Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on ~$3k Endurance vs Gravel vs CX bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on ~$3k Endurance vs Gravel vs CX bikes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 07:37 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by jaypeeq
I'm looking for opinions on all these types of bikes. This seems like a very muddy field of marketing BS right now. We're seeing all kinds of bikes with these terms thrown around. The general MO seems to be the same with all. I.E. taller stack, shorter reach, disc brakes, big tire clearance, longer chain stays, vertical compliance, blah, blah, blah. I am looking for a bike for riding all around the NYC/NJ area. 99% pavement but the characteristics of these adventure/endurance/gravel bikes appeal to me and I like to entertain the idea that I'll be heading towards a dirt road at some point.

Considering the following :

Sleek German Bikes-
Focus Paralane or
Wait for Canyon Endurace to hit the USA?
Rose X-Lite

Others:
Scott Addict Gravel
Scott Solace
Orbed Avant
Felt VR
Cannondale Synapse

What else?
I appreciate your experiences, thoughts, and comparisons.

I am not sure what you ended up doing but as someone who lives in NYC (Bronx) and rides in the Tri-State area I will say a gravel bike sounds like a great idea and might be for some but I still think you can get away with a road bike with 28cm-30cm tires. I have a Scott Addict 20 Disc non gravel and even with 28cm tires it does a pretty great job on most NYC pavement. I will say having 35cm of tire on a gravel would make it ultra plush for a drop bar bike but would be a noticeable step down in speed IMO.

If you are still looking for gravel bikes then yeah I can recommend the Scott Scale 20 Gravel, Giant Revolt, or even a bikes direct Motobecane Immortal Disc Pro as a higher end budget option. I will say you can find leftover Felt VR cheap New on ebay however VR's are pretty heavy even for a carbon bike at like 20 lbs stock.

Piermontbikes based in NY is one of the biggest bike wholesalers and sells on ebay, right now he has a lot of Felt VR

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Bicycles/17...p2046732.m1684
Old 06-08-19, 03:29 PM
aprieto28

Bikes: Kuwahara Tandem, Centurion Ironman, Rossin, De bernardi, Schwinn Paramount, Giubilato, Gitane TDF, Medici, Scott Solice.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts
2015 Scott Solace 2.0 Ultegra

Wheels up-graded to "Blade" Carbon/Alloy. Nice riding bike.

Last edited by aprieto28; 06-08-19 at 03:29 PM. Reason: *
Old 06-08-19, 03:45 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
If weary of marketing BS buy some classic bikes. No market for them, they are at giveaway. It has all been done before. Get every feature you can imagine at 2 or 3 hundred a bike. Figure out which features you like and then buy a new or classic bike that has all of them. Only thing you can't have classic is the discs. They have been around maybe 50 years, didn't work so well until recently.