Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Domane SLR opinions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Domane SLR opinions

Old 01-29-17, 12:02 PM
garysol1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Domane SLR opinions

Anyone have any real world long term reviews of a Domane SLR? I have all the bits and pieces to build up a endurance bike and so far I like what I have seen and read on the Domane SLR. I can find lots of first ride reviews online but no real long term reviews. Some things I am looking for is just how well the front ISO speed isolates front vibrations. Does the bike feel overly dead and muted or is it a good balance between vibration isolation and decent road feel....etc... I am looking to build up the non disc version and I plan to run a 28c tire max.

Last edited by garysol1; 01-29-17 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 03:44 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
I love mine...I've had it since September but only rode it through early November until the snow pushed me back into the basement.

I was coming from a Domane 4.5 (Caliper). My opinion is as follows:

The front Isospeed on its own provides a modest (possibly underwhelming) improvement in vibration attenuation. Likewise, the effect of the Isocore bar is again, subtle. This is relative to the existing isolation provided by the seat-tube Isospeed which anyone whose ridden any Domane has experienced.

The most dominant improvement I enjoyed in moving to the SLR was as a result of choosing the disc version - I am able to run very wide tires (32C) at lower pressures - by far the most dramatic improvement front and rear.

The cumulative effect of all of those technologies come together to create an extremely comfortable and stable road bike for long hauls. I look forward to riding it on the GFNY in a few months with my new Enve 4.5 AR Discs.

Old 01-29-17, 04:28 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I love mine...I've had it since September but only rode it through early November until the snow pushed me back into the basement.
Beautiful Bike!!!! I do prefer disc for endurance bikes for the reasons that you gave plus the obvious BUT I have all of the parts to build up a caliper version so I am kind of stuck going that route. Using the Bontager Speed Stop brakes I will probably be limited to a big 28c tire so I will mostly be relying on the ISO speed systems to deliver the ride compliance and not the tires as much. Currently I ride a Emonda SLR and I am really trying to figure out how much of a smoother ride I should expect changing nothing but the frame.
Old 01-29-17, 04:50 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Originally Posted by garysol1
Beautiful Bike!!!! I do prefer disc for endurance bikes for the reasons that you gave plus the obvious BUT I have all of the parts to build up a caliper version so I am kind of stuck going that route. Using the Bontager Speed Stop brakes I will probably be limited to a big 28c tire so I will mostly be relying on the ISO speed systems to deliver the ride compliance and not the tires as much. Currently I ride a Emonda SLR and I am really trying to figure out how much of a smoother ride I should expect changing nothing but the frame.

Between the Emonda and the Domane, the more pronounced difference on long rides is from the increased wheelbase of the Domane...it requires fewer fine adjustments to maintain your track, whereas the Emonda is more of a full-time job to keep tracking straight over bumping asphalt (my experience anyway)...I have found the Emonda relatively more fatiguing as a result.
Old 01-29-17, 04:58 PM
garysol1 

Between the Emonda and the Domane, the more pronounced difference on long rides is from the increased wheelbase of the Domane...it requires fewer fine adjustments to maintain your track, whereas the Emonda is more of a full-time job to keep tracking straight over bumping asphalt (my experience anyway)...I have found the Emonda relatively more fatiguing as a result.
I should have also noted that I had a Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 before the Emonda. If the Domane does at least as good of a job as the Roubaix did then I will be happy.
Old 01-29-17, 05:02 PM
SkepticalOne

I should have also noted that I had a Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 before the Emonda. If the Domane does at least as good of a job as the Roubaix did then I will be happy.
Good luck on the build

I put 9,500km on a Domane in 2016...It's a beautiful package in all trim levels.
Old 01-29-17, 05:12 PM
garysol1 

Good luck on the build

I put 9,500km on a Domane in 2016...It's a beautiful package in all trim levels.
Thanks. I hope it comes out as nice as yours!
Old 01-30-17, 05:31 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have similar feelings as "SimilarOne" above. The adjustable rear decoupler is fantastic, but the front decoupler and isocore bar have noticeably less damping - which is good IMO, it still gives good feedback and road feel, without being harsh. Overall I think one of the biggest differences in ride quality is being able to run high-quality, wide tires (32's, also on the disc model. You can fit Schwalbe S-One 30's set up tubeless in the caliper brake model though) at a reasonably low pressure.

Overall, fantastic riding bike, and very comfortable
Old 01-30-17, 07:20 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

The front Isospeed on its own provides a modest (possibly underwhelming) improvement in vibration attenuation. Likewise, the effect of the Isocore bar is again, subtle. This is relative to the existing isolation provided by the seat-tube Isospeed which anyone whose ridden any Domane has experienced.

The most dominant improvement I enjoyed in moving to the SLR was as a result of choosing the disc version - I am able to run very wide tires (32C) at lower pressures - by far the most dramatic improvement front and rear.

The cumulative effect of all of those technologies come together to create an extremely comfortable and stable road bike for long hauls. I look forward to riding it on the GFNY in a few months with my new Enve 4.5 AR Discs.

That is a beautiful bike. I've been wanting move my etap from my Domane 4.5 to this frame. Now I just can't wait. Of course, I'm going to have to save up for the wheels.
Old 01-31-17, 10:29 PM
uscdigital

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 02-01-17, 04:34 AM
garysol1 

I bit the bullet and ordered up the SLR frameset in the caliper brake version. As much as I wanted the disc version if I really feel the need to run bigger than a 28c I can just grab my cross bike. Hopefully built up I can get her just at 15lbs. Thats my goal at least.
Old 02-01-17, 05:38 AM
SkepticalOne

I bit the bullet and ordered up the SLR frameset in the caliper brake version. As much as I wanted the disc version if I really feel the need to run bigger than a 28c I can just grab my cross bike. Hopefully built up I can get her just at 15lbs. Thats my goal at least.

Wonderful choice. You will love it! I really like the red accent on the frameset-only.
Old 02-02-17, 07:17 PM
garysol1 

Wonderful choice. You will love it! I really like the red accent on the frameset-only.
Ugh..... My new Domane arrived today only to have a cable stop screw cross threaded and sitting crooked. Back in the box it went. I expect its replacement should come tomorrow. Talk about a downer
Old 02-02-17, 08:08 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have to ask.. at this point why would you not go for the disc frameset when you are spending so much and they are the same price?
Old 02-02-17, 08:12 PM
garysol1 

Originally Posted by vinuneuro
I have to ask.. at this point why would you not go for the disc frameset when you are spending so much and they are the same price?
Easy answer.... I already have everything from the direct mount brakes, wheelset and D/A shifters to build up the rim brake bike. If I went disc I would have to spend another $1,500 just in components to build it up. If not for that I would have prefered a disc model for this bike.
Old 02-02-17, 08:13 PM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Easy answer.... I already have everything from the direct mount brakes, wheelset and D/A shifters to build up the rim brake bike. If I went disc I would have to spend another $1,500 just in components to build it up. If not for that I would have prefered a disc model.
That's a great reason
Old 02-03-17, 08:03 AM
SkepticalOne

Easy answer.... I already have everything from the direct mount brakes, wheelset and D/A shifters to build up the rim brake bike. If I went disc I would have to spend another $1,500 just in components to build it up. If not for that I would have prefered a disc model for this bike.

Looking forward to the pics!
Old 02-03-17, 08:44 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Old 02-03-17, 11:06 AM
SkepticalOne

Originally Posted by sh00k
[img]https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder584/400x/31929584.jpg[img]
Lots of room for fatter tires

Old 02-03-17, 01:48 PM
garysol1 

And the build begins.......

Last edited by garysol1; 02-08-17 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 09:45 AM
FMB51

Bikes: Colnago C59 : Look 695 : Moots Routt 45

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks Great!!

My next build will be a disc endurance rig. Right now, I've narrowed my choices to Orbed Avant and the Domane SLR.
Old 02-06-17, 11:25 AM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Both great looking bikes. Can't wait to see it all built up and a ride report
Old 02-08-17, 03:02 PM
garysol1 

My build on my SLR is complete except for a black saddle and I overshot my projected weight by a tad. I was wanting 15lb anything ready to ride and I ended up with 16.01 with pedals, cages and Garmin mount with 28c tires. Still not bad for an endurance bike.
Old 02-08-17, 03:40 PM
SkepticalOne

My build on my SLR is complete except for a black saddle and I overshot my projected weight by a tad. I was wanting 15lb anything ready to ride and I ended up with 16.01 with pedals, cages and Garmin mount with 28c tires. Still not bad for an endurance bike.
Nice! Just need to update your signature
Old 02-08-17, 03:50 PM
garysol1 

Nice! Just need to update your signature
Done and Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.