Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Best bibshorts for 10 hours +?

Old 08-26-19, 04:32 AM
1000yardsatare

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Best bibshorts for 10 hours +?

hello
apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but do members have a recommendation for best bibshorts for 10 hours+ events and trianing rides? i am 1.82 meters, 83 kgs and i suffer bad saddle sores once i go over 8 hours per day; ive tried all types of branded shorts over the last 5 years (castelli, endura, dhb, shimano, mavic, ale), i always wash the shorts after use, i always use chamois cremme etc . any ideas?
also have changed saddles over the years, tried fizik antares, prologo and the saddles that came with various bikes, the shorts seem to be the issue though
any suggestions welcome, thanks

Last edited by 1000yardsatare; 08-26-19 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-26-19, 05:47 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I wore 4 pairs of endura shorts/bibs over PBP and only had some minor saddle sores crop up. I don't use chamois creme but I do carry iodine prep pads with me and use them to clean the nether regions. They seem to really make a difference to me but you'll end up with yellow fingers after using them.
Old 08-26-19, 06:45 AM
1000yardsatare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks Clasher i woul dnot mind the yellow fingetrs if it saved me from the SS! and well done on PBP
Old 08-26-19, 11:08 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Thanks! I found the pads on amazon, if you search for proviodine they should come up. I use them after a ride too if the little bumps are making an appearance they usually disappear after a night. I'll use them after a shower at the end of a ride too to keep the bumps in check. Some folks have also had good experience switching short brands on the multi-day rides.
Old 08-26-19, 11:13 AM
alois

Bikes: Avaghon series 28; Fuji Touring 2016; Santos Travelmaster 2.8

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The fact that you've already tried a lot of different bib shorts suggests that you might want to try something else, for instance lowering your handlebar stem or cycling faster (if that is possible). I myself use mostly Assos bib shorts, but also a bioracer bib short provided by our local randonneur club. Neither gave any problems on PBP.
Old 08-26-19, 11:21 AM
1000yardsatare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i did try this also raising the stem, and changing body position ; these work form short rides and shoet races but for longer brevets it does not solve the problem. on average my speed for 300 km is ~ 25kph, and for 400km is ~22kph ; but afterwards i need 3-4 days off the bike completely with saddle sores.....
Old 08-26-19, 02:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Where do you get the saddle sores? Is it right over your ischial tuberosities (sit bones), along the edges of the chamois, or somewhere else?
Old 08-26-19, 02:44 PM
1000yardsatare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Where do you get the saddle sores? Is it right over your ischial tuberosities (sit bones), along the edges of the chamois, or somewhere else?
Normally over the sit bones
Old 08-26-19, 11:42 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Do you sweat a lot, and then find that your shorts feel sticky as you ride? If so, try cleaning your bum with something like baby wipes (and reapplying chamois cream) at regular intervals, eg every 100km or every control stop or similar.
Old 08-27-19, 12:10 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Have you tried Bag Balm. either to prevent the sores or so you can continue riding after they have started? (Bag Balm, a 100+ year old ointment concocted for farm use that many cyclists found works very well. Look for it at any old-school pharmacy in a small rectangular can that looks like it was painted by an artist when it was concocted. The can is basically green. It was formulated in the very early days of mechanical milkers when cows started refusing to subject their teats to the abuse of those early machines. The machines quickly got better. Housewives just as quickly started finding all sorts of human uses for this now surplus stuff. I learned about it as a chamois cream 25 years ago from a tandem stoker.)

Ben
Old 08-27-19, 01:07 AM
1000yardsatare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by atwl77
Do you sweat a lot, and then find that your shorts feel sticky as you ride? If so, try cleaning your bum with something like baby wipes (and reapplying chamois cream) at regular intervals, eg every 100km or every control stop or similar.
thanks i will try that
Old 08-27-19, 05:12 AM
1000yardsatare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you tried Bag Balm. either to prevent the sores or so you can continue riding after they have started? (Bag Balm, a 100+ year old ointment concocted for farm use that many cyclists found works very well. Look for it at any old-school pharmacy in a small rectangular can that looks like it was painted by an artist when it was concocted. The can is basically green. It was formulated in the very early days of mechanical milkers when cows started refusing to subject their teats to the abuse of those early machines. The machines quickly got better. Housewives just as quickly started finding all sorts of human uses for this now surplus stuff. I learned about it as a chamois cream 25 years ago from a tandem stoker.)

Ben
thanks Ben , im not sure that s available in Ireland but ill inquire, ill try anything at this stage!!
Old 08-27-19, 01:26 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
A company in Singapore called RedWhite markets bibshorts that are supposed to be designed for long distance rides, have you tried them? I have a pair of their “race” bibs, but I have no experience with there long distance version.
Old 08-27-19, 03:38 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
I bought some fancy schmancy Pearl Izumi PRO bib shorts and they were fantastic on PBP. I wore them for 280 miles and had no discomfort whatsoever. (In fact I kind of wish I kept them on for another 280 miles.)

I’m also happy with the Voler bibs, with the Orion chamois. The pad seems a little thicker than the Pearl, and just about as comfortable.
Old 08-27-19, 10:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

Ben
+1 on this. Bag Balm is like the Chain-L of, umm, ointments, if that makes any sense at all. It applies thick, stays put, and lubes for a long time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-28-19, 02:38 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I find that if I start out with chamois cream and keep putting it on every 4 hours that I don't usually have problems. This time of year, I don't really bother with anything unless there are problems. I used Lantiseptic on my sitbones at PBP, the skin there got a little raw. In the U.S., I use bag balm as the next step up from chamois cream, but since it's illegal to import into the E.U., I decided to skip it. I'm sure there is something similar available in the E.U., I just didn't feel like tracking it down. My understanding is that it's lanolin. Vaseline/petroleum jelly probably works pretty well as a substitute. I wouldn't use vaseline as my first choice of chamois cream though.

I swapped between different chamois on PBP. First day was the thinner Voler, then Endura, then back to another pair with the same as the first day.
Old 08-28-19, 02:33 PM
1000yardsatare

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ben
Ben, I did some googling and discovered a product here for curing “dairy udder chafing” so ive ordered a 1kg tub of it to test it. Thanks for the steer😂
Likes For 1000yardsatare:
Old 08-29-19, 05:36 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Bag balm is great, and I usually use it when I start to notice that problems have gotten bad. I suggest getting some lantiseptic skin protectant if that fails or if you wait too long, which I have been known to do.
Old 08-30-19, 08:57 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I used to get saddle sores every season in the same spot on my left side and finally figured out that my left leg is shorter than the right. I put a shim under the left cleat, and problem solved, so look into the fit to make sure it's not something like that. I have always used bag balm as a post-ride treatment not chamois cream, so I'm a bit surprised to hear that people are using it that way. My preferred chamois cream is Morgan Blue Solid, but I usually only use chamois cream in the rain, if it's really hot and sweaty or maybe on a multi-day ride.
Old 08-31-19, 05:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I know people who use petroleum jelly as a chamois cream. I think it's bad for the chamois though. I bet bag balm is worse, unless the shorts have a natural chamois. I use it as a rescue cream, only in case I fail to stave off problems with chamois cream. I am curious if there is a substitute for Lantiseptic skin protectant. It's obviously a zinc-based cream like diaper cream, but much more viscous. Which helps if relative motion is bad. I find that it's as good as a bandage.
Old 09-02-19, 04:32 AM
siebengang

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
A company in Singapore called RedWhite markets bibshorts that are supposed to be designed for long distance rides, have you tried them? I have a pair of their “race” bibs, but I have no experience with there long distance version.
I love them and have just used two pairs of new R&W fondo shorts for a 1000 km brevet and then PBP (my 4th and 5th pair). They have a rather thick chamois, which fits me very well. I have tried both the race and the fondo version. Not a huge difference - the race version's pad is a little less bulky and better ventilated. Very reasobably priced compared to high-end Rapha and Assos, and a nice company to deal with.
Old 09-02-19, 10:45 AM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I have tried a few but Pearl Izumi stands out above the rest for me.

I have a regimen to avoid avoid getting sores:

Wipe down everywhere below the belt throughly with a baby wipe soaked in rubbing alcohol (wintergreen with glycerin is what I use now).

I then squirt a moderate amount of the same alcohol onto the chamois. I make a hatch pattern on it, about 1/4” hatching.

Then I massage creme into the Chamois. After that I slap some creme onto myself and make sure to put it in places that have been chaffed before.

Then I put the shorts on and squeeze around to make sure I don’t have any dry spots.

On long rides, if I use a public restroom I’m sure to wipe off any sweat down there, I just use a paper towel. My thought is to wipe away bacteria.

After a ride I shower with the shorts on and wash the outside first (trying to keep outside contamination away from my now probably sore and maybe raw bum) then I wash the inside. After the shower I apply alcohol on a baby wipe to my sit bones.

I havent gotten a sore sore for a long time, but before I added the rubbing alcohol I’d have them often and I didn’t like them!
Old 09-03-19, 09:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Couple things. First, if it's on the sit bones, lots of saddle time is the only thing I've found to help. Lots of saddle time = butt calluses = no more saddle sores. At least until you've soaked those calluses in sweat or rainwater. I haven't tried some of the astringents or straight petroleum jelly, one of those might help. If you can stop and dry off, a powder (Anti Monkey Butt Powder is my favorite, if only for the name) may help save the callus.

Second, Bag Balm is inferior to Chamois Butt'r IME for lubrication while riding. My regime is to use Chamois Butt'r during the ride, re-applying as necessary. When you stop, clean the area and apply Bag Balm -- it really does speed up healing of chafed areas.
Old 09-03-19, 07:23 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 1000yardsatare
hello
apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but do members have a recommendation for best bibshorts for 10 hours+ events and trianing rides? i am 1.82 meters, 83 kgs and i suffer bad saddle sores once i go over 8 hours per day; ive tried all types of branded shorts over the last 5 years (castelli, endura, dhb, shimano, mavic, ale), i always wash the shorts after use, i always use chamois cremme etc . any ideas?
also have changed saddles over the years, tried fizik antares, prologo and the saddles that came with various bikes, the shorts seem to be the issue though
any suggestions welcome, thanks
I like Voler's Elastic Interface Technology Comp HP pad with 10mm of 120 kg/m^3 foam beneath my ischial tuberosities tapering at the edges to 3mm 80 kg/m^3. It's in their Black Label bibs and shorts.

It's comfortable for 200 miles hitting two of three highest paved peaks in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The Orion chamois in their Caliber line is fine too, although the Comp HP is a little more comfortable around the edges so I wear those for 10+ hour rides.

As a 5'10" guy with a 30" pants inseam who wears small shorts and extra small jerseys I settle for shorts and don't try to squeeze into bib suspenders.