.

https://hollywoodracks.com/products/...nt=15862466438

Last edited by trestlehed; 09-26-18 at 03:00 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-24-18, 05:45 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I haven't come across a regular bike rack that doesn't require lifting the bike because the wheels have to be a good distance off the ground to keep the bike safe. A hitch rack would be better but the good ones that lower down to put the bike in place still require a fair amount of effort to lock the rack in place after it is loaded.

Don't worry about losing the bike off a hitch mounted rack. They come with tie downs and you can always supplement them with a cut up bike tube.

I used to carry my Linear LWB on a standard Rhode Gear 3 bike rack. It will work on any car with a hatchback. It's no longer available new but easy to find used. It doesn't solve the problem of having someone lift the bike onto the rack. If you tie it down it will not list to one side.
Old 09-27-18, 10:50 AM
chauncy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you guys for the info.
Old 06-15-19, 05:55 PM
PhilWinIL

Bikes: '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix, a Sun EZ-1 Recumbent (90's vintage), Sun Sport recumbent 2020, 6KUBikes kit bike converted to e-bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
It took me some trial and error on finding a good bike rack for the EZ-1 I have. I came across the best deal at etrailer.com. It is hard to find a rack that will not take some effort to get the bike on, but this one is one of teh easiest in my opinion. Here is a pict of it on back of the Smart car.
This is the Swagman XTC2. It is the best bike rack I have had over the years. It was purchased at: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...an/S64650.html
Likes For PhilWinIL: