Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Opinions Please..Frame Size Too Large ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-09, 05:54 PM
Mike LaPrade
Mikey

Location: I live in the western part of Maryland,Allegany County

Bikes: 2008 Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,I am looking for opinions on whether I may have the wrong size frame.I am 5 feet 7 inches tall with an inseam of 32 inches ( without shoes of course ).I have a TREK 7200 ( Hybrid ) with a 20 inch frame.I have adjusted the bike several times myself,and thinking I was doing something incorrectly,I had my LBS fit me also.According to the guidelines of the LBS,the bike should be set up properly.However,I still get numbness in my hands( after adding Ergon grips ),and what I can best decribe as numbness in my groin area after a ride of only 3 miles or so.I can't help but feel the bike is too large for me after all the adjusting and I'm still not comfortable.I do not have much in the way of leg pain however,it's just the other discomforts that are bothersome.Any input is appreciated,thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-09, 06:41 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
A few pictures would help. Your inseam (32") is probably similar to that of somebody about 6'1". Is your seat post raised up a considerable amount from the top of the seat tube? Do you lean forward & downward to reach the bars? If it is a reach problem, maybe you could look into North Road handlebars that "sweep back" towards you (just a suggestion). As an example, the style is what you see on old 3-speed "English Racers". They are very comfortable, and probably come in a lightweight alloy. If your handlebar stem reaches forward a considerable amount, you might try one with a shorter reach (or different design). In regard to the other issue, the saddle's shape, size and construction may possibly not be the best one for you and that bike. You might look at a couple of other options if it is a problem. Without having seen the bike and rider ... just bouncing around some ideas.
Old 08-05-09, 06:43 PM
starla
my nose itches

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2013 Redline Conquest Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can only speak for myself, but it sounds large. I'm 5'8" with about the same inseam, ride a 17.5" Trek Valencia. But I'm also female, which may make a difference.
Old 08-05-09, 06:55 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
Most bikes come with crap saddles. If you can, take a pic of you on the bike from the side. The leg we see should be down as far as it can go.

Sounds like the frame is big and you are leaning over a lot. Have you tried a shorter stem with more rise?
Old 08-05-09, 07:04 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, I'm 6'1 with a 19.5 frame. I have the a 32 inseam but the frame is fit more to the reach than the leg length since that can be easily adjusted with a seatpost. If the toptube is too long, it's much tougher to adjust, even with a stem.
Old 08-05-09, 07:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Your inseam (32") is probably similar to that of somebody about 6'1".
Maybe, maybe not. "Inseam" means different things to different people. Bicycle inseam is a different measurement than pants inseam.
Old 08-06-09, 05:24 PM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Maybe, maybe not. "Inseam" means different things to different people. Bicycle inseam is a different measurement than pants inseam.
Maybe I measured my inseam wrong, but I'm 5'10.5" with a 34" inseam, my LBS was really convinced i needed a 21" MTB frame. At the time i had a 17" frame which felt way too small even with a setback seatpost and a long stem. I wanted a 19" frame but they convinced me.

I had some reach issues, numbness etc... so I got a seatpost with absolutely 0 setback and scooted my saddle forward until my knee was aligned with the pedal or however my fit guide said to do it (this was 2 years ago) I also got a Stem that was very short but had about 2" rise on it. so it lifted the bars up a little but not forward much at all. that combined with ergo grips made the bike pretty comfortable on long rides. it's sorta big and spread out like a relaxed road bike. so on trails it works but it throws me around a little bit.

So it works but in retrospect I think i'd fit a 19" MTB for offroad and a 21" MTB for road, or more logically a 21" road bike.
Old 08-07-09, 08:16 PM
andmalc

Bikes: Wabi Classic fixed, Raleigh Sojourn, Xootr Swift folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The numbness can be caused by the seat being too far forward. See Sheldon Brown's frame fit article here:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Generally, it is not recommended to move the seat forward or back to adjust for reach. Seat forward or back position is to adjust for upper leg length. Stem or handlebar length is what adjusts for reach/torso length.

Since you're already using a short stem, you could move your seat back but get a handlebar with a short reach. Many 'ergo' bars are like this.
Old 08-08-09, 02:36 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I ride a 19" Kona Explosif and a 15" Bianchi. Both fit.

I am 5'6" short and 30" inseam.

There isa lot more to Bike fit than measure the Inseam and that frame will fit- Better measurement to go by is the top tube length but even that can be adjusted with a change of bar stem

Butt- Numbness- You don't say how many miles/hours you have done on the bike but it does take a while for a compatibility between a saddle and a butt to develop. Sometimes it doesn't and that may be down to a cheap stock saddle never suiting anyone.

Hands going numb is normally down to too much pressure being placed with them on the bars- For most- raising the bars- bringing the bars back- or a combination will work. For me it was the opposite- longer lower reach and all I had to get were gloves with padding in the right spot. Another tip is to get bar ends to give a different position for the hands.

Give a bit of time for the body to adjust- and get the bar ends fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bianchi2.jpg (41.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
Kona.jpg (55.9 KB, 10 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 08-08-09, 03:02 PM
BLACK BIKE
Just ride it.

Bikes: S&M Black Bike, FIT 3.5s, KHS Solo One (destroyed in roof rack incident), Bianchi Pista (sold), Trek 6000 SS(temporarily dismantled), Trek 850 1x8 , Generic SS 20" folder, Kona Shonky, Sunday Wave-C, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'8.5" with a 32" riding inseam. I ride a 15.5" Trek hard tail, an 18" KHS soft tail, a 55" Bianchi Pista, and a 52" CAAD 9. They all fit me well.

My wife is 5"6" and rides a 19" Trek MTB with North Road bars and it fits her like a dream.

Bike "sizes" are not fully standardized, and vary from brand to brand and from model to model.
Old 08-08-09, 04:59 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
There isa lot more to Bike fit than measure the Inseam and that frame will fit- Better measurement to go by is the top tube length
That's the most important measurement for me. The next thing is keeping the bars level with the seat.
Old 08-09-09, 07:36 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
This link might provide some help for bike fitting:

https://www.jensonusa.com/help_desk/t...ry/bikefit.asp

The Jenson website also has other information in its tech library section.