Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nuvinci Owners: An Experiment

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 07:23 AM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a bike with a Nuvinci 330. I really like the Nuvinci hub . . . especially how I can shift under a load like when climbing a hill. I can dial the hub to just the perfect ratio and continually make minor adjustments as the hill gets either steeper or flatter.

I have another bike that seems to be better at both climbing steep hills and going faster down those same hills. So for giggles, I compared its distance of travel in both the lowest and highest of gears. The results should have been approximately 3.3X greater distance per revolution of crank in its high gear than in its low gear (i.e., the "330" in Nuvinci 330 means 330% range of gears), but that's not what I recorded. I was only getting about 2.5X more travel.

The bike is currently in the shop where they've confirmed that I'm not getting the full 330% range (with all of the error occurring in the higher gears). So I'm curious for anyone with a Nuvinci bike willing to conduct a very fast test: are you getting the full 3.3X increase from your Nuvinci N330 or are you getting the full 3.6X increase from your Nuvinci N360.

You can nerd out with a tape measure but really you can just estimate with paces. If your low gear results in ~3 paces, then your high gear better result in ~10 paces of travel.
Old 07-09-19, 08:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The fractional inversion math for the gear ratio , as I understand, works like with a 3 speed

which is a over b, and b over a (for the AW3 is 4/3 ,overdrive, for high , and 3/4, reduction, for low)
on either side of 1:1 direct drive, cog turns hubshell as if one..

but of course is a variable not a fixed number but the relationship remains the same ...
Old 07-09-19, 09:26 AM
Payton1221

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The fractional inversion math for the gear ratio , as I understand, works like with a 3 speed

which is a over b, and b over a (for the AW3 is 4/3 ,overdrive, for high , and 3/4, reduction, for low)
on either side of 1:1 direct drive, cog turns hubshell as if one..

but of course is a variable not a fixed number but the relationship remains the same ...
Exactly . . . I think

The Nuvinci has a 1.65 overdrive and a 0.5 reduction hence 1.65/0.5 = 3.3X faster in its highest setting versus its lowest setting.
Old 07-11-19, 06:27 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Is it possible that the overdrive needs to be reset? Do the two yellow marks line up, like this video talks about at around the 17-second mark?

Old 07-12-19, 05:03 PM
Payton1221

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Is it possible that the overdrive needs to be reset? Do the two yellow marks line up, like this video talks about at around the 17-second mark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn_qsdpFtT8
Well done Jonathan!!! That's exactly what's wrong with it. My LBS has unsuccessfully tried to do this multiple times, and they're in the process now of replacing it with another hub from Nuvinci under warranty.
Old 07-13-19, 07:05 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Payton1221
Well done Jonathan!!! That's exactly what's wrong with it. My LBS has unsuccessfully tried to do this multiple times, and they're in the process now of replacing it with another hub from Nuvinci under warranty.
Odd that it wouldn't reset. Good about the warranty though.