Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value of Campagnolo Triomphe groupset?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-20, 01:59 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Value of Campagnolo Triomphe groupset?

About how much would the average value of a friction-shifting Campagnolo Triomphe groupset in good condition be? The groupset is ona frame that's a bit too big for me as reaching down to the downtube shifter is a bit of a stretch. I have another frame (Tange Infinity) that I'm considering putting this groupset on but do wonder what the groupset is worth.

Thanks and cheers
Old 01-22-20, 03:19 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
About how much would the average value of a friction-shifting Campagnolo Triomphe groupset in good condition be? The groupset is ona frame that's a bit too big for me as reaching down to the downtube shifter is a bit of a stretch. I have another frame (Tange Infinity) that I'm considering putting this groupset on but do wonder what the groupset is worth.

Thanks and cheers
It's a nice functional group, but it doesn't get much respect. I'd say $100 if you can find a buyer.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-22-20, 03:21 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It's a nice functional group, but it doesn't get much respect. I'd say $100 if you can find a buyer.
Is that including the gum rubber brake hoods and the hubs?

Thanks and cheers
Old 01-22-20, 03:33 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Is that including the gum rubber brake hoods and the hubs?

Thanks and cheers
I was thinking of the derailleurs, shifters, crank and BB for $100.

Typically I sell the brakes and levers together, but separate from the mini-group. I also sell the wheelset separately if it's servicable.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-22-20, 04:25 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I’m at a higher value but it’s easy to look up completed auctions that sold on eBay. Do not expect eBay prices on local sales or here either. In pristine shape, seatpost is worth estimated above, ditto pedals. Is it worth much to me? No. I prefer the Japanese components from that era.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-25-20 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 05:19 PM
Miele Man

Thanks people.

Everything in the groupset is in good to great condition. SO if I were to sell this the best way would to be to sell the shifters and derailleurs together, the bottom bracket and crankset together, the brake calioers and brake levers together and the hubs separately and the seatpost separately?

I'm really thinking about putting that groupset onto my vintage Miele Tange Infinity frameset. It was painted back around 2001 in (from the headtube to the rear of the bike) green, white and red so would be an ideal colour scheme for an Italian groupset.

Here's an image of the frameset with another groupset on it that has since been removed.

Cheers
Old 01-22-20, 05:21 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Those cranks will take a 35t chain ring, if you can find one. I'll probably build up a Schwinn tempo with my mostly Triomphe and other random Campagnolo collected group.
Old 01-22-20, 05:44 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Those cranks will take a 35t chain ring, if you can find one. I'll probably build up a Schwinn tempo with my mostly Triomphe and other random Campagnolo collected group.
The crank in the image above is a Veloce 9-speed triple not a Triomphe. I don't think you can get a 35 teeth ring onto a Triomphe crank. Can you?

Cheers
Old 01-22-20, 06:11 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Check this out:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ctory-run.html
Old 01-23-20, 06:36 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
35t is the smallest on a 116bcd spider, according to Sheldon.
There's a shop about 20 miles from me that sells a lot of really old stuff. I'll bicycle up there sometime and see if they have a 35 teeth ring that'll fit. I can use when I get older and need a lower gear. Thank you very much for letting me know that rings smaller than 42 teeth are possible.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 01-23-20, 06:56 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Do both frames have the same bottom bracket threading? That Tange frame likely has English threading what is your bottom bracket?

Thanks.

I love the look of the Victory/Triomphe cranks, it is just too bad they didn't come in 172.5
I know the Tange Infinity frame is English threading as I had a Veloce cartridge bottom bracket in it at one time. I'll have to look at the cups on the slightly too big frame that the Triomphe groupset is living on now. It's a FIORI VINENZIA if I made out the damaged label correctly. I looked at the cup but can't make out the lettering due to the location of the bike and the fact that the left crankarm is pretty close to the adjustable cup. Using the Mark 1 Eyeball, the bottom bracket shell looks to be smaller than the Italian bottom bracket on my other bike.

What I'd really like to do is get a Bianchi Celeste colour frame and fork for this groupset. That'd be something like a grail bike then.

Btw, I do have a Bianchi T-shirt. I do like my red Bianchi.

Cheers
Old 01-23-20, 07:16 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 301 Posts
Here’s a comp for you. I sold the shifty bits here on BF in September.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ift-group.html
Old 01-23-20, 07:30 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I find it very hard to get excited about Triomphe and Victory. The Japanese groups from the same era and level perform much better. Based on what a complete Triomphe bicycle would sell for, I wouldn't pay over $250 CDN for a complete group in good condition.
Old 01-23-20, 07:37 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
If there is even a chance you might regret it, don't sell. So unless you need the funds to finance another bike purchase or something, I wouldn't. I think it is a relatively attractive groupset, the cranks are a favorite of mine and if the functionality is there, what's not to like?
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 01-25-20, 06:29 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,118 Times in 1,962 Posts
Triomphe/Victory will be pretty useful on 80s frames. I think you'd regret selling it. I think they'd look great on the Miele. Find a 35 for the front, polish the group and impress the crowds.
Old 01-25-20, 06:10 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Triomphe/Victory will be pretty useful on 80s frames. I think you'd regret selling it. I think they'd look great on the Miele. Find a 35 for the front, polish the group and impress the crowds.
I'm going to be keeping it. I just wish I could get some clincher rims so that I could do a direct swap with the tubular rims. I think it'll look good on the Miele. I have a buffing wheel and buffing compounds to polish everything up nicely.

I already cleaned up the seat post a bit. I had to do that in order to get it a bit further into the frame. Kind of surprising that a dirty seat post would not slip into the seat tube further but simply cleaning the seat post and applying some light oil and it slid in easily.

Cheers