Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Dutch Reach: A No-Tech Way to Save Bicyclists’ Lives

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 05:07 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/s...y-drivers.html
'If Michael Charney has his way, more Americans would adopt a simple method to prevent “doorings,” a type of collision when a driver or passenger in a parked car opens a door into the path of a cyclist.

He calls the maneuver the “Dutch Reach,” and it works like this: When you are about to exit the car, you reach across your body for the door handle with your far or opposite hand. This action forces you to turn toward the side view mirror, out and then back over your shoulder to be sure a bicyclist is not coming from behind. Only then do you slowly open the door. '
Old 10-06-18, 10:55 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Great... now train the millions of "entitled" motorists how to do this.

I saw a PSA on this morning's News show about how to adjust car mirrors properly... gee if we can only get drivers to do that, and the Dutch Reach... and drive the speed limit...
Old 10-07-18, 01:35 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I guess I'll just save my own life by not riding within reach of any car door that may open.

Funny, it sounds so easy and yet I find myself going well out of my way just to stay off of roads with door-zone bike lanes because staying clear of the door zone, though legal, isn't something that the typical motorist understands. If we can't get them to understand why many of us won't ride in the door zone, how in the world can we get them to take effort to lessen the hazard? (Not that I really care how many of them don't open their door into passing cyclists; it only takes that one time.)
Old 10-07-18, 01:55 AM
andpan32

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Keep talking to people, that's the best way to educate them

Moving to the Netherlands
Old 10-07-18, 04:05 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
'If Michael Charney has his way, more Americans would adopt a simple method to prevent “doorings,” a type of collision when a driver or passenger in a parked car opens a door into the path of a cyclist.

He calls the maneuver the “Dutch Reach,” and it works like this: When you are about to exit the car, you reach across your body for the door handle with your far or opposite hand.

This action forces you to turn toward the side view mirror, out and then back over your shoulder to be sure a bicyclist is not coming from behind. Only then do you slowly open the door.’
Originally Posted by genec
Great... now train the millions of "entitled" motorists how to do this.

I saw a PSA on this morning's News show about how to adjust car mirrors properly... gee if we can only get drivers to do that, and the Dutch Reach... and drive the speed limit... :innocent
Originally Posted by andpan32
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
If we can't get them to understand why many of us won't ride in the door zone, how in the world can we get them to take effort to lessen the hazard?

(Not that I really care how many of them don't open their door into passing cyclists; it only takes that one time.)
Captain Bringdown here:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Personally, I find any discussions about cycling with motorists futile, especially those exchanged while en route, often with hostility.

When off the bike, e.g. at work they are usually pleasant, but vacuous, for example when I’m called a saint. When they complain, it’s often about cyclists riding two or more abreast, no lights, ninjas, etc…valid complaints IMO…
In fact, even cyclists can be dense about cycling when they are behind the wheel. :
Originally Posted by Equinox
When YOU are the Motorist”

I am a very cautious motorist and I take driving safety very seriously. But, like everyone who has driven as long as I have, I've had some "close calls" where I thought I could have been better in retrospect…

I also had an incident once where I didn't see a road cyclist because he was obscured by my pillar. It made me realize what a small profile cyclists present, and now I always double check that pillar.

Have you had any incidents that you're not quite proud of?
As a cyclist, I always look particularly hard for cyclists, making me a more cautious driver than usual, especially in Boston. I agree that viewing rearward on the right side is one of the most hazard-fraught manuevers.

My worst transgression(s) have been since a bike lane was positioned in front of our condo, outside the parking lane. At the beginning I was lax to look for oncoming cyclists, but no incidents...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-07-18 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-07-18, 04:22 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I guess I'll just save my own life by not riding within reach of any car door that may open.
I perennially post:
…Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms, collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience,are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least [to include…]:

• Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side
Those are all I remember for now, and they all pop-up in my mind as I encounter the situation.
Note that I look for opening doors on both sides.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-07-18 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-09-18, 06:47 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not so fast ...

Ive only been doored once before ... in Amsterdam. Maybe he was a non local ... Damn foreigners.

Originally Posted by andpan32

Moving to the Netherlands
Old 10-10-18, 09:58 AM
Bicyclist008

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm fairly sure its part of the driving test over there. Don't know why its not more widely used.
Old 10-10-18, 03:59 PM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I never heard of this before I read about on an English or American Internet forum. I also never use it in a car. We just get taught to look for bikes before opening a car door. I'm from the Nether Lands.
Old 10-15-18, 07:18 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
My idea to mistake proof this is a low tech one. Design car doors such that they can only be opened when two latches are pulled vice one. If you're in the front, you would first have to hold open a latch on the car's B-pillar and then pull the door latch. This would force you to twist your body around whether or not you like it. The same design would be applied to the rear seats and also double as a backup childproofing measure.
Old 10-15-18, 11:25 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by JW Fas
My idea to mistake proof this is a low tech one. Design car doors such that they can only be opened when two latches are pulled vice one. If you're in the front, you would first have to hold open a latch on the car's B-pillar and then pull the door latch. This would force you to twist your body around whether or not you like it. The same design would be applied to the rear seats and also double as a backup childproofing measure.
Will never happen... the first car maker to do this will discover low sales and third party gimmicks to bypass this.

You are expecting 98% of the population to learn something new, or buy a less convenient vehicle to "support" the mere 2% of the population that cycles.

Won't happen.

Learn to ride out of the door zone... even take the lane... don't depend on drivers to do the right thing... ever. You will live longer by riding defensively. Even other motorists are taught to drive defensively. Think about this... DRIVERS don't expect other DRIVERS to always do the right thing​​​​​​.
Old 10-17-18, 05:52 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...otect-cyclists
Old 10-17-18, 06:37 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
WOW, I was taught to look, before I opened my door after parking on a street, to see if there was a car coming before I opened the door on a street With traffic.. and, No, it wasn't about bicycles, but it was about traffic... and about not getting your door ripped off by a passing vehicle...
Old 10-19-18, 07:14 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The so-called "Dutch Reach" is BS. It was invented by an American. There's nothing "Dutch" about it. And it doesn't do what he claims it does. I can easily reach my right hand over in my car to pull the door handle while still looking ahead. Or, if I do turn my head, I certainly can't see backwards alongside the car due to the B-pillar. That's what the side mirror is for. We don't need some superfluous maneuvers taught to us. We need it drilled into our skulls to simply LOOK before opening car doors.
Old 10-19-18, 11:28 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,645 Times in 827 Posts
If people can remember to use their right hand, wouldn't also stand to reason that they could remember to use mirrors.
Old 10-19-18, 06:20 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
The so-called "Dutch Reach" is BS. It was invented by an American. There's nothing "Dutch" about it. And it doesn't do what he claims it does.
Instappen ? Uitstappen in de Lesauto | Autorij-instructie

-mr. bill
Old 10-19-18, 09:16 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
All that is needed is a simple redesign of the doors. Move the door handles backwards just in front of the backrest. It will make it impossible to open the door with the hand closest to the door but easy for the other hand.

No need for the occupants to try to remember.
Old 10-19-18, 09:21 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,223 Posts
They already have a door that won't open when it senses a side hazard.
Old 10-20-18, 05:34 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
They already have a door that won't open when it senses a side hazard.
meh, doors are overengineered

the Brits drew the MOKE

Old 10-20-18, 07:38 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,588 Times in 1,223 Posts
Okay, the guy who ordered the vehicle...
Old 10-21-18, 08:36 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I don't usually comment on dumb ideas, but this one is extraordinary. Mandating bad engineering that would dangerously trap people in their vehicles, in an attempt to coerce people into turning their head. Which wouldn't even work.
Old 10-22-18, 03:05 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5996 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
To be fair, I don't remember those instructions either. I do remember my parents getting angry when opening the door without looking.

Still there's always a chance of someone not paying attention, but usually you can see if someone is in the car and there's nothing wrong with a pre-emptive use of the bell.
Old 10-22-18, 08:37 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
"This website has been blocked by your IT provider". Oh well
Old 10-22-18, 08:47 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I don't usually comment on dumb ideas, but this one is extraordinary. Mandating bad engineering that would dangerously trap people in their vehicles, in an attempt to coerce people into turning their head. Which wouldn't even work.
While I do agree wth you 100%, bear in mind that through the ages "bad engineering" has been mandated before, due to the proclivities of humans... the most common keyboard layout is an example of this... it was intentionally designed to slow down "fast fingers," to keep from jamming the poor type mechanism. The Touch Tone phone keypad suffers the same fate.
Old 10-22-18, 12:22 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
To be fair, I don't remember those instructions either. I do remember my parents getting angry when opening the door without looking.

Still there's always a chance of someone not paying attention, but usually you can see if someone is in the car and there's nothing wrong with a pre-emptive use of the bell.
The fact is a guy from Cambridge (our fair city) MA didn’t “invent” the Dutch Reach.

I didn’t ride in the door zone in Amsterdam (and there are a lot of so-called DZBL in Amsterdam). Virtually EVERYONE else I saw on a bicycle was not at all worried about car doors. But then again, I showed my incompetence by wearing a bicycle helmet too.

-mr. bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.