Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

ID lugs, bottom bracket, fork crowns?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-23, 04:01 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 768 Posts

I got some lugs, fork crowns, a bottom bracket and some rear dropouts from iab. I'm looking to identify them so I can decide what uses to put them to. I took some quick photos of what I have. Things I know:
  • The bottom bracket shell, the dropouts, and the shiny lugs are all stainless steel, based on minimal/nonexistent magnetic attraction.
  • One of fork crowns appears to be an Everest (C-58? maybe), based on the marks underneath the crown.
  • The shiny lugs are oversized.
  • As far as I could tell, nothing besides the Everest fork crown has any indication of the maker.
Is there some sort of visual compendium of lugs and such where I might dig into this?
Old 12-06-23, 04:03 PM
smontanaro 

Right after posting, I found the bottom bracket shell is an Allotec J166B.
Old 12-06-23, 07:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,332 Posts
The crown w/o any cutouts in the tangs sure looks to be a Henry James. He did offer them in SS.

I had my fling with SS and decided that my brazing skills weren't up to the task when it came to flowing lugs w/o burning the SS and/or flux. These days I stick to head badges and an occasional small bit for SS. Andy
Old 12-07-23, 04:11 AM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The crown w/o any cutouts in the tangs sure looks to be a Henry James. He did offer them in SS.
Thanks, Andy. I noticed the resemblance. I believe my Weigle has a Henry James fork crown. When I looked at an archived version of the HJ website though, it appears his fork crowns were embossed with his name. This feels has no markings that I can see.
Old 12-07-23, 07:27 AM
Mark Beaver
semi-retired framebuilder

Bikes: twenty-three at last count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
I suspect that the Henry James lookalike crown would be an Everest C-64, as per the attached pic from my 1993 Everest catalog. I had used a few of these back in the day and I still have one of them, in my box of old crowns that will probably never get used, as no-one wants a bike these days that can only fit a 25mm tire.
Old 12-07-23, 07:37 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,332 Posts
The HJ crowns did have his name embossed on their brake hole raised surface, sometimes. I've used, maybe, a couple dozen on these crowns and only some had the embossment. Agree with the tire width limits. Andy
Old 12-07-23, 08:18 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Beaver
I suspect that the Henry James lookalike crown would be an Everest C-64, as per the attached pic from my 1993 Everest catalog. I had used a few of these back in the day and I still have one of them, in my box of old crowns that will probably never get used, as no-one wants a bike these days that can only fit a 25mm tire.
I was about to say the same thing. That Henry James look alike crown was made narrower by Everest in the era when skinner tires were all the rage. Hank was very protective of his brand and this kind of copying drove him nuts. I'm sure some cease and desist lawyer letters made their way over to Taiwan. I don't think they were available on the market very long. I remember my buddy Rich Gangl built some forks with those crowns. They can be identified from the real thing because they are narrower between the blades. I've always liked the looks of a HJ crown but they are difficult to thin in the transition area between the socket and the tang. There is hardly any space there and it is easy to gouge into the cross piece.
Old 12-07-23, 10:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,714 Times in 2,532 Posts
I'm curious how knowing what the items are would help you decide if you want to use them. I was recently looking for a fork crown in my collection, and in most cases, I have no recollection of where they came from. I was just looking for the right width and steerer diameter. There was one that I was really stumped about but I was thinking about using because of the geometry. I figured out it was a Pacenti that I didn't remember he sold. It was high quality, but not exactly a memorable design.

OTOH, for someone selling bikes, it makes a lot of sense to keep track of where something came from and when it was purchased in case there is a problem with it.