Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Rollerbrakes ??

Old 06-08-17, 10:37 AM
keg61
short WIDE Clyde

Bikes: 2014 Nashbar flatbar roadbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rollerbrakes ??

do any of y'all have opinions/experience with Shimano's roller brake. it was suggested by one of my favorite bike guys, he insists they are superior to discs which I don't believe for a second but I'm thinking about giving one a try. at the Drs yesterday I weighed in at 349 pounds so I buy into the "heating up on descents" theory more than a lighter rider... thoughts ?
Old 06-08-17, 11:46 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I just read through some of this. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rollerbrakes.html

I'd pass based on this,"There have been reports of grease's catching on fire during long descents!"
Old 06-08-17, 02:38 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Rollers are even less influenced by weather than discs. Will go longer before needing any wear items replaced.
Won't give as much braking for a given amount of hand effort.
Old 06-09-17, 05:16 PM
keg61
short WIDE Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Rollers are even less influenced by weather than discs. Will go longer before needing any wear items replaced.
Won't give as much braking for a given amount of hand effort.
the weather part I buy and think it's a really good thing but at my size I want something that works when I ask it to
Old 06-09-17, 10:37 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by keg61
the weather part I buy and think it's a really good thing but at my size I want something that works when I ask it to
When I was touring Europe my system weight was 330lbs and I did 80km/h mountain descents just fine with discs. I had a 203mm front disc and I managed to burn up my brakes a couple of times, but that just resulted in slighly less power for a couple of km's and more noise during that time.
Old 06-10-17, 05:38 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by keg61
Well, how long are your descents?

Roller brakes have been known to overheat - although I believe the Shimano ones with the big cooling discs are supposed to do quite well wrt this - but are generally supposed to be quite reliable.

I wouldn't worry about instant failure. Possibly gradual fade.
Old 06-10-17, 06:37 AM
keg61
short WIDE Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Well, how long are your descents?

Roller brakes have been known to overheat - although I believe the Shimano ones with the big cooling discs are supposed to do quite well wrt this - but are generally supposed to be quite reliable.

I wouldn't worry about instant failure. Possibly gradual fade.
I'm thinking of one hill in particular, it's a mile and a half 7% and 30 years ago I routinely hit 50mph on it when I weighed half what I do now. I spend a lot of time obsessing over brakes largely because I'm recovering from a stroke and am not fully confident of modulating with my left hand. it's been decades since I went over a set of handlebars, I don't think I'd recover well from it. I appreciate the input and think if I was riding around town I'd go hub brake but I'll probably go v on this bike because I don't want to buy disc specific wheels( i know a lot of y'all build your own wheels, I don't/can't)
Old 06-15-17, 07:18 AM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have used rollerbrakes, and yes, they began to smoke on al long descent. So don't use rollerbrakes unless you are cycling in a very flat area. In fact the combination of 21+ gears and rollerbrakes is downright dangerous, suggesting that such a bike is capable of climbing hills. It is, but the descent will be very dangerous.