Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bus to Bike Camping near Seattle

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-18, 10:43 AM
rbtbrutherford 

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New-ish to the area and bike camping. Looking to plan a couple of one or two-night trips in early fall and want to get as far from Seattle as I reasonably can. Trick is, I don't have a car, so I'm hoping that any of you with good resources for combining bus or ferry trips to get closer to good bike camping routes/spots will help a fella out with tips and/or tricks.
Old 07-23-18, 10:56 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
It might help if you mentioned the direction you are heading.

Consider warmshowers. Seattle and that corridor is ENORMOUS. Not sure how how far you would need to travel . The San Juan's might be the closest option.
Old 07-23-18, 11:04 AM
rbtbrutherford 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@spinnaker - direction is negotiable. The San Juans are definitely on my list. I believe there's likely good stuff not too far east of here, up Stevens Pass or further?
Old 07-23-18, 11:05 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 96 Posts
Seattle now has a weekend bus service for hikers, etc, that goes up into the Cascades. Dunno if those buses have racks, though.

The Mukilteo ferry to Whidbey is probably the best way to get away from Seattle into the islands. There are good places to camp throughout Whidbey, and you can either head north to Deception Pass or take another ferry to the peninsula.

Old 07-23-18, 11:10 AM
rbtbrutherford 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks @Aubergine I'll check out those options.
Old 07-23-18, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Check out Adventure Cycling Association's Pacific Coast route. I started two long tours from Seattle back in the day. Took one of the ferries to one of the islands and spent the first night at Kitsap State Park, eventually heading north to the Deception Pass area before heading east. Fort Worden State Park in Port Townsend is really nice. I remember there being hiker/biker sites.
Old 07-24-18, 05:19 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
When I lived there in the 80s, I cycled the San Juans as often as I could. It's probably more crowded now. There's also nice cycling on the Olympic Peninsula, with loops to be made with ferries. Mt Vernon and the Skagit Valley are nice, too, So's the Green River valley and Kent. And fall can be a nice time of year.
Old 07-24-18, 10:02 AM
rbtbrutherford 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Check out Adventure Cycling Association's Pacific Coast route. I started two long tours from Seattle back in the day. Took one of the ferries to one of the islands and spent the first night at Kitsap State Park, eventually heading north to the Deception Pass area before heading east. Fort Worden State Park in Port Townsend is really nice. I remember there being hiker/biker sites.
Fantastic. ACA is clearly a great resource, hadn't been to that site yet. One trip that's taking shape now is taking a bus from Seattle up to Mt. Vernon, riding over to Anacortes, and heading to the islands via ferry from there. Seems like a good three-day, two night trip. Thanks for the hip tips.
Old 07-24-18, 12:39 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
I do a lot of touring around Seattle. If you want to go East of Seattle, there is plenty of spots to camp (unofficial but totally fine imo) along the John Wayne trail. Also tons of potential camping on San Juans (particularly Lopez Island) and the Olympics as others have mentioned. I love the 60ish mile ride to Port Townsend and camping at Fort Worden.
Old 07-24-18, 12:50 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
In addition to the bus, I'd suggest checking out the Amtrak Cascades line. I've gotten off at Tukwilla in the past, so suspect it isn't only big stations.

I lived in Portland ~3 years and during that time each year I cycled at least Vancouver to Eugene, but in segments. E.g. one weekend riding Vancouver to Seattle, another riding Seattle to Portland and a third Portland to Eugene. I rode a lot of smaller segments too - particularly Portland/Salem/Eugene since it was convenient...

I did some longer one-way segments like Portland/Tri-Cities. In those cases I rented a car on the return, but Amtrak Seattle to Spokane should also work as part of a tour.

Last edited by mev; 07-24-18 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 04:24 PM
DeepSpace

Bikes: Fat Chance, Caonondale, Tommasini, Fezzari, Elsworth, and Intense

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many trips to be done on Olympic Peninsula. Just get the bus schedule for Clallam Transit. Bus #14 will get you safely around lake Crescent. I rode the lake for years but don't anymore. Traffic is un real. I go out there every weekend. Miles to ride on Forest Service roads.
Old 08-03-18, 01:40 PM
rbtbrutherford 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
In addition to the bus, I'd suggest checking out the Amtrak Cascades line. I've gotten off at Tukwilla in the past, so suspect it isn't only big stations.

I lived in Portland ~3 years and during that time each year I cycled at least Vancouver to Eugene, but in segments. E.g. one weekend riding Vancouver to Seattle, another riding Seattle to Portland and a third Portland to Eugene. I rode a lot of smaller segments too - particularly Portland/Salem/Eugene since it was convenient...

I did some longer one-way segments like Portland/Tri-Cities. In those cases I rented a car on the return, but Amtrak Seattle to Spokane should also work as part of a tour.
Yeah, that's a great tip!. I'm planning on using the Amtrak Cascades to get up to Mt. Vernon, ride over to Anacortes to take the ferry to the San Juans in October.
Old 08-03-18, 10:59 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Seattle now has a weekend bus service for hikers, etc, that goes up into the Cascades. Dunno if those buses have racks, though.

It does yes,
https://www.wta.org/news/signpost/tr...unced-for-2018
It also stops very near the,
gigantic bicycle festival,
https://www.giganticbicyclefestival.org/

I like the bus to Marblemount, easy transfer from Sedro Wolley, where I get a hiking permit at the ranger station.

Clallam transits 123 straight shot https://www.clallamtransit.com/Portal...t_20180128.pdf
will get you to Port Angeles
Have you seen the Olympic Discovery trail yet?
https://olympicdiscoverytrail.org/

Go to the central library, on the 5th floor they have county bike maps, not just King county, or the DMV at city hall. Lots of long distance bike trails.

Have you pedaled around lake Quinalt? Jefferson transit will get you there from Forks.

Victoria and Vancouver have trails.

Dude, get a mt bike.

Last edited by chrisx; 08-03-18 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-04-18, 05:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I don't have a huge amount of experience with the Seattle area, but did fly in to there for one tour. I used the Bremmerton Ferry to get out of Seattle. It seemed like a nice enough option for my trip down the Pacific coast. I don't recall details, but I think there were lots of regional buses and Amtrak service in the general region when I was looking into it. Pick where you want to tour and I bet you can find a bus or train.

Also I have had good luck getting a rental car when other transportation was tough to find. For one way rentals I have found the trick is to book online. Also it sometimes helps to go airport to airport. Contacting or walking up to rental desks has almost always resulted in refusals or large one way fees, while booking online has always been easy and painless.
Old 08-05-18, 12:41 PM
indiana_jane

Bikes: Trek Domane AL2, Pedego Stretch

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of summers ago, I took two days to bike from Olympia, WA (Evergreen State campus, to be precise), through Tacoma, over Vashon Island and then took the ferry to West Seattle. It was a lovely trip -- though coming in via South Tacoma was a little dicey in places and I could have routed that better. Best part was coming over Vashon Island, which has manageable hills and a single, easily rideable road going North/South, with a little town to stop in for lunch.