Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

85/86 Serotta Nova - The Catch is Caught.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-27-07, 02:59 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Anyone have any information on this model? I've been presented with the opporunity to pick one of these up equipped with Super Record. It has been repainted with a non-serotta paintjob, but the fork crown is unmistakenably Serotta.

Update: See post #16 for latest.

Photos:

(rest of photos below)

Last edited by cuda2k; 02-18-07 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-27-07, 03:16 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Oh yeah, the Serotta Nova Super Record - yes, that's the actual model name. It's a full Columbus SL frame. Was also available with a Dura Ace or Victory gruppo. Original cost in 1985 was $1395 US. It uses the standard Serotta road geometry, which is competition oriented. If you know the size (ctc) and PM me, I can give you all the measurements. A well made and highly respected frame. If I recall correctly, Serotta manufactured the 7-Eleven frames right around this period.
Old 01-27-07, 03:22 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd jump on that.
Old 01-27-07, 04:56 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Anyone have any information on this model? I've been presented with the opporunity to pick one of these up equipped with Super Record. It has been repainted with a non-serotta paintjob, but the fork crown is unmistakenably Serotta.
Jon,

How in the Sam Hill do you keep finding these great bikes? Do I need to move to Texas?
Old 01-27-07, 05:09 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

I'm waiting to hear back from the owner. He's interested in my Schwinn Passage, and he's got a Serotta that hasn't been on the road in 10 years. I'll keep you all updated. Right now it has a very late 80's paintjob, but if I decide to keep it, it will eventually go in for new paint. I was more interested in a 70's S.Record bike, but there's no way I'm going to pass up a Serotta if one is offered.
Old 01-28-07, 08:34 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Jon,

You've seen my Serotta, it's a 1989 model. Ride is wonderful. As T-Mar says
definitely leans towards competition riding. They did offer a "sports tourer" geometry
but I don't know if that came in later.
IF my frame wasn't so small (for you) I'd let you ride it. I love the bike, it's my daily rider.
Different ride than the de Reus (also competition bike) or any of the others, fast but not
twitchy. It's also pretty comfortable for all day riding, which I think is unusual.
Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 01-28-07, 09:51 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Thanks for the information Marty. Sounds like a great bike to have in the collection, that's for sure! All day comfort with a competition feel is perfect for my needs, I'm not going to get too excited till I have it in my hands, but sounds like a great ride. Now to find the funds to put a fresh coat of paint on it! (ok, so much for waiting till I have it huh?)
Old 01-28-07, 11:18 AM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
such a sweet ride. gotta get it repainted though.
Old 01-28-07, 11:56 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Now to find the funds to put a fresh coat of paint on it! (ok, so much for waiting till I have it huh?)
Send it to my painter - you won't have to pay him for around 3 years, if at all.
Old 01-28-07, 12:00 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Send it to my painter - you won't have to pay him for around 3 years, if at all.
Rad, yeah, but I'd also like to ride it before I have gray hair! I'd likely have Southwest Frameworks do the paint, probably a simple solid color with a new set of Serotta decals. The guy is local to me, and right now waiting for a email back from him. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.
Old 02-05-07, 08:14 PM
Bockman
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure Serotta offers a repainting service. Just sayin'....
Old 02-05-07, 08:47 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Well, haven't heard anything from the owner in long enough to say this one probably isn't going to happen. Unfortunate, but easy come easy go I suppose. Guess I should have known it was probably a bit too good to be true. Oh well. Such is life.
Old 02-18-07, 02:44 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

If my weekend wasn't strange enough - I finally got a message from the owner of the Serotta. Though it was back through my newly relisted ad for my Schwinn. Which makes me think my emails to him aren't getting through. In any case, I called him and left a message so I guess there's still a chance of this going through.

So, if I get it, and I have it repainted... what color? I'd likely do a single color metalic. I'm leaning either to a Marina Blue or a dark red (simular to the 07 Ford Mustang metalic red that I already suggested to East Hill for her Raleigh).
Old 02-18-07, 03:04 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Ok, all but a done deal. Meeting the guy for the trade in 30mins.
Old 02-18-07, 03:37 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
...similar to the 07 Ford Mustang metallic red that I already suggested to East Hill for her Raleigh.
That is a beautiful colour! I finally managed to get down to the local Ford dealership, and in case anyone's interested, it's Redfire Clearcoat Metallic (G2).

I would recommend it highly.

East Hill
Old 02-18-07, 04:18 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

The bike is now at home with me. Photos to come soon.
Color is a 3 tone pink - black - electric blue color. Previous owner was associated with a woman's race team supplied by ParkPre bicycles. So he had his Serotta repainted to match. Its pretty obvious that it hasn't been ridden in years, but over all it is in good shape under the grime.

Super record front and rear derailleurs, crank, headset and shifters. Brakes are Campagnolo but not sure if they are the Record or not, photos to come. Brake levers are aero Dia-Compe. Wheels are tubular with record 32h hubs. One rim is a Mavic GP4, the other is a Campagnolo. Stem is branded Specialized but the bar is a Cinelli. He also gave me a spare set of crank rings (the original pair, look lightly used, he'd replaced with bigger grinding gears, spare tubular rim and a couple tires, spare stem and bar.

Looks like at least a few of the spare parts will be going into the for-trade pile as I get everything sorted out. I'm quite tempted to put the S.Record on the Gazelle and go with modern Campy on this Serotta after the paint job. *ponders*

- photos after the next commercial break in the ToC coverage.

Last edited by cuda2k; 02-18-07 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 05:19 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
huge score, I would definately put the super record on the gazelle, the brakes are super record.
Old 02-18-07, 05:22 PM
McDave

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations! Looks like a fine ride. And yes, the new Mustangs do have some nice colors.
Old 02-18-07, 05:33 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

cyclotoine: thanks for the confirmation on the brakes. The owner had mentioned something about not being able to find the original brakes so I wondered if they may have been a different Campagnolo model. Can't claim to be a vintage Campagnolo expert. I'm going to get this Serotta on the road and ride it a bit before I decide what group to put on what bike. Either one is going to be a looker dressed in either vintage or modern Campy.

McDave: my sister recently bought the 07 Mustang with the metalic red. Beautiful color indeed. Ever since I've had it in the back of my mind to put it on a bike. I have 3 bikes with at least some blue in the paint so I'm wondering if it's time for something different.
Old 02-18-07, 06:13 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
the calipers are likely original, I think the script logo super record were produced 1985-1987 roughly. He may have just been thinking of the original levers. the original pads/holders are missing on the rear, and I think the front as well... makes sense that he swapped for aero levers are the time everyone was moving to aero.
Old 02-18-07, 06:48 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Jon,

Go to probikekit and put a 9spd campy group on this frame. It'll rock the house......

S. J. Perelman
Old 02-18-07, 06:52 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

9sp? I'm thinking Chorus/Record 10sp in the Fall. I already have an alloy record crank and BB, and brakes from the 06 line up and a 07 QS style FD. Pair that with Chours rear d, shifters, and some light climbing wheels and a new paintjob and you're right, it will rock. And I'll have a long distance rider for many many years to come.
Old 02-18-07, 07:58 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
I hate you. Can I ride it?
Old 02-18-07, 08:44 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Congrats! You sure waited long enough for it, glad it came through...sweeeet bike.
Old 02-18-07, 09:02 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Apparently the emails I had sent the owner back never reached him. Called him last weekend (or was it the weekend before that). In any case I had re-listed the Schwinn on Craigslist this morning and I got another email from the guy asking if I was still interested in the trade. I called him (both home & cell which he'd given me this time) and he called back about an hour later.

Jsharr - as soon as it's rolling you're welcome to ride it dude. As long as you come back with it.

Started doing a once over on the bike tonight and so far:

The pink is even brighter once I wipe the dusty grime off the frame.

The seat post moves, its in there snug, but it most certainly moves!

The stem dropped out no problem. Tightening bolt was a little snug and corroded a tad, but once it broke free it spun off easily and two taps of the hammer dropped the expander and the stem dropped right down.

The screws that gave me the most trouble so far have been the brake cable bolts. Had to give them two shots of oil and let them sit for a bit before I was finally able to break them free. Took the screw all the way out and wiped them down to remove crud and such. While the brakes were off the bike I polished up the screw heads with some Mother's polish and the dremel.

Tubulars both hold air and look to be in decent shape for their age. Will still let someone who's got more experience with such things look them over before I ride them any distance.

Things it will need:

Grease from top to bottom, cables and housings, and a good thorough cleaning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.