Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

I'm going to bike tour Japan! (Kyushu)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

I'm going to bike tour Japan! (Kyushu)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 09:57 AM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
I did it!
And it was awesome.
Beautiful country.
Friendly people.
Challenging language.
Difficult hilly rides.
Looks like a great ride - what were your favorite parts in addition to Kunisaki? Sorry to hijack your thread with my recommendations but I guess folks will find it via Kyushu search to get some ideas...
Old 05-24-19, 11:18 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by riceowls
Looks like a great ride - what were your favorite parts in addition to Kunisaki? Sorry to hijack your thread with my recommendations but I guess folks will find it via Kyushu search to get some ideas...
I really liked the "epic" quiet backroad routes I rode. Some of these involved difficult climbing. Like route 8 between Taketa and Takachiho. Very pretty with interesting man made features at intervals. And I even saw a Tanuki on the tiny little road into the mountains paralleling route 72 on the way to Sakurajima. Another hard climb.

Last edited by dgodave; 05-24-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 03:56 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I just wanted to say congratulations, that looks amazing.

I'm heading for Shikoku in October of this year (got an amazing deal on airfares considering the timing). Your post makes me realise I need to plan another trip to do Kyushu one day.

That is all.
Old 05-26-19, 08:56 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
I just wanted to say congratulations, that looks amazing.

I'm heading for Shikoku in October of this year (got an amazing deal on airfares considering the timing). Your post makes me realise I need to plan another trip to do Kyushu one day.
Thanks. It really was amazing.

Shikoku was actually my first choice of destinations, but for various logistic reasons Kyushu worked better. I hope you post about your tour. I'd like to return to Japan to ride Shikoku someday.
Old 02-07-24, 04:31 PM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Old thread I know but it sounds like you did the same tour that I’m planning in October/November. And I’m planning to take my Brompton as well.

Any part of your route that you would not recommend? Perhaps too hilly or boring? I’m planning to camp with the odd night at a ryokan. Did you notice a lot of campgrounds?
Old 02-09-24, 05:10 PM
Pearson100

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Sounds like a great trip!

Be sure to read up on the gift culture in Japan!
https://www.nihongomaster.com/blog/t...-what-to-give/
Old 02-11-24, 07:00 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
No intention to promote anything, but if you search waddo on you tube I have many cycling touring videos all of Japan as I live here. Cold give some ideas for great destinations.
Old 02-11-24, 07:39 PM
Oldbill
Touring Rocks

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Insurance

Don't forget to make sure you have 3rd party liability (sometimes called personal liability) insurance for riding your own bike in Japan. It is legally required in most areas. You probably won't be checked for it but if you get in an accident there will be trouble without it.
As Japan is very compensation oriented the emphasis is on the damage you do to other persons property or health.
One claim for damages (to an injured pedestrian) for a bad crash with a bicycle was awarded $850,000 USD in a Japanese court.
​When I last checked local third liability insurance in Japan can only be purchased by Japanese residents, so plan ahead.
Sometimes your home insurance policy will cover third party liability anywhere in the world, but check it carefully and carry photocopied documents of your policy. Usually the policy will not specifically mention bicycles but exclude "motorized" vehicles so I don't know about ebikes.
Rental bikes in Japan appear to be covered under the renters blanket policy.