Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What cycling GEAR do you use less, and why?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 07:51 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I'm talking about GEAR as in sprockets and chainrings--not jerseys and blinkies. Maybe you've changed your gearing preference for various reasons. Even if you ride a single speed, tell us about that.

Here's that other thread about gear as in equipment and clothing:
https://www.bikeforums.net/living-car...using-why.html
Go there if you want to talk about your equipment. It's a good thread.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 08-25-15 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:57 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Road triples around here.
Old 08-25-15, 09:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My touring bike and its Derailleur drivetrain , because my house is close in town .. and I'm not On Tours .

and for hauling my groceries back from the more distant shops, My Rohloff hub is soo nice..
Old 08-25-15, 09:42 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

When I was riding 10 or 20 miles every single day, I got to where I almost never used the two smaller rings of my mountain bike. I rarely used any back gears except for maybe the 5th or 6th.

When I resume riding after a long hiatus, I imagine I will be using the granny gears the most.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-25-15, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

"5th or 6th" is technically vaporous, Count teeth front and back , that is the way you properly describe gear ratios

like 'I climb the Alps in my 42 : 26 on my road bike' ,,
Old 08-25-15, 09:56 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
53 x anything.

Now I run 50/36 x 11-25 most of the time.
Old 08-25-15, 06:38 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I'm talking about GEAR as in sprockets and chainrings--not jerseys and blinkies..
I started out with a mountain triple, and rode around in 2nd gear, something like 24 by 31, because that was all I could manage at the time.

Now I use a road triple with a 38 middle ring, and I am down from the wall climbing cassette to 11-28 in the back. So, I'm usually around 38 by 21 now, but with much higher cadence. Spin to win.

edit--forgot the why: I was fat and out of shape, and now I am not. I went from losing weight goals to endurance event goals, and the equipment got better along the way as needed.

Last edited by chewybrian; 08-25-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-25-15, 07:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I only ride fixed gear and single speed bikes. Don't even own a multi geared bike.

bike #1- fixed gear 46x18 ratio
bike #2- fixed gear 36x17 ratio ( this one is for winter riding )
bike #3- single speed 38x14 gear ratio
Old 08-25-15, 08:17 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I do a lot of miles on both my touring bike that has a 24-tooth granny and a touring tandem that has a 26-tooth granny coupled to either a 30,32 or 34 tooth rear cog. However, since those low gears are so that I/we can get up very steep grades with full loads, the granny gears rarely see the chain during the 200-400 miles I ride each week.

It does make me think that if I ever decide to purchase a tandem with an eye more towards performance, I might just consider right-side drive and a double instead of a triple.
Old 08-25-15, 09:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'm talking about GEAR as in sprockets and chainrings--not jerseys and blinkies. Maybe you've changed your gearing preference for various reasons. Even if you ride a single speed, tell us about that.

I live in a hilly area. I use all my gears.
Old 08-25-15, 10:00 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Any tyre that doesn't have Schwalbe written on it. They never crack, seldom flat.

Any bike that has deraillers on it. What stupid excuse for technology. I now have both Rohloff 14 for hills and Sturmey Archer 5w for thrills. I can now go ride and ride and ride .... till the damn chain stretches. Quiet as a mouse. Klunkery is a fading memory.
Old 08-26-15, 06:39 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by fietsbob
"5th or 6th" is technically vaporous, Count teeth front and back , that is the way you properly describe gear ratios

like 'I climb the Alps in my 42 : 26 on my road bike' ,,
I'm sure you're right, but it would be difficult to count the cogs on a bike I no longer have. And I doubt if I would do it anyways. My up-close eyesight is just not what it used to be!

Wait a minute..."vaporous"? Did you just call me a gas bag?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-26-15, 06:44 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I only ride fixed gear and single speed bikes. Don't even own a multi geared bike.

bike #1- fixed gear 46x18 ratio
bike #2- fixed gear 36x17 ratio ( this one is for winter riding )
bike #3- single speed 38x14 gear ratio
I was thinking I really could use a fixed gear, since most of my riding is only one or two closely related gears anyway. But what is the advantage of having three separate bikes with a different gear on each, as opposed to having only one bike with all three gears on it?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-26-15, 07:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

that gas keeps this site afloat
Old 08-26-15, 01:38 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use all of my gears. 20 on the Fargo, I think 27 on the Rocky Mountain. As low as 18 gear inches Fargo and 16 on the Rocky Mountain. I don't care about the other end of the range, I'm probably just coasting down a hill by that point anyway.
Old 08-26-15, 03:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
But what is the advantage of having three separate bikes with a different gear on each, as opposed to having only one bike with all three gears on it?
No real advantage, it's just my personal preference. As a car-free person who relies on bikes everyday I like to have more then one, it's good to have a backup bike. Each of my bikes is different and set up differently, rides and handles differently, I like to have a bit of variety. I am a huge big fan of single speed bikes and I would rather have few single gear bikes then one with multiple gears.
Old 08-26-15, 04:14 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have four bikes. One an out-and-out racing road bike, compact 50/36 crank and 12/25 10 speed cassette. One a steel road bike with a 50/39/30 triple crank, also a 12/25 10 speed cassette. I like the triple because it gives me a lower gear without my having to sacrifice the nice close ratios at the back. One a heavy-duty touring bike with a Rohloff IGH. Low gear about 18 gear inches, I could just about ride up a cliff face on the thing. And one FG/SS geared at 42/16. My go-to bike for poodling around town, running errands and so forth.
Old 08-28-15, 08:26 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I ended up selling my gorgeous (to me) geared road bike in 2010 when there was a recession blah blah blah and I needed to pay rent. I had one other bike at that time - a fixed gear that I used for transportation - and continued road biking on that.

Eventually, I built a better fixed gear, and I still use it for (summer) commuting and longer rides with moderate climbs (500-600 feet over 2 miles). It's set up with 44x17 as the gear of choice. I have a bad weather fixed gear, with cyclocross tires, set up with 42x16. The only time I really use variable gears is on the hauling/winter bike.

I originally went SS/FG because 1) my derailleurs kept getting crushed by heavy bikes under the bus, and 2) I thought it was cool. Now that I am no longer cool and no longer ride the bus, I keep going FG because it is too much darn fun and I enjoy the looks of astonishment from "real" road cyclists.
Old 08-28-15, 08:49 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Which I use less...

46-12 because if I am going down hill I am seldom pedaling anyway. My roads are flat or steep, not long shallow runs.
30-32 because I have short sharp climbs, then back to the middle of the cluster.

Actually, I don't use the 30 front much at all, because I sized the front rings to minimize front shifts, and the small one is more of a bailout.
Old 08-28-15, 11:33 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a touring bike with a triple in front, and I almost never use the big cog; the bike and what I'm hauling are kind of heavy, and the entire city that I live in consists almost entirely of pretty steep hills. I'm thinking of switching to a compact double that's geared a bit lower, if there is such a thing. As it stands, I'm pretty much not ever using the upper 1/3 of my current gear range.
Old 08-29-15, 12:09 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I don't use double chainrings or 39 tooth chainrings. I use 50 to 53 tooth outer chainrings, 38 or 42 middle, 42-44 fix gear, and 24 or 28 inners. All my bikes are either triples or fixed. Flip flop hubs are fixed on both sides.

No rear cogs are bigger than 28 teeth, 23 fixed (though I would buy an 1/8" 24 in a flash if I ever saw one).

Edit: I do use every 1/8" fix gear cog made (that I Have ever seen). 12 teeth through 23 teeth. 16 and 17 a lot. 15 if I am feeling really strong and want a real workout. 12 - 14 are great downhill gears. Feeling weak? 18 and 19. 20 - 23 for climbing. I have done some epic rides on the 17 and 23 with 12 tooth and cog wrench strapped to my bike (like up to, then around the Crater Lake rim then down to Prescott. Included in that ride was an oops! halfway to Diamond Lake.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-29-15 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-29-15, 06:50 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I was thinking I really could use a fixed gear, since most of my riding is only one or two closely related gears anyway. But what is the advantage of having three separate bikes with a different gear on each, as opposed to having only one bike with all three gears on it?

Sturmey-Archer makes a 3 speed fixed gear hub...

I have one fixed gear bike with a flip/flop hub on it. I also have a couple of single speed coaster brake bikes. There is something about just hopping on a bike and pedaling without having to worry about anything but steering and pedaling, maybe braking.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-29-15, 06:52 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
No real advantage, it's just my personal preference. As a car-free person who relies on bikes everyday I like to have more then one, it's good to have a backup bike. Each of my bikes is different and set up differently, rides and handles differently, I like to have a bit of variety. I am a huge big fan of single speed bikes and I would rather have few single gear bikes then one with multiple gears.
I agree that being car-free you need more than one bike. When I was living that way I had a Raleigh 3 speed that was my daily rider and a Motobecane 10 speed that was used for longer rides, touring and a back up. In the 7 years I think the Raleigh only let me down a couple of times, and IIRC it was due to my running late and it having flat tires.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-03-15, 08:24 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I found that I'm using less gears as I get older! Since I live in the city, the Sturmey Archer 3 speed is more than adequate. However, the SA3 is missing a lower gear and most of the time I wish 1st gear was lower. Someone should make a four speed bike with the following gear inches.

1st ------- 24 inches
2nd ------ 34 inches
3rd -------54 inches
4th -------60 inches

When I ride my derailluer bikes, I find that I'm only using 4 gears the most. I ride at 54 inches about 99% of the time. When I start climbing a hill, I'll go into it as fast as possible and downshift to the tripple and spin up the hill. All the shifting is unnecessary because the small tripple ring solves this problem.