Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Numb hands when touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Numb hands when touring

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 06:07 PM
otis66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is possible that your problem is not in your hands. Your problem could be in your elbow (cubital tunnel syndrome), souldler or neck. Different handle bars may help you. Try tapping the base of your palm with the fingers of the opposite hand. If you feel tingling burning in your fingers it's CTS. have someone tap your elbow, ( funny bone) if you feel tingle in your hand when tapping elbow it is CubTS. Next time you start to feel the tingle hold your arm out with your thumb up. This will release the nerve....
Old 08-13-12, 09:11 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by azesty
Well I did two days riding after two days off.
My hands are not great, but not as bad as they were. I think the problem was the really rough day about 2 weeks ago. I spent 7 1/2 hours riding, mostly on very rough roads with an average of 12.1 kmph. There were about 4 hours of that that were downhill on roads so rough that two bolts rattled loose, and I broke the band that holds my waterbottle in.

I will have tomorrow off, then start a 4 day slog across the desert to Kashgar where I will have more than a week off.

Thanks for all your help

z

Good to hear hands improving. Bumpy roads can be hard on rider & bike alike. LHT has pretty smooth ride but unless one has the 559 (26") wheel version with fat tires it's going to be a lot rougher than say a mtb. I remember Bernard Hinault had numb fingers for 2 weeks after riding in a cold rainy race so you're in good company.
Old 08-16-12, 05:22 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
LHT has pretty smooth ride but unless one has the 559 (26") wheel version with fat tires it's going to be a lot rougher than say a mtb.
I have 26 inch 2 inch Schwalbe Mondials, love them, and while I sometimes wish on flat roads they were a little thinner, when I hit the bumpy stuff I am glad I have the fat ones.

Just did three long days, 176 km, 136 km and 120 km. Hands are pretty good, long times in the sadddle as I have often had a head wind.

I think it was the bumpy roads!

z
Old 08-16-12, 10:41 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Have you seen this thread? https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tion-Discovery

Your weight should be on the pedals and not on the bars. You need adequately stretched out reach and drop to achieve this, along with increased saddle setback.
Old 08-17-12, 02:18 PM
dengidog

Bikes: Habanero Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Have you seen this thread? https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tion-Discovery

Your weight should be on the pedals and not on the bars. You need adequately stretched out reach and drop to achieve this, along with increased saddle setback.
Wow...that was a real eye opener. I tried this on today´s run and have to say it was a much more comfortable position, especially on my neck. It´s going to take some time to do it automatically, but anything that makes the ride more pleasant is worth learning.
Old 08-17-12, 09:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones

Yes, I've been trying to make the point on BF for years that more stretched out is less pressure on your hands, but there are a few ducks to get in a row before one can realize that. I think it's also easier on your hands because your arms can absorb the shock better. I have a friend who had back pain for years until the fitter lowered his bars and stretched him out more. All gone.
Old 08-17-12, 10:57 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by azesty
...I think it was the bumpy roads...
Me too.
Old 08-18-12, 09:27 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I can't believe someone hasn't mentioned aerobars.
I just completed by 5th bicycle tour but it's the first time I've tried aerobars.
They are the answer to my prayers.
I've had hand problems on the previous 4 trips and feel stupid for waiting so long.
Now that I'm up there in years (48) my hands can't take it anymore. I'll never do another trip without them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG01487-20120531-0941.jpg (102.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-20-12, 05:32 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I lifted this photo off a shoe ad and added the lines showing the difference in the balance point of two riders.

Old 08-23-12, 01:11 AM
Clarabelle

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I used to have terrible problems with numbness in my hands from cycling, so much that I considered buy a recumbent. I tried more padding on my handlebars, moving my hands around more often, and strengthening core muscles. However, the only thing that worked for me was raising the height of my handlebars. When I finally tried that -- raising my handlebars to the same height as my saddle -- the problem went away almost immediately and it's never bothered me since.
I've had a similar experience with my tandem. I finally took it in to raise the handlebars to the same height as my single, which involved a stem extender, new cables, and adjustment. Hard to believe how happier my hands are now.
Old 09-02-12, 01:37 AM
LynxTheWizard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I suggest that you take 2 days off, see what happens. if the problem is still there, rest more until you feel like riding again. meanwhile change the angle of your bars, raise them a little bit (so there's less pressure on your hands while riding), try riding with no gloves, change the hand position more frequently. Exercises for hands are essential when bike-touring, because you don't move them that much while riding. If the problem still exists cancel your trip and go see a doctor.
Old 09-02-12, 07:18 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I'm a bit late on this thread, but aero bars can help a lot by providing a better position. I am putting these new NItto Bosco Bars on my touring bike. I've used them for a light touring hybrid this summer and have not experienced any numbness at any time, even during a century ride.

They look like an old-fashioned cruiser bar, but they aren't. They provide a huge range of body and hand positions including a very nice aero tuck when extending to the center of the bar. Check them out on Rivendell's site.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2266.JPG (43.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-02-12, 04:52 PM
Russcoles11

Bikes: Royal Enfield Revelation, Dawes Kingpin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this issue. If I ride any distance now I have the velcro on my gloves undone so that bloodflow isn't restricted, this solved it for me.
Old 09-02-12, 10:57 PM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My universal prescription: Ergon grips. I don't know if those will work with the handlebars you have though...but they were like magic for me and have done the same for many others.