Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Got a Laugh From This Today . . .

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 07:43 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts

My work took me to Forest Hills in Queens, New York today, where all of the streets I encountered looked like nightmares for cyclists. I didn't see a single bike lane there (it turns out they basically don't have any), but they do have this:

I guess they're so proud they gave up a little real estate for a bike rack that they wanted to flaunt it? Or maybe it's because they were worried that otherwise people wouldn't know what those weird metal rings bolted into the sidewalk are for?
Likes For Headpost:
Old 05-28-19, 11:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Headpost
My work took me to Forest Hills in Queens, New York today, where all of the streets I encountered looked like nightmares for cyclists. I didn't see a single bike lane there (it turns out they basically don't have any), but they do have this:

I guess they're so proud they gave up a little real estate for a bike rack that they wanted to flaunt it? Or maybe it's because they were worried that otherwise people wouldn't know what those weird metal rings bolted into the sidewalk are for?
You obviously have missed one of the delightful experiences of urban biking, which is looking up and down the block for somewhere to lock up your bike, struggling with a road sign trying not to scratch the bike, then coming upon bike racks after you walk away from your locked up bike. Bike racks are generally low enough that they can't be seen from more than about half a block away. I could see that sign from a lot further away, and I'd appreciate it if there were more of them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-28-19, 11:20 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Is that storm grate in front of the SUV really one of the bicycle death traps? This is 2017 for crying out load. The city has had 50 years to get that corrected. (I was cycling the streets of the equally old city up the road then. Boston.)

Ben
Old 05-29-19, 04:23 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I thought the LOL was for the chained up huffy up front.
Old 05-29-19, 06:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
baby steps
Old 05-29-19, 06:40 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is that storm grate in front of the SUV really one of the bicycle death traps? This is 2017 for crying out load. The city has had 50 years to get that corrected. (I was cycling the streets of the equally old city up the road then. Boston.)

Ben
Good eye. A true urban cyclist.

BTW: What's with the rusty, pedalless front chain ring with the rusty chain hanging off it right there in front?
Old 05-29-19, 07:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts

Ben
Can't tell for sure due to the lack of focus on it in the picture, but the storm grate may have sufficient cross hatch bars at 90ş from the longitudinal bars making the grate safe enough for cyclists who ride next to the curb.
Old 05-29-19, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Ben
Worse than that, it's actually 2019.

Gawd, I forgot about those grates. I actually had a wheel sink into one decades ago, but fortunately was not going fast enough to completely flip the bike. The sudden stop still hurt, though.
Old 05-29-19, 08:22 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
BTW: What's with the rusty, pedalless front chain ring with the rusty chain hanging off it right there in front?
I wondered the same thing. I think it's a bicycle that is flipped upside down--probably locked to the rack with a loose cable lock. If you look to the left of the chain ring, you'll see the wheelless fork sticking up.
Old 05-29-19, 08:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by MMACH 5
I wondered the same thing. I think it's a bicycle that is flipped upside down--probably locked to the rack with a loose cable lock. If you look to the left of the chain ring, you'll see the wheelless fork sticking up.
Nailed it. Another example of the joys of urban bicycle racks.
Old 05-29-19, 06:59 PM
Headpost

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You obviously have missed one of the delightful experiences of urban biking, which is looking up and down the block for somewhere to lock up your bike, struggling with a road sign trying not to scratch the bike, then coming upon bike racks after you walk away from your locked up bike. Bike racks are generally low enough that they can't be seen from more than about half a block away. I could see that sign from a lot further away, and I'd appreciate it if there were more of them.
Yes, and the rain protection--for the lucky bike owners who get a place under the glass--is nice too. Just thought it was funny in such an otherwise-bike-unfriendly place.

Here is a detail of the uncropped photo, for those who were wondering:

Here is an article I found about them, from 2013.

https://qns.com/story/2013/07/14/dot...-forest-hills/

And I didn't notice the gratings. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were deadly to bicycles. Really seemed like the kind of place where people would honk at you for riding in the street.
Old 05-30-19, 05:02 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yes, and the rain protection--for the lucky bike owners who get a place under the glass--is nice too. Just thought it was funny in such an otherwise-bike-unfriendly place.

Here is a detail of the uncropped photo, for those who were wondering:

Oh man... BIKE DOWN... dead bike!!!

Gonna take me all day to get that picture outta my mind.
Old 05-30-19, 07:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were deadly to bicycles. Really seemed like the kind of place where people would honk at you for riding in the street.
Streets without bike lanes? Oh the horror, what is a cyclist to do in such a nightmare?

Seems like a lot of guesswork and speculation about what might/or might not be true about cycling in a place a poster "encountered." That, and derision for the city for providing a covered bicycle parking area for those cyclists daring enough to ride on a street without bike lanes.

Perfect stuff for the A&S list.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 05-30-19, 07:47 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
My work took me to Forest Hills in Queens, New York today, where all of the streets I encountered looked like nightmares for cyclists. I didn't see a single bike lane there (it turns out they basically don't have any)....
My work took me? Did you actually *RIDE* in your "nightmare?"

BTW, a few blocks away.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-30-19, 07:52 AM
mr_bill

Ben
No.

-mr. bill
Old 05-30-19, 09:26 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Nailed it. Another example of the joys of urban bicycle racks.
There are many urban bicycle racks with abandoned and intact nice bicycles that have slowly rusting chains. Other than the abandoned bike takes up a parking space, usually a great sign that you can lock up your bike nearby with less worry. (Often wonder why they were abandoned though.)

After a time DPW will remove the bike and eventually it will find its way to places like Bikes not Bombs.

(BTW, another thing I've also wondered. With the "pride" that some Amsterdamers take in riding while drunk, how many "stolen" Dutch bikes are the result of parking while drunk and simply forgetting where they left their bike?)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-30-19, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by mr_bill
There are many urban bicycle racks with abandoned and intact nice bicycles that have slowly rusting chains. Other than the abandoned bike takes up a parking space, usually a great sign that you can lock up your bike nearby with less worry. (Often wonder why they were abandoned though.)

After a time DPW will remove the bike and eventually it will find its way to places like Bikes not Bombs.

(BTW, another thing I've also wondered. With the "pride" that some Amsterdamers take in riding while drunk, how many "stolen" Dutch bikes are the result of parking while drunk and simply forgetting where they left their bike?)

-mr. bill
The other racks with tons of abandoned bikes are ones on campuses, especially near dorms. Visiting my son at UMass Amherst, I was amused by how many had a confiscation warning attached to them for well over a month.
Old 05-30-19, 08:07 PM
Headpost

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Streets without bike lanes? Oh the horror, what is a cyclist to do in such a nightmare?

Seems like a lot of guesswork and speculation about what might/or might not be true about cycling in a place a poster "encountered." That, and derision for the city for providing a covered bicycle parking area for those cyclists daring enough to ride on a street without bike lanes.

Perfect stuff for the A&S list.
No, I didn't ride that day. I ride as much as I can, but I had my reasons; I took the subway, sheesh.

And sorry, but now that Manhattan and Brooklyn have bike lanes--some much better than others--I've really come to detest places where there isn't even a skinny little shoulder for cyclists. I'm just so sick of nearly getting run over every five minutes.

The A&S list?

My work took me? Did you actually *RIDE* in your "nightmare?"

BTW, a few blocks away.

-mr. bill
Here is Google Maps with the bike lane overlay of the area. I stand by my statement that they basically don't have any.

Meanies.
Old 05-30-19, 08:23 PM
mr_bill

Here is Google Maps with the bike lane overlay of the area. I stand by my statement that they basically don't have any.

What an amazing crop. The MAJOR bike lane that you’ve cropped out would take you to the 59th Street Bridge.

Feelin’ Groovy.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 05-30-19, 08:36 PM
Headpost

What an amazing crop. The MAJOR bike lane that you’ve cropped out would take you to the 59th Street Bridge.

Feelin’ Groovy.

-mr. bill
Yes, it is a MAJOR bike lane, and I do appreciate it, I've ridden on it many times, but it ends right at FOREST HILLS, WHICH IS THE PLACE I WAS TALKING ABOUT!

Good fun if you're just trolling me. Otherwise . . .
Old 05-30-19, 09:02 PM
mr_bill

The subway ends in Jamaica, Queens. Horrors! What is your point?

BTW, while YOU wouldn't ride your bike to the Forest Hills station, it looks like she might.

I don't think she laughs at the bike parking. But what do I know.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-31-19 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-30-19, 10:16 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

No, I didn't ride that day. I ride as much as I can, but I had my reasons; I took the subway, sheesh.

And sorry, but now that Manhattan and Brooklyn have bike lanes--some much better than others--I've really come to detest places where there isn't even a skinny little shoulder for cyclists. I'm just so sick of nearly getting run over every five minutes.

The A&S list?
The A&S List is the Advocacy & Safety list, ya know, the place where you posted your lol guesswork and speculation about what might/or might not be true about cycling in a location you "encountered" without bike lanes. How you transported yourself to this "nightmare" location is immaterial.
Old 05-31-19, 09:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Meanies.
How dare we not be amused by your ridicule of a small infrastructure amenity because they haven't blanketed the area with bike lanes!

I ride in urban areas that don't have bike lanes all the time. They're pretty much the rule, not the exception. Honestly, I don't find bike lanes to be safer than most street lanes, and less safe when they've been crammed into a narrow street as an afterthought.
Old 05-31-19, 11:56 AM
mr_bill

But this barrel storage facility is "funny."

-mr. bill
Old 05-31-19, 12:41 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Obviously, those barrels are just there to protect the bikes. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.