Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tyre key. has anyone tried it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 11:06 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

Back in the olden days getting tires on and off was easy peasy, but modern tires are a freaking pain in the ass. this thing looks pretty cool, has anyone tried it?

https://www.tyrekey.com/product/tyre-key/
Old 12-13-18, 04:39 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Kool Stop tire bead jack. Costs only ten bucks or so. Got one for convenience early in 2018 because my Schwalbe One and Conti Ultra Sport 2 tires were so difficult to install, especially on the road with cold hands. I pinched a tube the first time I tried to install the Ultra Sport 2 using a plastic tire lever. Got the Kool Stop bead jack, never looked back.

After my shoulder was broken and dislocated in May it was an absolute necessity. Now I carry it on almost every ride, including casual group rides in case someone else has a flat. Some folks chop off a bit of the handle. I haven't. I just shove it in a jersey pocket or my jeans pocket.

Unfortunately there isn't a tutorial video that does justice to how simple, quick and easy it is to use. It only needs a 30 second demo. But RJ the Bike Guy's video is okay.

BTW, there is a wrong way to use it and I've done that a few times when I wasn't paying attention. Doesn't hurt anything, it just doesn't work well when flipped the wrong way. Flipped the right way it's fast and easy.

Old 12-13-18, 05:09 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Great post! I'm getting one of these.
Old 12-13-18, 08:29 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Kool Stop tire bead jack. Costs only ten bucks or so. Got one for convenience early in 2018 because my Schwalbe One and Conti Ultra Sport 2 tires were so difficult to install, especially on the road with cold hands. I pinched a tube the first time I tried to install the Ultra Sport 2 using a plastic tire lever. Got the Kool Stop bead jack, never looked back.

After my shoulder was broken and dislocated in May it was an absolute necessity. Now I carry it on almost every ride, including casual group rides in case someone else has a flat. Some folks chop off a bit of the handle. I haven't. I just shove it in a jersey pocket or my jeans pocket.

Unfortunately there isn't a tutorial video that does justice to how simple, quick and easy it is to use. It only needs a 30 second demo. But RJ the Bike Guy's video is okay.

BTW, there is a wrong way to use it and I've done that a few times when I wasn't paying attention. Doesn't hurt anything, it just doesn't work well when flipped the wrong way. Flipped the right way it's fast and easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZRSz1DlHg

That's super cool
Old 12-13-18, 08:33 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I too second the Cool-Stop. To the OPs point, they are essentially the same thing but the direction of leverage is different, the Tyre Key should work just about as well.

I've got tubeless ready rims and tires and still have tubes in them, The first flat I had I about wrecked my fingers getting the tire back on, the beads are very tight on tubeless. The Cool Stop works like a champ.
Old 12-13-18, 08:43 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Not expensive so certain worth trying out. I've used a VAR tire jack for decades when I encounter a difficult mount. Works great as well.
Old 12-13-18, 08:48 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Looks like a more compact alternative to the Kool Stop tire bead jack. I might try this.
Old 12-13-18, 08:55 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Some folks chop off a bit of the handle.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZRSz1DlHg
Yeah I carry one too. I removed most of the handle up to the line below so it fits a jersey pocket case. I've used it 3-4 times on the road already this year alone (my unlucky flat year).

Old 12-13-18, 09:27 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've never needed anything more than a quik stik tool.
Old 12-13-18, 12:25 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
Yeah I carry one too. I removed most of the handle up to the line below so it fits a jersey pocket case. I've used it 3-4 times on the road already this year alone (my unlucky flat year).

Good work around. Otherwise too big to carry around. The tyre key looks like it would be a reasonable size.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-13-18, 12:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Now we need a tool that makes dismounting tubeless tires as easy as that makes it to mount them.

Edit: I carry the VAR tire jack when I am not carrying a lot of extra storage---does the same job.
Old 12-13-18, 01:50 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
My current tires are just too damn tight to mount without the Kool Stop Tire Jack - which works amazingly well. But, it's big - better suited for work in the shop (garage). The Tyre Key looks like the jersey pocket version. I'm going to grab one.

Thanks dougphoto!
Old 12-13-18, 02:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
Back in the olden days getting tires on and off was easy peasy, but modern tires are a freaking pain in the ass. this thing looks pretty cool, has anyone tried it?

https://www.tyrekey.com/product/tyre-key/
Interesting device.

I may have to try one. I'm generally OK with mounting and removing tires, but had some hassles a few weeks ago with trying to mount a tubeless tire with a tube (punctured both my spare tubes). I need more practice!!!
Old 12-13-18, 03:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Modern fat tires are still easy to put on by hand, it's the 100psi narrow ones that fit tight, and I feel more secure they do, at those pressures..
Old 12-14-18, 08:51 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Looks good. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-14-18, 09:01 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EZRSz1DlHg
I have been using one of these since 2010. In fact, I brought it to the shop one day to help mount tight tires. And ended up selling 2 of my own to customers! Handy at home. Usually after a few rides, the new tire will loosen up a bit so it won't be so tight to mount road side. "Usually"
Old 12-14-18, 10:02 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I've seen the TyreKey before...I just wonder, if like a Bead Jack, some rims don't approve of its use.
Old 12-14-18, 10:07 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
If the center of your rim bed is lower than the edges, stop and give yourself a high-five because you don't need a tire lever.
Old 12-14-18, 03:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Super Champion 58 were a winner for that reason..
Old 12-14-18, 04:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
If the center of your rim bed is lower than the edges, stop and give yourself a high-five because you don't need a tire lever.
I can attest that putting tubes into tubeless tires on a narrow road rim can be tough.

Perhaps I need more practice and experimenting such as changing from valve first to valve last. But, the tire doesn't drop down into the grove as easily as one might hope.
Old 12-14-18, 04:34 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Some tires and wheels are just impossible to mount no hands, even with immaculate technique. A classic example are Fulcrum/Campagnolo 2-way-fit wheels (have a bead channel and don't even need tape), and Hutchinson tubeless tires.
Old 12-14-18, 07:08 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Perhaps I need more practice and experimenting such as changing from valve first to valve last.
Yes, this is essential.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
But, the tire doesn't drop down into the grove as easily as one might hope.
No, you need to use gravity and force to push the bead into the groove and create slack.
Old 12-14-18, 07:25 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Some tires and wheels are just impossible to mount no hands, even with immaculate technique.
Barring damage to the tire or wheel, or something being horribly out of spec, I disagree.

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
A classic example are Fulcrum/Campagnolo 2-way-fit wheels (have a bead channel and don't even need tape), and Hutchinson tubeless tires.
I don't know about that specific tire, but I have mounted a few TL tires on TL rims tool-free and have yet to face a problem.

I happen have a set of 2-way Fulcrum R3s and have easily mounted by hand a variety of Continental, Vittoria, and Schwalbe tires on them over the years.
Old 12-15-18, 10:03 AM
arizonamed

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Barring damage to the tire or wheel, or something being horribly out of spec, I disagree.

I don't know about that specific tire, but I have mounted a few TL tires on TL rims tool-free and have yet to face a problem.

I happen have a set of 2-way Fulcrum R3s and have easily mounted by hand a variety of Continental, Vittoria, and Schwalbe tires on them over the years.
You are the superior being, congratulations.
Old 12-15-18, 10:25 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Originally Posted by arizonamed
You are the superior being, congratulations.
Thanks!