Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Campione D'Italia info

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 12:15 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts

Not having any luck on the vintage forum so I thought I'd try here. It's a 1997 so not exactly vintage. The owner doesn't know much about it except everything is original and in excellent shape.
I guess the bike sold for $1,100 when new and he's asking $400 for it. Is this a lightweight bike? Good deal? Thanks
Old 10-03-18, 01:37 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert on that bike but from what I can tell it's chromoly steel frame and fork. Nothing special as far as steel goes but not a cheap frame either. It has entry level Campy parts. I'd imagine it's around 20 lbs depending on size. Price would depend on your local market. Where I live it would definitely sell for $350-400 with no problem. Things to note are the gearing is 53/39 and 12-23 cassette assuming it's stock. Fine if you are riding in a flat area or are a very strong rider. If you have a lot of hills or mountains you may want lower gearing. It also has a 1" threaded headset which will limit your options to replace stem and handlebars because they are not the popular standard sizes these days. If the bike is well maintained you might be able to ride it as is but with any used bike (especially a 20 year old one) I would assume I need to replace cables, housings, tires and tubes. If you can do all the work yourself then that's maybe $40-50 but if you need to have a shop do it then it might be $120. So just things to consider when you are thinking about total expense of that vs another bike
Old 10-03-18, 03:25 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have a 1992 Bianchi Campione (so probably not quite the same thing) that came with shimano RX100 (I think that's what it was... 7 speed down tube shifters). Probably paid about $600 for it in 92. Put ultegra 6500 on it in '98 and recently put 5800 on it. Mine is made of the lower end Tange double butted tubing. I never bothered weighing it but i'm guessing 22 lb or so. If it were one of the Reparto Corse Bianchi models, I'd snatch it up in a second, otherwise $400 might be a little over priced. Mine's a trainer slave but it's a perfectly good bike even 25 years later. Your call as to whether it's worth it.
Old 10-03-18, 03:31 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by rms13
Things to note are the gearing is 53/39 and 12-23 cassette assuming it's stock. Fine if you are riding in a flat area or are a very strong rider. If you have a lot of hills or mountains you may want lower gearing. It also has a 1" threaded headset which will limit your options to replace stem and handlebars because they are not the popular standard sizes these days.
part 2... true about the gearing, and older RDs aren't really equipped to handle wide range cassettes in the back.

As for bars / steams, you can get an adapter to use in place of an old quill stem and then you can use whatever "modern" stem and bars you like. That's actually pretty easy to do.
Old 10-03-18, 04:40 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I have a 1992 Bianchi Campione (so probably not quite the same thing) that came with shimano RX100 (I think that's what it was... 7 speed down tube shifters). Probably paid about $600 for it in 92. Put ultegra 6500 on it in '98 and recently put 5800 on it. Mine is made of the lower end Tange double butted tubing. I never bothered weighing it but i'm guessing 22 lb or so. If it were one of the Reparto Corse Bianchi models, I'd snatch it up in a second, otherwise $400 might be a little over priced. Mine's a trainer slave but it's a perfectly good bike even 25 years later. Your call as to whether it's worth it.
The one he posted has Campy with brifters so I think someone would pay $350-400 in LA where I am just because of the hipness of Italian bikes and components. But being red instead of Celeste would knock the price down a bit. The Reparto Corse bikes were awesome. I lost out on a frameset on ebay a few years ago and still regret not bidding higher. But without knowing where OP lives, it's possible that bike could be had for $200 there.

Also I have used quill to threadless adapters for stem on other older bikes and they work but those options are limited and I didn't like the look of them. But yes, there are options
Old 10-03-18, 05:05 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Location is definitely critical... people want $400 for a rusted out beater in LA.
Old 10-03-18, 08:36 PM
dougphoto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I Had a '94 or campione that I road and raced for many many years. I upgraded the wheels but that's it. Really fantastic bike that I miss riding. 400 seems like a good price to me.