Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Winter 2018/2019 "What Did You Wear?" Thread

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 10-12-18, 12:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Fomat

Location - where are you?
Weather - temperature, wind, precipitation, etc.
Ride - distance, terrain
What did you wear? OK if you want to talk about just one item.
How did it work out? Frostbite or comfy cozy?

Discuss!

-Tim-
Old 10-12-18, 01:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
it's sunny & hot today, I'll get back to ya!
Old 10-12-18, 05:55 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
5*C. I actually had to consult my clothing guide as it's been a while since I've ridden that cold.

3/4 tights, thick underlayer with long sleeve jersey and thin windbreaker; ear warmers under helmet; shoe covers; wool glove liners under full finger gloves. Hand were the weakest link today. I needed actually insulated gloves today.
Old 10-12-18, 07:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Temperature today was 6 C ( 42 F ) early morning commute and it was windy. This is what I wore:

- running shoes + wool socks
- lightweight polyester fleece sweat pants
- sleeveless polyester t- shirt
- lightweight long sleeve cotton sweat shirt
- lightweight fleece hoody
- fingerless gloves

I don't use any cycling specific clothing, I just wear normal athletic/training clothing

-
Old 10-15-18, 09:52 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Great thread idea I had a chilly and long ride back on September 29 worth sharing...

Location - Starting in La Crosse, WI; rode mostly through NE Iowa and SE Minnesota
Weather - Ranged from 40-45F; wind ~10MPH, shifting throughout the day (mostly headwind!); dense cloud cover; no precipitation
Ride - 107 miles, mainly rolling terrain, with one climb/descent
What did you wear? Summer helmet, ear cover, long-sleeve thermal jersey, wind jacket (~half the ride), bib shorts, thermal knee/leg warmers, thin to medium weight wool socks + cycling socks, insulated mechanic gloves (for about the last 60 miles), fingerless gloves (for the rest)
How did it work out? Nailed. It. Was a touch chilly when I got home, but it was cured by a hot cup of tea!
Old 10-16-18, 07:23 AM
LPcreation

Bikes: Giant Revolt 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Location - State College PA
Weater - 30-32F, not much wind
Ride - 6 miles
What did you wear? Cotton socks/running shoes. Costco windbreaker pants, under armor dry fit shirt, eddie bauer down jacket, nike running gloves, carhart helmet liner and helmet.
How did it work out? Not awful. 1st cold ride and fingers were freezing and core was sweating to the point my shirt is soaked. Need to get better gloves and lighter jacket for this weather. Lower body attire was perfect.
Old 10-16-18, 07:29 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Location - Western suburbs of Chicago
Weather - 33 degrees at 5:30am, probably near 50 degrees in the afternoon, brisk wind from the southwest which gave me at least 23 continuous miles of headwind, dry
Ride - 140.2 miles, ~3,500 feet of elevation gain.
What did you wear? Wool cycling socks with toe warmers, tights with wind pants, fleece and long sleeve running top underneath my waterproof shell, fleece headband that covers my ears. Started out with my lobster claw gloves but switched to regular long finger gloves at mile 37.
How did it work out? I was comfortable throughout the ride
Old 10-16-18, 09:40 AM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ride morning 10/16/2018.

Weather: 35 degrees 7:15 a.m, remained at or near that temp for duration. Light wind. Sunny!
Ride: 14 miles - 1,115 ft. elevation gain
What did you wear: Specialized Audax shoes, placed duct tape over forefoot air vents, mid-weight Smartwool socks. Regular bibs with leggings. Gore base layer with wind block front; Garneau winter type jacket. Winter gloves but not the claws. Helmet, no hat. Oakley warp type glasses.
How did it work out: I was cool throughout, all climbs were in areas not yet reached by the sun. Feet were cold but not awful. Fingers were cold (I always struggle with keeping hands warm). Teary eyes during the descents but manageable. Could have used another layer. All in all, not bad.
Old 10-16-18, 02:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Oct 13, 2016, 4:00 AM to 9:00 AM
Northwest Georgia
50°F to 53°F during most of the ride. No wind.
69 miles, 5000 ft elevation

Normal road shoes and bibs. Thin Swiftwick wool socks, Castelli Nanoflex 2 leg warmers. Under Armor cold gear mock turtleneck base layer. Castelli Alpha ROS jacket. Halo skull cap. REI Polartec Powerwool gloves switching to Giro long finger cycling gloves after daylight.

A little cold infiltrated under the bottom of the Castelli Alpha ROS jersey but I was comfortable most of the time. The only time there was really a chill was crossing a broad valley just before sunrise. The sky was clear and air was calm so the cold settled into the valley and it was brisk. I'm very happy with the Castelli Alpha ROS jersey.

-Tim-
Old 10-16-18, 03:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sealevel

NW coast by the sea on a river.
Summer low, of 50f is typical winter high.
Rain gear
I Snapped up a Grundens Made Rain Cape , that Riv Bike got them to produce..

The 1st batch ran out when they had a cash flow problem,
so there will be no more,
as the funds were not there to order a new batch made.

I JRA around town . Old , Retired .. 71
Most used; utility/folding bikes..
C&V road bike has not been on the road in a few years.

icy is an incident , not a season.
get out my 30 year old MTB with Studded tires , then..

Clothing ? Sweatpants , hoodie, Local Bar Logo..
Carhartt, Heavy duty Parka with reflective stripes..

LL Bean shoes.. or Blundstone Boots..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-16-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 07:17 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
But its not winter yet!!!!
Fall riding for now
Old 10-18-18, 09:47 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Riding gravel now just outside of town, about 10 miles out then back for 22.

Wore under armour cold gear compression top, summer gloves, under armour tights and bick shorts with thin chamois. Double layer socks, tennis shoes on flats.

Starting temp was 54°f and a slight breeze of 5mph. Initially was uncomfortably cold, and thought to myself I'll have to keep the power up to keep core warm. Five minutes in I was warmed up and very comfortable. Traveled one way as the sun was setting, crested then descended a large hill, which put me out of the remaining sunlight, temperature difference was at least 6°f. I was close to uncomfortably cold again!

I increased effort on the way back to keep warm. I should have packed an extra thin overshirt, my baclava and full finger gloves! Temperature was 45°f when I finished the ride. I got lucky in that the wind was down to 1mph, and at my back.
Old 10-18-18, 11:16 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyravr
But its not winter yet!!!!
Fall riding for now
I take that back.

Last night on my commute home I got rained on, snowed on and then pounded by ice pellets. All in a span of 40km over 2h commute.
But at least I was ready. But the 45kmh with 70kmh gusts of wind got the better of me.
Old 10-18-18, 01:54 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
5*C. I actually had to consult my clothing guide as it's been a while since I've ridden that cold.
Haha, yes same for me. You get too cold and then remember the options you have in detail.
Old 10-23-18, 03:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Sunday Oct 21, 2018
North Georgia mountains
35°F at ride start time with 10 MPH wind out of the northeast

Normal road shoes with Swiftwick Persuit 4 socks
Castelli Nanoflex bib knickers
Under Armor Cold Gear mock turtlneck base layer
Rapha Classic Jersey 2
Castelli Alpha ROS jersey
REI Powerwool gloves and Smartwool PhD beanie

Maybe too much caffeine on the drive to the start location but I froze my rear-end off for the first half hour of the ride. Shivering and almost quit. Thumbs and big toes were numb.

Then I started a 16 mile climb but the first half was on the west facing slopes of the mountains where the sun had not yet come up. I finally warmed up half way up the climb where it got steep and broke a sweat. I wasn't completely comfortable until I descended back toward the car in the valley later in the afternoon. It was about 50° in the lower elevations by then and felt really good.

Every year I have to re-learn how to ride in the cold. Windblock gloves and toe warmers were the lesson that day. I also didn't bring enough food. Gels and blocks are great for quick energy but I should have brought a turkey wrap or something substantial so that digestion could generate heat from the inside.

-Tim-
Old 10-28-18, 06:27 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Location - albuqerque, NM
Weather: dry but lightly windy, started at 39 and finished at 70+. In low 50s after less than 2 hours
Ride - Century with two major climbs but mostly on the river valley at only 5,000’ or so. Climbs were to 6000/6500
What did you wear?

specializes regular bibs
PI knee warmers
castelli gabba convertible jacket (no base layer)
PI fingerless gloves
Bell helmet
Defeet Woolie Boolie socks
Northwave Flash summer shoes

How did it work out? Fingers were bloody cold to start with. Gabba does great. Zipped off sleeves when temps topped 60 after second climb

love the woolie boolies. Feet were much warmer than i feared when I realized it was 10F colder than forecast.

Old 11-01-18, 08:41 PM
Canuk1w1

Bikes: Miele Laser (Suntour Superbe Pro groupo)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuesday, Oct. 30 ride report

Location - Toronto, Canada
Weather - ~8C, light wind, SUNNY!
Ride - 30km, flat
What did you wear? Castelli Gabba2, Assos thermal knickers, icebreaker 200 base layer (I ditched the arm warmers 10 minutes into my ride), Louis Garneau merino socks and MTB (SPD) shoes
How did it work out? Comfy

Last Tuesday was quite awesome. Went out last week in about 4C, same kit but heavier base layer and I kept the arm warmers on. Loving my Gabba, on the bid for an Alpha ROS (or equivalent Assos).
Old 11-01-18, 10:20 PM
expatbrit

Originally Posted by Canuk1w1
Weather - ~8C, light wind, SUNNY!
Ride - 30km, flat
What did you wear? Castelli Gabba2, Assos thermal knickers, icebreaker 200 base layer (I ditched the arm warmers 10 minutes into my ride), Louis Garneau merino socks and MTB (SPD) shoes
How did it work out? Comfy

Last Tuesday was quite awesome. Went out last week in about 4C, same kit but heavier base layer and I kept the arm warmers on. Loving my Gabba, on the bid for an Alpha ROS (or equivalent Assos).
My Gabba is my go to for anything. Today I did NOT wear it, but did have Sugoi arm warmers, a merino t-shirt under a summer jersey, and was nowhere near as comfy in 45F/7C. Also was struggling to go hard enough to get warm, for some reason.

I have an Alpha ROS too. Had the original Alpha, but the paramedics sliced that off me last November. After 1 interrupted ride.
Old 11-02-18, 11:49 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
November 1: Sock Experiment

Weather: 45 --> 37F, slightly damp, all after dark

Ride: ~14 miles. Hill intervals.

Clothing Observations:
  • Wool baselayer, poly jersey, tights, and light windbreaker were fantastic.
  • Fingerless gloves did the trick (climbing = hot hands for me; I brought insulated gloves but did not use them)
  • Sock Experiment: I tried thick acrylic hiking socks - they were not so great, especially for downhill by the end of the ride (when it dropped to 37F). My old combo of medium thin wool socks and normal cycling socks on top worked much better.
  • I could have used a bit more on the head toward the end. I had just an earband under my summer helmet. Next time, I'll bring a thin wool hat or balaclava in addition to the earband.

Last edited by wipekitty; 11-02-18 at 11:50 AM. Reason: breaking up wall of text
Old 11-02-18, 12:14 PM
Canuk1w1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit

My Gabba is my go to for anything. Today I did NOT wear it, but did have Sugoi arm warmers, a merino t-shirt under a summer jersey, and was nowhere near as comfy in 45F/7C. Also was struggling to go hard enough to get warm, for some reason.

I have an Alpha ROS too. Had the original Alpha, but the paramedics sliced that off me last November. After 1 interrupted ride.
First off, glad you're back in business! SLICED off? By paramedics? That sounds serious.

It was only my 2nd or 3rd ride in the Gabba but I'm very happy with that piece of kit. Once it gets close to 10C, i want to have some wind block on my torso. The summer jerseys vent too much and even with a thick merino base layer (eg icebreaker 260 weight), too much cold air gets through and hits my body - in my experience. The Gabba confirms I can get away without wind block on my arms. BTW, i was also wearing my full Assos leg warmers under the thermal knickers - i don't need shoe covers with that setup and I'm riding more on the leisurely side so not overheating.
I'm thinking to try a short pull in the rain (it's been almost constant here the last week except for Tuesday) this weekend. If the temps stay low then I'll use my Louis Garneau jacket rather than the Gabba (full sleeves, high neck).
Old 11-02-18, 04:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Early morning commute today: temperature 4 Celsius, rain and slightly windy. This is what I wore;

- running shoes
- wool socks
- adidas track pants
- thin wicking t-shirt
- under armor cold gear compression shirt
- north face windproof vest
- lightweight adidas fleece hoody
- wool beanie
- glove liners
Old 11-02-18, 09:13 PM
expatbrit

Originally Posted by Canuk1w1
First off, glad you're back in business! SLICED off? By paramedics? That sounds serious.

It was only my 2nd or 3rd ride in the Gabba but I'm very happy with that piece of kit. Once it gets close to 10C, i want to have some wind block on my torso. The summer jerseys vent too much and even with a thick merino base layer (eg icebreaker 260 weight), too much cold air gets through and hits my body - in my experience. The Gabba confirms I can get away without wind block on my arms. BTW, i was also wearing my full Assos leg warmers under the thermal knickers - i don't need shoe covers with that setup and I'm riding more on the leisurely side so not overheating.
I'm thinking to try a short pull in the rain (it's been almost constant here the last week except for Tuesday) this weekend. If the temps stay low then I'll use my Louis Garneau jacket rather than the Gabba (full sleeves, high neck).
It wasn’t the best. Week in the ICU, few of that in critical and so on. But the permanent damage isn’t too bad, all things considered. I was off the left leg for 15 weeks totally, though, and there’s still another surgery or two to come.

I have fhe older, convertible Gabba. It’s superb for changeable days. Start with sleeves on and maybe warmers under it, zip off as and when the day warms up or the effort increases. The fit is great, too.

I think fhe newer equivalent is the Perfetto. Really, the convertibility is what — to me — makes it such a great bit of kit.
Old 11-03-18, 03:20 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Location - Milton Keynes, England.

Weather - Thin high cloud, previous dampness drying out, -1 oC (30 oF). Dark, early-mid evening.

Ride - Several miles each way across town and back.

What did you wear? Furry beanie, mild amber cycling glasses over the top, thin long sleeve roll neck thermal top, padded wool hoodie, winter Parka coat, wool gloves, thin lycra gloves over the top, jeans, one pair of thick socks, mid boot leather trainers.

How did it work out? Soon got too hot. Pulled Parka hood down. Then unzipped Parka a bit. Then pulled hoodie hood down (but left fully buttoned up). Was comfortable then.

Additional points..? Was on an e-bike reaching speeds of 45mph occasionally, rarely below 20mph.

Summary and conclusion: I did not really want any more cold above the neck, and still find keeping wind away from ears a challenge despite long eladticated beanie clamped on further with regular cycling glasses over it - might look at elastic-strap fastened lenses.
Jeans don't keep my legs warm. Long-Johns instead of the hoodie would've been better. Or some padded combats.

The long-sleeve roll-neck tee (actually a woman's top from Primark) with puffy Parker coat made my CrossHatch are the winning combination for the torso. But the hood restricts side/rear visibility.

The thin, smooth Lycra type gloves over the wool gloves work perfectly, haven't looked beyond this for a couple of winter's now.

I need to seal my beanie properly. I've tried loads and this is the best, but other than a balaclava (not practical in the city) I believe the answer lies in getting eyewear clamped over the top better.

The boots are good but they don't have a webbed tongue, and I was aware of venting through the laces. I didn't have this problem last year, when I was wearing elasticated leather Chelsea boots. So i know the answer to that one.
Old 11-03-18, 04:49 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I just made one change. When it gets down to the low 50's and below I always wear my regular fingerless gloves with my Nalini shells over them. Then when my hands warm up I just remove the shells. The temp dropped over the last week and I started wearing my regular full finger MTB gloves and they've been perfect down to the low 40's. I like the way they feel on my hoods and I may wear them on road rides when it's warm. They aren't padded which is actually what I prefer.
Old 11-04-18, 08:53 PM
Canuk1w1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weather - ~6.1C, windy, partly sunny
Ride - 30km, flat
What did you wear? Castelli Gabba2, Assos thermal knickers, icebreaker 200 base layer, Assos arm warmers, Louis Garneau merino socks and MTB (SPD) shoes, Castelli Scudo gloves
How did it work out? Cold hands

I shoulda worn my Assos fugu insulated gloves today, It was windy and my hands were (almost uncomfortably) cold. Feet and legs were fine. I was a bit cool up top so think it's time to spring for a new ls jacket or maybe a proper gillet. Seems like we're getting one sunny day a week now but it might be another month until we're below freezing consistently for winter so I wanna squeeze out as much riding as I can 'fore they start dumping salt on the roads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.