Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing internal DI2 battery into aero frame w/integrated seat post

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-26-19, 10:45 PM
Lotus907efi

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R w/ 10spd DI2, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 1998 GT Forte titanium, 1989 Cannondale SR600 w/Shimano 105 group, Nishiki Pinnacle MTB, Vitus 979 w/Campag Veloce, Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Hello all

I am in the process of finishing up building a Litespeed C1R frame with Shimano DI2 6770 10 speed components. This Litespeed frameset has a special aero profile integrated seat post, aero profile seat tube and a VERY short FSA Wing "seat post" (see attached photo). So unfortunately as a result it is not possible to shove the long thin SM-BTR2 DI2 battery up into the seat post like I would on a frame with a standard seat post. Instead my plan is to actually install the battery into the bike by placing the long thin DI2 battery down in the seat tube of the frame. Originally my idea was to use a Ritchey DI2 Internal Seatpost rubber mount (see attached photo of the battery next to the FSA Wing seatpost) but after ordering the Ritchey rubber sleeve, I found that I was uncomfortable shoving the battery that was enclosed in the sleeve down into the seat tube since the assembly fit very snug and I was afraid I would not be able to get it back out again if I needed to for some reason.

I have read in various forum posts of people simply wrapping this internal DI2 battery in bubble wrap before shoving it somewhere into the bike. I am just not certain this will work in this case. The external diameter of the DI2 battery is 0.64 inches and at the widest spot the internal "diameter of the aero seat tube is just about 1 inch.

Anyway if anyone has done something similar to this before, I would appreciate any suggestions.

FSA Wing seat post next to Shimano SM-BTR2 DI2 battery
Old 06-27-19, 08:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
you need to custom fabricate a battery mount that will fit inside the non round frame..

Or just be happy with the battery wired up externally in a bag , say on top, right behind the stem..

I expect you just wanted a shopping link .. maybe someone else can do the internet search for you..

Old 06-27-19, 10:26 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Have you considered just trimming and shaping some of the ribs on the Ritchey mount with a sharp knife until you get a snug fit in the seat tube? That's what I did to get the Ritchey to fit in my Thomson seatpost, which has an oval shaped interior, but you would probably need to make more radical cuts. I think I've also seen wedge-shaped adapters for aero seatposts, but they're usually for a specific model of bike so might not work for you. Also, you can try just asking Litespeed directly. If the frame is Di2 ready they probably have an idea of how you're supposed to do it. Other options including sticking it in the down tube or left chainstay or seatstay if they're available. Shimano also sells two kinds of external battery mounts.

The problem with bubble wrap, styrofoam wrap, etc. is that they don't hold up over time. You probably want something more stable. Maybe cut up a neoprene foam mouse pad or yoga mat or pipe insulation?
Old 06-27-19, 12:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
how about cork ?
Old 06-27-19, 03:11 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I agree with Metaluna's suggestion about trimming the sleeve down. A good pair of sharp scissors might be easier/safer than a knife. While you are at it, why nor cut some additional grooves to clear a loop of paracord or similar that you can use to pull it out if needed?
Old 07-05-19, 04:11 PM
Lotus907efi

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R w/ 10spd DI2, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 1998 GT Forte titanium, 1989 Cannondale SR600 w/Shimano 105 group, Nishiki Pinnacle MTB, Vitus 979 w/Campag Veloce, Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Solution to DI2 battery with integrated seat post

Here is what I ended up doing to solve this.
I don't know if it is a permanent solution but it seems to work for now.
DI2 battery suspended from bottom of seatpost and hanging down inside seat tube.