Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter shoe?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter shoe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 11:50 PM
milton banana

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Winter shoe?

I'm ready to spend the cash for some winter shoes. I'm sick of fighting the booties for limited results. The coldest I have ever ventured out has been mid 20's. Most of the time freezing is my limit. I can test fit the Sidi Zero at Colorado Cyclist. If this is not enough for my parameters what you suggest?
Old 11-22-18, 12:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
A cycling boot I really like is the 45North Fasterkatt. Rated to around 20-25F and in practice good to those temps easily for me (and I am long limbed and skinny. Cold feet and hands are a way of life.) I find them very comfortable and easy to walk in, My feet do not sweat in them, even if I spend hours wearing them indoors. (I bought mine oversized relative to my regular shoes so for a good fit, I need to wear fairly thick socks. Riding, I just forget about them once the difference (relative to my other shoes) wears off.

They feature a not very aggressive MTP stye tread and are SPD 2-bolt cleat pattern. The price is real. I paid over $200, not on sale, in a bike shop.

Friday I will wear them for my now annual Black Friday ride, 34 miles to the base of the coast range, then gravel logging road as far and high as I feel like, turn around and ride back. I;m guessing the temps will be in the 40s with rain. I made gaiters for them that consist of stretchy, non-waterproof but quite windproof outdoor fabric. They fasten in back with velcro. I sized the top to my ankle/lower calf and the bottom for outside the boot, using separate velcro strips for the top and bottom. I put them on under ,my tights and over the boots. Stops the cold air down the tops and around my ankles entirely. And no water has ever gotten in save a little when I put the boot under in a deep puddle. Between those boots and the gaiters, it's foot comfort I never dreamed possible.

Ben
Old 11-22-18, 01:10 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

All you need down to zero
Old 11-22-18, 09:55 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
How sensitive you are to cold varies considerably from person to person.
I rather liked the Lake MXZ 302, in wide.
But since I have Raynauld's, I've gone to Wölvhammer. The Lakes gave a funny fit in the size needed to accommodate extra socks. Wölvhammers seem to maintain proportions better when going one size up.
Keeping the legs warm do improve foot warmth some, so consider thicker/more windproof pants/tights as well.
Old 11-22-18, 10:15 AM
milton banana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've done short rides in the 20's. Freezing is about the most I like to push it. I was talking to a salesman about the Sidi Zero. Gore tex lining but no additional insulation. He said, "Just put some booties over them for the cold rides." If I'm spending 250 bucks I'd better not need booties. I'm looking for something rated from about 20 to 45 degrees. And, I might add I don't ride when its wet at all.

Last edited by milton banana; 11-22-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 07:22 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by milton banana
I've done short rides in the 20's. Freezing is about the most I like to push it. I was talking to a salesman about the Sidi Zero. Gore tex lining but no additional insulation. He said, "Just put some booties over them for the cold rides." If I'm spending 250 bucks I'd better not need booties. I'm looking for something rated from about 20 to 45 degrees. And, I might add I don't ride when its wet at all.
That is a huge temp range, especially if for fair-weather (for winter) cycling.

My only experience has been Lakes. But both the 303 (coworker has them) and 400 (I have them), even with summer-weight socks, are far too warm for above freezing if there isn't rain/sleet. Probably the highest up their lineup you want to go are the 145 level--but neither I nor any of my coworkers are familiar with them
Old 11-22-18, 08:51 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
With my Spec Defrosters they're fine without neoprene covers down to about 32F. Down to about 20F you're still okay with covers. Below this temp you're looking at shoe covers AND some chemical heat packs. YMMV.
Old 11-22-18, 09:08 PM
Catmanran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my third ride today with my new Mavic pro thermals I got on eBay last week. It was mid upper 20’s with a strong north wind today. My feet did not get cold for 11 mile ride. I normally look for wide shoes, the mavics are a little narrow but feeling better each ride. So far 45 miles and no cold feet today was colder than previous rides.
Old 11-23-18, 02:51 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Are you looking for road (3 bolt) or mountain (2 bolt with tread) winter biking shoes? It's pretty easy to find mountain (2 bolt) insulated winter biking shoes. When I looked up the Sidi Zero I got a road shoe. Hard to find insulated road shoes.

Insulated mountain (2 bolt) shoes - specialzied defrosters, 45nrth makes a whole range of insulated mountain shoes, almost every brand has at least a lightly insulated version.

If it's road shoes best I know of is 2 things:
1. But a warmer shoe that's not vented (problem with regular shoes is they're usually specifically designed to try to bring air into the shoe and cool your foot down)
2. Use warmer socks for insulation. This wool/nylon blend sock is what I use with un-insulated shoes for winter biking in minnesota below freezing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZWLFRS/?coliid=I2QCD5XOI2UA0S&colid=3MJLXD9W55BJ0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1&psc=1

FITS makes thinner less insulated socks, and thicker more insulated versions as well. Far easier to change socks than to get the shoe covers on and off.
Old 11-24-18, 10:08 AM
milton banana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I go through the process of deciding what to buy I've come across some confusion with sizing. On the Competitive Cyclist site I've noticed a problem with the estimate of America men's size compared with EU sizing. For example using size 12 as a base line here's how the EU size stacks up per manufacturer. Sidi is a 47. Shimano is a 48. NW is a 45. Lake is a 46. Fizik a 12 1/2 is 46. Mavic is 46 2/3 is a 12. I have had to return stuff to them before so that's not a problem, but damn.
Old 11-24-18, 10:42 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Shimano MW81 GoreTex....Good from 45 F down to 5 F with proper wool socks, and sometimes supplemented by a chemical toe warmer across the tops of the toes.
Old 11-24-18, 07:13 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
That is a huge temp range, especially if for fair-weather (for winter) cycling.

My only experience has been Lakes. But both the 303 (coworker has them) and 400 (I have them), even with summer-weight socks, are far too warm for above freezing if there isn't rain/sleet. Probably the highest up their lineup you want to go are the 145 level--but neither I nor any of my coworkers are familiar with them
I have the 145 road shoe, 3 bolt pattern. Today my feet were warm enough and temps were mid 30s. I'm still tweaking the number and weight of socks I use. Today it was 1 pair med weight merino under a heavier pair of Merino socks. There is room in my shoes to do this. Also there is sort of a wearing/fitting routine which I'm also tweaking. I made sure the shoes were fairly warm before I put them on and also didn't crank the BOAs too tight, to keep the blood circulation going. The group was going fairly hard (for me) so I had plenty of body heat to dissipate. I'm not sure my feet would be warm enough with temps in the 20s, but I'll likely be giving it a go considering how cold it's gotten around here already.
Old 11-24-18, 08:40 PM
milton banana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by on the path
I have the 145 road shoe, 3 bolt pattern. Today my feet were warm enough and temps were mid 30s. I'm still tweaking the number and weight of socks I use. Today it was 1 pair med weight merino under a heavier pair of Merino socks. There is room in my shoes to do this. Also there is sort of a wearing/fitting routine which I'm also tweaking. I made sure the shoes were fairly warm before I put them on and also didn't crank the BOAs too tight, to keep the blood circulation going. The group was going fairly hard (for me) so I had plenty of body heat to dissipate. I'm not sure my feet would be warm enough with temps in the 20s, but I'll likely be giving it a go considering how cold it's gotten around here already.
Great info thanks. The 145's are in the lead at the moment. Only manufacturer that I can tell that offers a EE width.
Old 11-25-18, 11:13 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I have both the 145s and the 303's. I have worn the 303s down to single digits and have had no problem. They are amazing, warm even if your feet get wet. They are heavy, but that is to be expected. I have very wide feet, so I got the wide version as well as sizing up a full size. The included insole is thick, so you can swap it out for something thinner, and doing so has not left me wanting for warmth.

The 145s are good down to freezing for me with a thin wool sock and I can go even colder with a thick wool sock. They are much lighter than the 303s, but not as warm. I do not get uncomfortable until the temps get above about 55F. I use the 303s below freezing in wet and dry conditions and above freezing in wet conditions. I use the 145s above freezing and dry and above 40 when wet. After about a half hour, your feet will get wet from splash due to a gap in the tongue near the top of the foot.

i would replace either pair if anything happened to either one. You will be happy with them, and wonder why you didn't get them sooner.
Old 11-25-18, 06:06 PM
Catmanran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following up with the mavics I recently bought. I have more road time in and I like the shoes. I’ve gotten old and seems like the last few years I just can’t keep my feet warm at work or any other outdoor activity. I figure must be poor circulation. The mavics are so narrow on me I’ve got to wear my thinnest performance ankle socks. My feet have not been cold while wearing these shoes. If I didn’t find the 13.5 mavics on eBay lightly used I would be buying the 145’s and wool socks.
Old 11-30-18, 01:20 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I go with a mtb shoe that is two euro sizes too big. I wear two pairs of wool socks with a doubled over plastic grocery bag in between (over my toe area) (socks are darn tough over the knee, one ultra cushion mountaineering and one reg cushion). This is good down to about 20F. From there down to -20 I wear the Lake 303. Colder than that I usually do not go out.
Old 12-05-18, 01:53 PM
Porten2
Diamondback rider

Bikes: Diamondback Century, Response; GT Karakorum

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use sandals (Nashbar Ragster, or Shimano has some) with socks and neoprene booties. I can regulate just how much warmth I need by the sock choice. For me, the key advantage of this approach is the ability to grab the toe of the sock and pull some slack. Keeping the sock loose around the toes keeps them much warmer than if they are tight.
Old 12-05-18, 06:21 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Not to change the subject too much, does any one have any experience riding a winter bike on waterproof hiking boots?
Old 12-06-18, 02:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Not to change the subject too much, does any one have any experience riding a winter bike on waterproof hiking boots?
yes, I use what ever I already have. such as light hikers or waterproof hikers neither of which are insulated. when it's really cold I use my insulate boots, but not sure I would call them "hikers"

light hikers

waterproof hikers

Columbia snow boots
Old 12-20-18, 03:51 PM
cj19

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 6, Salsa Vaya Apex

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As you've figured out by now there are a lot of approaches. I went though the same info-gathering and inputs that you did and it finally occurred to me that I was not interested in some half-assed solution that required 5 steps, repeated purchases of warming packets, or some combination of approaches. I just wanted guaranteed warmth in a simple package that worked well. So I purchased a pair of 45NRTH Wolvhammer boots. They have been everything I was looking for and even more. Wearing nothing more than 1 pair of Woolie Boolie wool socks, they keep my feet toasty warm down to 25 deg F. If it's colder than that I might slip on a second, lighter pair of socks over the wool ones, and that's been good down to 18 deg F. Better yet, the Wolvhammer is supremely comfortable with a nice wide toe box, great coverage up to the shin, and a nice easy closure mechanism. They also clean off extremely easy. I've taken to just wearing them as the default any time I'm riding in the winter at 35 deg F or below. Easy on & off, no hassles, always warm & comfortable. They're not cheap (wait until they go on sale via REI or other retailer) but they are worth every penny.
Old 12-20-18, 04:24 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I use these:
Wind River Yukon XL
Toasty warm. Don't slip on ice.
I'd love to have SPD, but I'd end up buying pedals and cleats every 2 years because of the salt, I'm sure.
Rate My Treads website (grip of winter footwear)

Last edited by Viich; 12-20-18 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Add link to 'rate my treads'
Old 12-20-18, 08:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Shimano MW81 GoreTex....Good from 45 F down to 5 F with proper wool socks, and sometimes supplemented by a chemical toe warmer across the tops of the toes.
I like those too. Neoprene tops. They get wet, but do reasonably well in wet, as well as cold. And, have generally flexible tops and are comfortable.

The only issue I have with them is they have an elastic strap inside that the previous version didn't. I have to be careful it doesn't get tangled.
Old 12-26-18, 01:06 PM
milton banana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I completed a 19 mile ride the other day. I had on a summer sock under a PI wool winter sock with Castelli's Extremo shoe covers. Temperature was high 30's. My toes started to get cold at the end of this ride. After stripping everything off my socks were damp. I don't have a lack of insulation or warmth problem I have a lack of moisture management problem. Any ideas on addressing this problem?
Old 12-26-18, 01:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I completed a 19 mile ride the other day. I had on a summer sock under a PI wool winter sock with Castelli's Extremo shoe covers. Temperature was high 30's. My toes started to get cold at the end of this ride. After stripping everything off my socks were damp. I don't have a lack of insulation or warmth problem I have a lack of moisture management problem. Any ideas on addressing this problem?
a wicking sock liner, then a nice warm sock. here's an example

93% Coolmax Polyester/6% Nylon/1% Spandex
FoxRiver Therm-A-Wick Sock Liners

when it's really cold, I'll add a toe warmer between the socks

had a cold ride few weeks ago (high 20s). zip neck synthetic base, synthetic fleece shirt, synthetic fleece vest & a Marmott windstopper jacket. after the ride the only thing that was wet was the thin fleece liner of the jacket. base shirt dry, fleece shirt dry, fleece vest dry. I was like "cool". turned the jacket inside out to evap & washed the shirt that was next to my skin for good measure

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-26-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-29-18, 09:33 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Winter shoes. I have found it nearly impossible to completely eliminate moisture. You need to accommodate it.

i have yet to hear from anyone who has bought winter shoes and regretted it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.