Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Help fitting to a bike that's too big.

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 07-26-19, 09:04 AM
runnergoneridin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm convinced that my bike is too big of a frame, and didn't realize this since I got it used when I was brand new to road cycling. I've always feel like I have too much of my upper body weight resting forward.
  • Well, over time I've moved the seat all the way forward, which seemed to help some. I still slide forward some while riding, and have to move my butt back on the saddle again and again over time (I can't stay put in the saddle. And if I tilt the seat upward to keep from sliding forward, it's uncomfortable)
  • My inseam is 31-5/8", and I'm 5'8.5" tall.
  • The bike has a 23.5" frame, which is tall. I have no standover clearance to speak of (especially with shoes off). My bars are adjusted all the way up (all the shim spacers are under the bars).
Can I just get a stem that brings everything back a good bit? Or even get a non-offsetting stem of some kind?
Old 07-26-19, 09:43 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Sell the bike, and buy one that fits.
Trying to "fix" a bike that's the wrong size is a waste of time, $$$ and effort .

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-26-19, 01:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Road bike? You actually can wind up with too much weight on your arms by sitting upright in the more relaxed position that some want to use for riding a road bike (I was one of those too at one time). Actually getting lower can let the stretching of your lower back muscles and other parts along with the compressing of your gut and abdomen reduce the force going into your arms.

However it does seem that your bike might be way to big. 23.5 inch seat tube length is 59 to 60 cm which is what I ride with a 34.5 inch inseam and 5'-11" tall. Lowering the bars might actually help some if you absolutely have to stay with that bike.
Old 07-26-19, 04:10 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Sell the bike and get one that fits you perfectly, now that you know what to look for. There are tons of bikes available, don't settle for one that doesn't fit right.
Old 07-26-19, 04:20 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
All sound advice. And it’ll be a lotta fun testing more appropriately sized bikes.
Old 07-26-19, 04:32 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
You can't really "fix" a bigger bike. I'd rather it be a smaller size than too big. Sorry to tell you but you have to get rid of that and get a better fitting bike.
Old 07-27-19, 10:22 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Having owned a bike that was too big and a bike that was too small, I think both diminish the joy of riding. I actually found riding the too big bike better than riding the too small one, because I prefer stretching out to being cramped - but I cringed too much at the thought of coming down on the bar the wrong way.

Get a bike that fits.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Although it may not make sense intuitively, try out moving the saddle back to stop sliding forward.
2) Too much weight on your hands can very easily come from bad technique and/or a weak core. (No need to ask how I found that out....)

Last edited by philbob57; 07-27-19 at 11:36 AM.