Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Saw a bear today.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Saw a bear today.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
You are unlikely to have a problem with a bear feeding at the side of the road. But I wouldnt stop and take pics.
In my case, I was descending hard with someone ahead of the rest of a group. Thought the thing was a dog at first. We finally realized it was a bear and stopped so we didn't hit it. (Had no idea whether it would run into the woods or our in front of us.) The rest of the group came down the hill and stopped. By that time, the thing had retreated into the woods and was moving laterally, trying to avoid someone working on their house. My ex was supposed to take a photo but hit the vide button instead. The photo is a still from the maybe 2 seconds of video she shot. Had the thing been off the road more I don't think I would have stopped.
Old 07-17-18, 10:11 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I heard a large animal taking off in the woods this week while on a hike. It was just 30 feet from me. I thought it was a moose at first but the panting sounded more like a bear. Then I saw a tiny cub climbing up a tree right next to the trail. I couldn't circle around so I waited until the cub came down and disappeared in the forest. I never actually saw the mother.

I've had many bear encounters. My favourite was about 40km from the west coast of Vancouver Island. I had stopped at a short hiking trail to get away from the highway noise. I walked the trail to some giant trees, then heard a bald eagle and went back to my bike to get a longer lens. The river had salmon and while I was waiting under a tree for the rain to pass, a bear came out to fish. It was pretty cool but short. the bear was coming my way and I came out from under the tree, hoping the bear would see me from a distance and stay around... but It ran away.

Old 07-18-18, 02:48 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Bikes: devinci monaco (upgraded)

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L
I heard a large animal taking off in the woods this week while on a hike. It was just 30 feet from me. I thought it was a moose at first but the panting sounded more like a bear. Then I saw a tiny cub climbing up a tree right next to the trail. I couldn't circle around so I waited until the cub came down and disappeared in the forest. I never actually saw the mother.

I've had many bear encounters. My favourite was about 40km from the west coast of Vancouver Island. I had stopped at a short hiking trail to get away from the highway noise. I walked the trail to some giant trees, then heard a bald eagle and went back to my bike to get a longer lens. The river had salmon and while I was waiting under a tree for the rain to pass, a bear came out to fish. It was pretty cool but short. the bear was coming my way and I came out from under the tree, hoping the bear would see me from a distance and stay around... but It ran away.

https://youtu.be/6kJ9OBm3boA
Cool! The very first live wild black bear I saw was in similar circumstances.
It was in 1956, I was 10 years old, and quietly making my way along a path beside Whonnock Creek in the Fraser Valley of BC
which my grandparents had property along. In those days that creek was a major salmon spawning area which attracted many
bears. I was there to do some trout fishing, I stopped to watch the hordes of spawning salmon when out of the bush on the other
side of the creek came a black bear. He didn't know I was there so I remained very still trying to look like a post as he walked out
into the stream, plunged his head into the water, and then backed out the way he had come with a salmon in his mouth. He
was only about 10 feet from me when he grabbed that fish. That's when I began a habit of whistling as I traveled around fish
spawning streams.
Old 07-18-18, 11:31 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Lew
" You are unlikely to have a problem with a bear feeding at the side of the road. But I wouldnt stop and take pics."

True, but as in most situations, there are exceptions.
In my 62 years prowling about in the back country, mostly in BC Canada where there are healthy populations of
both black bears and grizzlies, I've seen approx 200-250. I've only been really concerned for my safety a couple
of times...one when I was cycling uphill to Summit Lake on the Alaskan Hwy. As I made my way slowly up the
long grade I noticed a scruffy black bear on a avalanche scar a little ahead of and across the road from me. It wasn't
really close to the road so I wasn't worried and kept going. As soon as it saw me it came toward me at a fast walk,
and as it got closer, into a trot. As I got off my bike to quickly turn it around I was fortunate that a fellow came onto
the scene driving a truck which he used to cut the bear off long enough for me to escape. That driver then accompanied
me past the spot to make sure the bear didn't try again. That bear was acting in predatory fashion, and I don't know
if I would have been able to hit a high enough speed to get away from him before he reached me had it not been for that
fellow with the truck. When I reached the village at Summit lake I learned that the Game Warden was already on his way
to dispose of that bear as my incident wasn't the first reported to him within 24 hours.
Good story. There have been a few incidents of predatory black bears and bicycles and it definitely makes you stop and think. I don't generally carry bear spray on road rides in the mountains but I probably should.
Old 07-19-18, 12:22 AM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good story. There have been a few incidents of predatory black bears and bicycles and it definitely makes you stop and think. I don't generally carry bear spray on road rides in the mountains but I probably should.
Yes, I should have had a big can of bear spray at the ready on my bike when touring up north. Carrying a gun was not an option as I was
riding both in Alaska and Canada as well as parks etc.
Old 07-19-18, 10:01 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Yes, I should have had a big can of bear spray at the ready on my bike when touring up north. Carrying a gun was not an option as I was
riding both in Alaska and Canada as well as parks etc.
I think you can carry a non-restricted firearm, as long as it is unloaded. But not in a national park.
Old 07-19-18, 08:35 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but as we're not allowed to carry sidearms in BC as they are restricted, packing a 'defender' on a bike
would be problematic, especially considering the close bear encounters I experienced on my rides in Alaska,
The Yukon, Northwest Territories, and BC were in no shooting zones and/or national parks.
After doing a fair amount to testing of the big cans of bear spray that spew out a stream rather than a
fog, I don't have a lot of faith in them unless a bear is not coming in at me in full charge. They are the
best secondary option though.
Old 07-19-18, 09:49 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Yes, but as we're not allowed to carry sidearms in BC as they are restricted, packing a 'defender' on a bike
would be problematic, especially considering the close bear encounters I experienced on my rides in Alaska,
The Yukon, Northwest Territories, and BC were in no shooting zones and/or national parks.
After doing a fair amount to testing of the big cans of bear spray that spew out a stream rather than a
fog, I don't have a lot of faith in them unless a bear is not coming in at me in full charge. They are the
best secondary option though.
Well, anywhere in Canada.
Some of the bear experts I have read, I think it was Van Tighem, actually recommend bear spray over fire arms, and recommend that hunters carry bear spray.
I personally don't know, but I will stick to bear spray for the time being.
Old 07-19-18, 10:44 PM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, anywhere in Canada.
Some of the bear experts I have read, I think it was Van Tighem, actually recommend bear spray over fire arms, and recommend that hunters carry bear spray.
I personally don't know, but I will stick to bear spray for the time being.
I haven't done any testing of the mist type bear spray as opposed the thick stream, but as I said earlier, if a bear is suddenly in full charge
it's not likely spray will deter it...but on the other hand, many people have been mauled or killed even when carrying a firearm. Bears are
incredibly fast. I used to chase black bears on horseback and it was all my fast horse could do to keep up, never mind gain on them in short
runs. Where I believe bear spray would work well is if a predatory bear is either stalking or trotting toward you, giving you enough time to
deploy the spray. That type of bear is by far the most dangerous as they aren't likely to be deterred or frightened away.
Old 07-20-18, 04:35 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
“Some days you eat bear and some days the bear eats you”.

So glad we have no so called “restrictions” on firearms here in the Great North State.

In light of the rising frequency of human/bear confrontations, the Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, cyclists, city slickers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and be alert for bears while in the field. …We advise that all outdoorsmen wear small bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren’t expecting them, and to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter….

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen within the US should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur. Grizzly bear scat/droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

Last edited by Patriot1; 07-20-18 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 04:58 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Patriot1
Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur.
In my best Jeff Goldblum voice..."Black bear droppings? Droppings?"

Old 07-20-18, 07:44 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
bears? bears! you lucky, lucky ****! would that we only had to worry about bears!

Tourists have been warned about wild elephants in a forest plantation in Kanchanaburi province, particularly a male that has been nicknamed “Nga Lek, the bully”.

(random photo lifted off the intertubes)
Old 07-20-18, 08:06 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by saddlesores
bears? bears! you lucky, lucky ****! would that we only had to worry about bears!

Tourists have been warned about wild elephants in a forest plantation in Kanchanaburi province, particularly a male that has been nicknamed “Nga Lek, the bully”.

(random photo lifted off the intertubes)

But only after 3:00 P.M. ...
Old 07-26-18, 09:40 AM
Big Lew
Fraser Valley Dave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
“Some days you eat bear and some days the bear eats you”.

So glad we have no so called “restrictions” on firearms here in the Great North State.

In light of the rising frequency of human/bear confrontations, the Department of Fish and Game is advising hikers, cyclists, city slickers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and be alert for bears while in the field. …We advise that all outdoorsmen wear small bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren’t expecting them, and to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter….

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen within the US should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and fur. Grizzly bear scat/droppings have little bells in it and smell like pepper.

Wearing bells on your outfit is actually a good idea if your's hiking as it gives bears etc enough warning that you're approaching
under most situations. It isn't effective if hiking along a noisy stream or if in high winds coming toward you.
It also isn't effective when riding a bike because you're generally there before the bear locates where the faint ringing is coming from.
While riding up north, many times I was right among animals on the road before they were aware I was coming even though I was
constantly chatting with my riding partner. We once rode past a wolf sitting on the roadside before he understood what we were and
had a chance to disappear. Unless your peddling, the bells don't ring anywhere loud enough to do any good, so if you're coasting or
just cruising along, they won't warn anything. You'd be much better served by loudly playing raucous music.

Last edited by Big Lew; 07-26-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-26-18, 09:52 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
)
Funny. 😁 I finally made it up to Denver, doing laundry in Twin Lakes now. I got soaked good last night, lol. 😋
Old 07-26-18, 09:55 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Wearing bells on your outfit is actually a good idea if your's hiking as it gives bears etc enough warning that you're approaching
under most situations. It isn't effective if hiking along a noisy stream or if in high winds coming toward you.
It also isn't effective when riding a bike because you're generally there before the bear locates where the faint ringing is coming from.
While riding up north, many times I was right among animals on the road before they were aware I was coming even though I was
constantly chatting with my riding partner. We once rode past a wolf sitting on the roadside before he understood what we were and
had a chance to disappear. Unless your peddling, the bells don't ring anywhere loud enough to do any good, so if you're coasting or
just cruising along, they won't warn anything.
Yup.

I saw a bear yesterday whilst riding on a trail. I had stopped because there was a huge puddle and I was trying to figure out the best way to negotiate it.
I heard a noise in the bush, and there was a smallish black bear about 10 m away. I talked to it to let it know I was there. It ignored me and kept foraging in the bush. If I hadn't stopped, I probably wouldn't have noticed it and ridden right past it. I turned around and went back.

When I got back to the trailhead, I saw part of the trail network had been closed because a bear was feeding on a carcass. That was a kilometre or so from where I was.

They are definitely out there.
Old 07-26-18, 01:51 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Lions and tigers and bears....oh my odds likely are you have a better chance of winning the lottery than being attacked by a wild animal.
Old 07-27-18, 09:27 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Lions and tigers and bears....oh my odds likely are you have a better chance of winning the lottery than being attacked by a wild animal.
I think the odds of a bad bear encounter are higher than winning the lottery, but I agree , still very low. People shouldn't be paranoid about bears, but should know the risks and how to mitigate them.
Old 07-27-18, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

People shouldn't be paranoid about bears, but should know the risks and how to mitigate them.
qft
Old 07-27-18, 11:40 AM
indyfabz

Here Are the Odds of Being Killed by an Animal in Every State

I'm moving to MA.
Old 07-27-18, 11:43 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
This was posted in Foo - Funny GIF's.

I'm thinking the cyclist had right-of-way.

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/97271...l#&gid=1&pid=3
Old 07-28-18, 02:08 PM
Ritchie Logic

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
No pictures. It did not happen.
lol. Well, I believe the OP, like you, that it did happen!
Old 07-29-18, 10:27 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
There are some surprising results there. Colorado's actually pretty darn safe. 😎 That snail that's just as deadly as a bear must be freaking vicious. 😁
Old 07-29-18, 10:31 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Ritchie Logic
lol. Well, I believe the OP, like you, that it did happen!
Thanks for that. 🙂 I wouldn't lie about it, I have to live with myself. Every day. 😁
Old 07-29-18, 08:28 PM
Ritchie Logic

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Thanks for that. 🙂 I wouldn't lie about it, I have to live with myself. Every day. 😁
Your welcome. That does sound like an interesting encounter. Regarding interactions with nature you might like this video that I saw the other day.

Here's the link and video description:

Dr. Stephan Harding, Resident Ecologist at Schumacher College shares a moment of magic in describing the idea of 'encounter'. This is a segment of the forthcoming film about the radical economist and ecologist, David Fleming, 'The Seed Beneath the Snow'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.