Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

PDX: Special Report: Who's to blame - drivers or cyclists?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 09:18 AM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Portland, OR. KATU news did an article and video on how blame is distributed in bike vs. car accidents.

https://www.katu.com/news/11219826.html
Old 11-13-07, 03:01 PM
gosmsgo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drunk cyclists on the sidewalk and probably did not have lights.

Yeah, he totally deserves 90 grand.
Old 11-13-07, 03:05 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Well, if the cab driver cannot tell the difference between a gas pedal and brake, then maybe he deserves to pay up.
Old 11-13-07, 03:07 PM
gosmsgo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sidewalks were not designed for someone going 10-20 mph. Any Engineer would tell you that.
Old 11-13-07, 03:08 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gosmsgo
drunk cyclists on the sidewalk and probably did not have lights.

Yeah, he totally deserves 90 grand.
The cab driver looks both ways and inches out, but he doesn't see a bike on the sidewalk coming his way. The bike and cab collide.
In my experience the driver "looking both ways, then inching out across the sidewalk" actually equals "the driver zoomed up to the intersection, braking barely in time to avoid going into the road and stopping fully across the sidewalk before looking for CARS in the roadway"

Pick a parking lot somewhere with a driveway that crosses a sidewalk and has a good amount of car traffic. Sit for a half hour or so and count how many drivers stop BEFORE the sidewalk and look for pedestrians.

I'd be willing to bet the percentage is VERY close to 0%

edit: I also fail to see where you say the cyclist was drunk... though I do see where the CYCLIST does, in fact, say that the driver stopped before the sidewalk. (Honestly, I'm shocked at that!)

Ok... in the article it says that "However, police never gave the driver a ticket, and the bicyclist was accused of being intoxicated."
Which doesn't mention WHO accused the bicyclist of being intoxicated, or if there was any evidence, etc.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

Last edited by bmclaughlin807; 11-13-07 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-13-07, 03:12 PM
gosmsgo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
In my experience the driver "looking both ways, then inching out across the sidewalk" actually equals "the driver zoomed up to the intersection, braking barely in time to avoid going into the road and stopping fully across the sidewalk before looking for CARS in the roadway"

Pick a parking lot somewhere with a driveway that crosses a sidewalk and has a good amount of car traffic. Sit for a half hour or so and count how many drivers stop BEFORE the sidewalk and look for pedestrians.

I'd be willing to bet the percentage is VERY close to 0%

You mean he lacked enough judgement to look for VEHICLES on the sidewalk. So would I.

Drunk rider on the sidewalk without lights gets hit and we want to hang the car driver.

Unreal. Save your venom for the drivers who are blabbing on the cellphone and hit something going 15 mph slower than them.
Old 11-13-07, 03:24 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

You mean he lacked enough judgement to look for VEHICLES on the sidewalk. So would I.

Drunk rider on the sidewalk without lights gets hit and we want to hang the car driver.

Unreal. Save your venom for the drivers who are blabbing on the cellphone and hit something going 15 mph slower than them.
So you think it is OK to have drivers on the road that cannot tell the difference between a gas pedal and brake?

Personaly, I would rather come across a drunk cyclist, than a motorist that cannot tell the difference between a gas pedal and brake.
Old 11-13-07, 03:27 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

sidewalks were not designed for someone going 10-20 mph. Any Engineer would tell you that.
So, back in the day that I ran on sidewalks at 12 mph, it would have been OK for a motorist to run me over because I exceeded your 10 mph criteria?
Old 11-13-07, 03:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

At least that puts your post in proper context!

Last edited by CB HI; 11-13-07 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 10:49 PM
ChezJfrey
Rider in the Storm

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice. The article provides evidence that auto drivers are typically a problem in cycle-auto collisions, then closes with an example of a possibly drunk cyclist and the ever-vigilant and careful Radio Cab driver (this is near impossible to believe!) blamed for a collision...just to make sure the reader remembers the "problem" is really those damn cyclists!
Old 11-14-07, 11:24 PM
syn0n
livin' the nightmare

Bikes: '81 Centurion SS coversion, other ****

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So you think it is OK to have drivers on the road that cannot tell the difference between a gas pedal and brake?

Personaly, I would rather come across a drunk cyclist, than a motorist that cannot tell the difference between a gas pedal and brake.
What is it with you and all of these hyperbolic statements you post so frequently? You seem to have a temper tantrum whenever someone blames a cyclist for something (in this case, operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol) but then you turn right back around and say something idiotic like "OMFG THE TAXI GUY DOESN'T KNOW WHICH PEDAL IS THE ACCELERATOR AND WHICH IS THE BRAKE".

Yeah, that's really clever of you. Do continue, by all means. It's not as if anyone notices it or anything crazy like that.
Old 11-15-07, 01:41 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChezJfrey
...an example of a possibly drunk cyclist and the ever-vigilant and careful Radio Cab driver (this is near impossible to believe!) blamed for a collision...
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 11-15-07, 02:34 AM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
more motorists at fault than cyclists; inflamatory news report nonetheless, trying to sell your station or what?

WTF, We All are Traffic.

Mainstream media sucks!