Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bianchi, Giant or Canyon?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 01:46 PM
cloud5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I have been riding for over a decade now. i got started on used bikes off of ebay and then bought a Kestrel about eight years ago, but I am ready to make a more serious investment in a bike ($2-2.5K) and have started looking and trying to dial in what I want.

Bianchi Aria 105
Giant TCR Advanced 2 or disc
Canyon CF SL 8.0

One of my first bikes was a Bianchi and I love the aero frame on the Aria 105. However, I have seen great reviews all over the place about the Giant TCR Advanced and my LBS is a giant dealer. However I also like the look and have heard good things about the Canyon CF SL 8.0. Im not sure about the compact geometry of the Giant frame.

Anyone have experience with the above bikes? What did you like or not like? Is an Aero frame worth the extra money? Obviously I know that I will need to ride the bikes and get a feel for them. But I thought I would start here for some feedback and suggestions.
Old 11-05-18, 02:46 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
No experience with any of them ( I did own a TCR Advanced SL for a while) but between the three mentioned I would go with the Canyon without a doubt. SL frame, all Ultegra, hydraulic discs and about 1lb lighter then the other two. But Also $2800 so above what you listed as your top limit. Also direct sale so you'll need to be able to assemble and tune it yourself or add another $100-150 for shop to do it. Out of the other two it would be hands down the Giant. The Giant and Bianchi look very similar in spec. The Giant MSRP is $700 less. Your LBS is a Giant dealer so it all adds up
Old 11-05-18, 06:52 PM
t595

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
rms13 nailed it. NO need for anything further.
Old 11-05-18, 07:20 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Sounds like my dilemma but on endurance frames. I ended up with the Bianchi because celeste, but that's not exactly a great reason.

Given your LBS and the relationship, I'd be hard-pressed NOT to get the Giant -- especially if you like it a lot. I wanted to get a bike from my preferred LBS, but wasn't looking at the brands they carry. Canyon presents the value for money, I think, given their direct model, however.
Old 11-05-18, 07:22 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
I'm a Bianchi guy. I'd get the Bianchi.
Old 11-05-18, 08:06 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
TCR is a fantastic bike. One of the best overall handling/racing bikes out there.
I had extensive time on a Canyon CF SLX and it's a very good bike. Canyon's best road bike.

Of the two, I would go for your personal taste and what kind of price you can get.
More likely to get a good deal on the Giant with end of year, stuff going on sale.
Personally, I like the flat black Canyon style.

If the dollars are equal, gotta go with Canyon for the Ultegra spec.
If your LBS can hook you up with a Ultegra TCR for equal money, that would be a tough call.
It depends on fit too- both offer limited sizes, so that may make the decision for you.

no, aero bikes are not worth it unless you think they are.
For the same money, you get lower spec/heavier/less comfort for aero shaped tubes.
Same goes for disc brakes. But that's up to you of course.

Both the Canyon and TCR are upgrade worthy and long lasting bikes.

I don't know anything about the Bianchi.
Old 11-05-18, 09:20 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I had a bianchi back in the 90's and I miss it everyday. if the bianchi is celeste get it.
Old 11-06-18, 04:39 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I love my TCR Advanced 2. I like that the new models come with tubeless tires, even though I've never tried them. If i could've bought a disc brake model I think I would have, but there wasn't the option that year in Japan.
Old 11-06-18, 05:22 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Your particular needs, your fitness, riding goals, fit challenges trump any difference between the bikes. They are all fantastic bikes and you will get love for all of them from different members here who own them.
But each may not be best for you.
If you are asking about aero, go out on the web and watch some GCN videos on youtube.
Generally concensus is...if you don't race or don't ride in the A group, don't get an aero bike.
Typically an endurance bike will be best for an 'average cyclist'...why they are so popular.
But you may have extraordinary flexibility...or have a very long torso and short legs.
So its more about you that determines the best bike. All name brand bikes are excellent and how they got to be name brands.
Old 11-06-18, 07:20 AM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Your particular needs, your fitness, riding goals, fit challenges trump any difference between the bikes. They are all fantastic bikes and you will get love for all of them from different members here who own them.
But each may not be best for you.
If you are asking about aero, go out on the web and watch some GCN videos on youtube.
Generally concensus is...if you don't race or don't ride in the A group, don't get an aero bike.
Typically an endurance bike will be best for an 'average cyclist'...why they are so popular.
But you may have extraordinary flexibility...or have a very long torso and short legs.
So its more about you that determines the best bike. All name brand bikes are excellent and how they got to be name brands.

These are great points, Im not racing I mostly ride for fitness and I do a weekly fast group ride. The Bianchi is more than I need for sure, but I've always had a thing for Bianchis, they are just beautiful bikes. Im leaning right now towards the Giant Advanced 2 based on pricing, LBS relationship, and the great reviews I have seen for them. I will have to give it a test ride and see.
Old 11-06-18, 07:21 AM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Pedro
I love my TCR Advanced 2.
What do you love about it?
Old 11-06-18, 07:30 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud5
What do you love about it?
Mostly that it's mine. I like that in my size it came with narrowers handlebars than my Specialized, it rides nice, it's light for the price, full groupset, and the color is nice. I also like the geometry, as I'm not crazy about being upright.
Old 11-06-18, 11:29 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I don't own any of the 3 brands mentioned, but all I can say is that Giant gives on hell of a bang for the buck.
Old 11-06-18, 11:57 AM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
I don't own any of the 3 brands mentioned, but all I can say is that Giant gives on hell of a bang for the buck.
This the general consensus of what I keep hearing, i'm starting to lean more towards the Giant now. My heart says Bianchi but my budget and my brain are saying Giant TCR!
Old 11-06-18, 03:05 PM
Gr8day

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cloud5
This the general consensus of what I keep hearing, i'm starting to lean more towards the Giant now. My heart says Bianchi but my budget and my brain are saying Giant TCR!
Well if you plan on keeping the bike for a long long time go with what you really want price be damned, been riding my dream bike for going on 15 years now. Just bought a 2019 because of back surgery and old age, I need something more comfortable for longer rides, still keeping the dream bike for the 20 milers.
Old 11-06-18, 03:33 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
No experience with any of them ( I did own a TCR Advanced SL for a while) but between the three mentioned I would go with the Canyon without a doubt. SL frame, all Ultegra, hydraulic discs and about 1lb lighter then the other two. But Also $2800 so above what you listed as your top limit. Also direct sale so you'll need to be able to assemble and tune it yourself or add another $100-150 for shop to do it. Out of the other two it would be hands down the Giant. The Giant and Bianchi look very similar in spec. The Giant MSRP is $700 less. Your LBS is a Giant dealer so it all adds up
I was looking at the Canyon CF SL 8.0 Disc as opposed to non disk. The non disk is $2299 and has full Ultegra group. Comparing that to TCR Advanced 2 at $1900 msrp I'd lean much more toward the Canyon. The direct comparison for Giant would be the TCR Advanced SL2 for $4410 msrp. The Giant TCR Advanced SL2 does come with carbon wheels so it's still not apples to apples comparison. It also depends on your total "out the door" price on the two bikes. But assuming a $400 difference for SL frameset and full Ultegra group it would make me lean toward the Canyon.
Old 11-06-18, 03:38 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Nothing new for '19 road bikes so far as I see... Trek had something happening with its Domane ALR offerings but pretty much dumped it for... ???

I'd usually be looking for a replacement for my current '15 rig but..

Maybe the 2020s but for now and for the ones you mentioned... I'd say, go Giant!
Old 11-06-18, 03:52 PM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rms13
The non disk is $2299 and has full Ultegra group. Comparing that to TCR Advanced 2 at $1900 msrp I'd lean much more toward the Canyon. The direct comparison for Giant would be the TCR Advanced SL2 for $4410 msrp.
Yeah this was my thought also, I wish there was a way to test ride the Canyon so I could compare ride quality to the TCR. Although I've heard great things about Canyon bikes.
Old 11-06-18, 03:52 PM
cloud5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by onyerleft
If you were my friend, I'd recommend Canyon. Since I don't know you, I'm indifferent to what you will buy, and therefore won't recommend anything.
Haha fair enough!
Old 11-06-18, 04:11 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
aero tube bianchi looks better

Come to San Diego, Canyon has a store here.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-06-18, 05:15 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
aero tube bianchi looks better

Come to San Diego, Canyon has a store here.
see my reason for buying the Infinito. turns out I also really like it, but you pay for the Celeste.

Which one will make you ride more?
Old 11-06-18, 05:48 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Giant offers most bang for the buck
Old 11-06-18, 05:55 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Giant offers most bang for the buck
Unless you are comparing to Canyon, in which case Canyon offers the most bang for the buck
Old 11-06-18, 07:47 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Just theoretically, it's hard to imagine how Canyon could offer better value than Giant - Giant are like Shimano or Toyota; a huge outfit with class-leading tech and unbeatable economies of scale, plus zero wank factor.
Old 11-06-18, 08:58 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Just theoretically, it's hard to imagine how Canyon could offer better value than Giant - Giant are like Shimano or Toyota; a huge outfit with class-leading tech and unbeatable economies of scale, plus zero wank factor.
Agreed, except Giant sells through a dealer network and Canyon sells direct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.