Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Interesting Front Brake

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Interesting Front Brake

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 12:39 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting Front Brake

Saw this NJS vivalo up on local CL that uses what the poster calls a front coaster brake. Never seen this setup before. Kind of interesting. I would never use something like this, but I give him props for originality I guess. When posting expires, thread is dead.

https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/2103071784.html
Old 12-09-10, 12:40 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
that's just a front drum brake.
Old 12-09-10, 12:42 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh...i'm not familiar with drum brakes. i ride bicycles...
Old 12-09-10, 12:50 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
torker graduate 5speed has em.

they're actually pretty old school on bikes. lots of english driveshaft era cycles had em. 'coaster' is a type of drum brake.
Old 12-09-10, 12:58 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
oh...i'm not familiar with drum brakes. i ride bicycles...
You just haven't been riding long enough... drum brakes have been fitted to bicycle for the last 100 or so years and continue to be fitted to many models to this day... the XFD drum brake is a new Sun Race / Sturmey Archer model.

They do not have the same stopping power as a rim or disc brake but work consistently well in really challenging conditions.
Old 12-09-10, 01:03 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Yep, just a drum brake. They're rather uncommon, but I've been seeing them lately on Trek Sohos. Apparently they're good for a commuter because they're unaffected by weather (much like a disc brake.) I'm not sure why the bike in the CL ad has one. It seems way out of place.

Actually, now I'm curious. Since disc brakes are on bikes now, why do they still make drums? What do drums have over discs?
Old 12-09-10, 01:06 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't disc brakes work well in challenging conditions, too? you'll have to excuse my ignorance as i don't ride anything other than road bikes. What's the advantage of a drum brake to a disc brake (other than you can apparently power lights w/ these hubs)? Also, wouldn't these make it a pain to take the wheel off in case of a tire change? And I can imagine they are heavy as hell

Either way, seems like an odd choice for a track bike, but i guess it's better than drilling the fork or uglifying it with an unsightly appendage (clamp on brake)

EDIT: was typing this up as Jake asked some of the same questions...
Old 12-09-10, 01:12 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
mud can still get on a disc. a drum is basically sealed to most contaminants, and rain and whatnot. a disc is way better than a rim, but a drum is basically inside the hub.

the disc is by far the best in terms of power and all that, but newer drums get you all the working and don't afraid of anything
Old 12-09-10, 01:15 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

A lot of people think my bike has a drum brake in the rear but it is really a generator and three speed hub... this one dates to 1964 but these too have been made for much longer than this.

Drum brakes don't generate power.

Why are they still used ?

Drum brakes are less affected by weather than a disc brake and usually get fitted to city bikes and roadster type bicycles that are not ridden at the same speeds... fast stops usually require that both brakes are engaged and drum brakes were also used on tandems as a rear drag brake to regulate speed on descents.

Look at a lot of Dutch roadsters and you will see that most are fitted with drum brakes.
Old 12-09-10, 10:12 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
1975 Schwinn Speedster retrofitted with SA rear 3-speed IGH + drum brake, SA front drum brake hub. Excellent performance in wet conditions and much better power than stock sidepull caliper brakes on smooth chrome plated steel rims. In wet weather with the caliper brakes I might as well have been riding brakeless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0450.jpg (99.6 KB, 26 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-09-10, 10:28 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts

Love drum brakes. The 90mm drum from Sturmey Archer stops better than the 70mm version. Not lightweight hubs...
Old 12-09-10, 11:17 AM
lz4005
coasterbrakelockup

Bikes: surly steamroller w/coaster brake, electra single speed cruiser, specialized rockhopper commuter, no-name single speed folder, 700c ultimate wheel, 24" unicycle, specialized bmx lsd, single seat single speed huffy tandem, pink upsidedown parade bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Asking why anyone would use a drum brake is like asking why anyone wouldn't want a bunch of gears on their bike.
If you have to ask the question you probably won't be satisfied with the answer.
Old 12-09-10, 11:18 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I think I would be concerned using a drum brake on a fork not designed for one.
Old 12-09-10, 11:28 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal
I think I would be concerned using a drum brake on a fork not designed for one.
I don't believe drum brake hubs are fork specific other than braze-ons for a cable.
Old 12-09-10, 11:44 AM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Drums can be mounted to a fork without a disc tab, so there's that. They're heavy, but (as mentioned in earlier posts) high on utility and generally less expensive than discs.
Old 12-09-10, 11:47 AM
lz4005
coasterbrakelockup

Bikes: surly steamroller w/coaster brake, electra single speed cruiser, specialized rockhopper commuter, no-name single speed folder, 700c ultimate wheel, 24" unicycle, specialized bmx lsd, single seat single speed huffy tandem, pink upsidedown parade bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a brake reaction arm that attaches to the fork, much like the reaction arm that attaches to the stay on a coaster brake rear hub. I probably wouldn't use one on a carbon fork, but anything made of steel or aluminum shouldn't have a problem.
Old 12-09-10, 12:14 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
It is my understanding that most NJS frames are built with forks that use a more round tube and less oval. This shape would weaken the fork for the stresses that are generated by the braking at the hub and not at the rim. Although I could be wrong.
Old 12-09-10, 12:31 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
It is my understanding that most NJS frames are built with forks that use a more round tube and less oval. This shape would weaken the fork for the stresses that are generated by the braking at the hub and not at the rim. Although I could be wrong.
Wrong. All types of brakes ultimately result in a maximum bending moment at the top of the fork legs where they are joined to the fork crown. The magnitude of this bending moment is determined by the actual braking force that is generated at the ground, regardless of the type of braking system. Round track fork legs have much lower bending capacity (bending section modulus) than oval road fork legs.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 12-09-10, 12:36 PM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short Version: I don't think a drum brake would cause the same flex as a drum brake

Long Version: i was thinking the same thing, as road bikes have ovalized fork blades to help with the forces from braking. However, road bikes generally do their braking with a caliper. I'm not sure if this is completely correct, but consider looking at a wheel from the side, spinning clockwise. applying the caliper brake at the top is almost like adding a new point of rotation, and momentum will cause clockwise rotation about the brake. this has the effect of pushing the axle/hub towards the back of the bike.

because the drum brake has braking forces in the center of the rim, there shouldn't be any backwards flex, so a round blade tube would make no difference. It also works well for avoiding drilling your fork (but it's heavy as hell)

EDIT: derp, any braking force would cause flex in the blades and would benefit from an ovalized fork. slowing is like pulling back on the fork.
Old 12-09-10, 12:59 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Wrong. All types of brakes ultimately result in a maximum bending moment at the top of the fork legs where they are joined to the fork crown. The magnitude of this bending moment is determined by the actual braking force that is generated at the ground, regardless of the type of braking system. Round track fork legs have much lower bending capacity (bending section modulus) than oval road fork legs.
Round tubes are best at dealing with a wider variety of stresses and forks are stressed in every way imaginable and in combination with each other... they are subjected to bending, compression. and torsional loads stemming from their need to support, suspend, and deal with braking loads.

Oval tubes are designed to resist more specific stresses... we apply this to our frames in order to maximize certain ride qualities and meet performance goals.

The beam on our tandems is a specially drawn oval tube, and over sized as to provide vertical load support but to also provide greater resistance to torsional loads as tandems are subject to much higher loads than a single bike.

Chain stays are partly oval because they need to offer clearance for the wheel and cranks and this does make them stiffer in the vertical plane (where they are oval) but they get drawn into round tubes which meet the dropout and have extra support from the seat stay which is typically round tubing.

And then we have these fancy new bikes with long flat tubes on the frame and fork which are there primarily for advertising space.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 12-09-10 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-09-10, 01:05 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Wow, now that's a combo you don't see everyday
Old 12-09-10, 01:09 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone have any idea what these campy reproduction track cranks are that the poster mentions? Campy hasn't done a reissue, have they? I assume they are probably the IRD Defiants or something.
Old 12-09-10, 02:56 PM
jdmitch
Non-Spandex Commuter

Bikes: Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lz4005
Asking why anyone would use a drum brake is like asking why anyone wouldn't want a bunch of gears on their bike.
If you have to ask the question you probably won't be satisfied with the answer.
Yup... I so wantto build up a S/A drum brake bike...
You don't need to dress up like a spandex super hero to ride your bike.
Old 12-09-10, 03:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Yep, just a drum brake. They're rather uncommon, but I've been seeing them lately on Trek Sohos. Apparently they're good for a commuter because they're unaffected by weather (much like a disc brake.) I'm not sure why the bike in the CL ad has one. It seems way out of place.
You don't have to drill your sacred NJS fork crown when you use a hub brake.
Old 12-09-10, 03:43 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Drum brakes don't generate power.
The new Sturmey-Archer Dynohubs come in a drum brake/generator configuration: https://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.